J&R Canadian Shipping
Nov 28, 2010 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

papermoon

New Head-Fier
Does anyone have any experience with shipping to canada from J&R? How much tax/duties did you have to pay and how much shipping and how long did it take for you to get the package?

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 17
Shipping was fast, duties and brokerage fees made my purchase just as expensive as buying local which really sucked.

It was the Shure SRH840's.  I bought from JR for $130 (it's over $250 in Canada where I am).  I had to pay like $50 shipping and then duties were another $35.

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 17
J&R?
Short answer- No experience with this store. Lots of purchases from US suppliers, though. Phone store for shipping details.

Longer answer: Avoid UPS/FedEX ground shipping- big add-on brokerage charges. Insist on USPS unless shipper has a good deal on UPS/FedEX/DHL Air shipping (which includes brokerage charges).
Usually you don't have to pay duty, only sales taxes + CanadaPost $5 handling fee. (Depends on country of manufacture...)
Small-value parcels usually come straight through via CanadaPost.

John

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
Shipping was fast, duties and brokerage fees made my purchase just as expensive as buying local which really sucked.

It was the Shure SRH840's.  I bought from JR for $130 (it's over $250 in Canada where I am).  I had to pay like $50 shipping and then duties were another $35.

Your numbers don't quite 'add up' but still a good example.
What shipper did they use?
Did the $250 Cdn include the HST?
The $35 probably included HST, +brokerage/handling fee + perhaps duties.

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 17
Ah, I was basically just throwing numbers out there that I remembered, since it's been a long time since I bought the Shures.  

I asked if they could ship USPS and the guy said no.  I think it was Fedex, they had no other choices for international shipping.  The cheapest I've found in Canada was $250ish before HST, but I know I exaggerated by saying that everything added became just as expensive as buying local.  I meant that the hassle and time invested didn't pay off for me.

And yes, the $35 may have included everything.  

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 17
I've ordered many things from J&R including my D7000. Their shipping via UPS Worldwide includes brokerage but not duties and taxes.

Headphones should not have duties, but so basically, you'll pay GST/PST/HST depending on your location. With UPS, they usually charge you at the door when they deliver it, so keep an eye on the expected delvery date on the tracking info and make sure somebody is home that day and can pay the taxes.

In the past, J&R used fedex. Fedex charges a $10 (ROD fee they call it, but it's like a brokerage fee) + you have to pay the taxes.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 17
I prefer Fedex as they call in advance of delivery to provide details of the taxes payable.  USPS/Canada Post is a (bad) joke. To save a few dollars, you could have your package tied up in Customs for up to 2 weeks - unlike Fedex or UPS who pre-clear everything through their brokers, and with Canada Post, you also may have to pick the parcel up at a Post Office - which I have had to do 2 out of 2 times this year.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 17
Wait, so, if I want to get a package with no surprise duties and costs at my door, which shipping options do I choose?

Seeing a bunch of differing opinions here.... 
frown.gif

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 17

You are seriously over exaggerating your numbers, I paid 35 dollars in shipping for my DT990/ 600, duties is just HST so another 30.
Quote:

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 17
All the services mentioned should get your package directly to your door, but USPS/Canada Post orders will be delayed in Canada Customs. My experience has been 10 days on average. 

Most of the courier services have brokerage costs included in the shipping quote, and so you should only have HST or GST/PST plus in some cases taxes related to where the product, or parts of it, were manufactured.  

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
Wait, so, if I want to get a package with no surprise duties and costs at my door, which shipping options do I choose?

Seeing a bunch of differing opinions here.... 
frown.gif

Choose UPS Worldwide

Here is what I get when I check out at J&R.

Subtotal: $199.99

Shipping: $42.49
Canadian Orders
Shipping is via UPS Worldwide. Shipping charges include brokerage fees, but do not include any import duties, Goods and Services Tax (GST), or Provincial Sales Tax (PST). A further explanation of taxes can be found here. If you have any questions about these fees, consult your local government import office.
Tax: $0.00

Total: $242.48

As I said above, you have to pay the taxes when the item arrives at your door, so look at the estimated delivery date and make sure there is somebody at home with money to give them.

Fedex is faster I don't see it offered as an option.

USPS is cheapest, but your order will take up to 2 weeks, and you still have to pay $7 handling fee + taxes. Only use it when you want to avoid UPS Ground (massive brokerage fees)

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
Most of the courier services have brokerage costs included in the shipping quote, and so you should only have HST or GST/PST plus in some cases taxes related to where the product, or parts of it, were manufactured.  

In my experience, that is only true for the more expensive shipping options. I'm pretty sure the cheapest UPS shipping option does not include brokerage in the base cost.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 17
So, USPS only delays it? But once I ordered the SRH840's and they had 30 dollars in duties when they got to my door...

I would like to avoid that in the future if I can.  So, all I have to pay - no matter of the shipping choice, is tax?

Sorry.. Still a bit confused..

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 17
what are you confused about, I am pretty clear in my post.

- USPS is slow. Pay $7 (handling fee) + taxes. It will probably take 2 weeks (but I've seen them take up to 4 weeks once)
- UPS Worldwide is pretty fast. Pay taxes + no brokerage. You have to pay upfront at the door to receive your package.
- Fedex International is very fast. Pay taxes + $10 brokerage. They will likely contact you before delivery to prepay taxes, or send you a bill in the mail.
- Fedex Ground or UPS Ground. Massive brokerage. Avoid at all costs.

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
So, USPS only delays it? But once I ordered the SRH840's and they had 30 dollars in duties when they got to my door...

I would like to avoid that in the future if I can.  So, all I have to pay - no matter of the shipping choice, is tax?

Sorry.. Still a bit confused..

The idea of duties keeps coming up,  and the responses keep saying that there will, in most cases, be only HST to be paid at the door. (Just as you would have to pay if you bought the item locally.)
And, as has been explained, the cheaper courier service options (UPS Ground, FedEx Ground) will require you to pay brokerage fees ($30 and up) on delivery, on top of the HST owing. (BTW, UPS/FedEx don't tell the shipper about this, so many US shippers need to have this explained to them.)
The more expensive courier shipping options (Air, Worldwide, etc) from the couriers include the brokerage charge in the shipping estimate, but you still have to pay HST - every time, no matter what the value of the package.
USPS/CanadaPost items often come through to me without any taxes or handling charges, even when the value is up to $100.  On more expensive items you will pay a $7 handling charge + HST to the postman at the door- if you are home. I figure 2 weeks for delivery from the US, seldom longer via postal services. And, with CanadaPost you can usually pick up the parcel fairly easily.

BTW, I've never had FedEx call before delivering a parcel. Also, FedEx is very underhanded in the way they charge brokerage on some ground shipments. I've been handed the parcel at the door ('No charge, sir!") and gotten a bill in the mail from Fedex in NB a week later.

Some folks here may have dealt with DigiKey & Mouser for DIY parts. Both of them have very fast flat rate ($10-20) courier shipping with nothing owing at the door (taxes are prepaid, added to the prices online)- a good model of how to do business into Canada from the US.
I've also bought audio stuff from a place in the US that had very reasonable prices on DHL 2-day service. ($27 for a rack-mount equalizer, plus HST).

If you don't want to pay any taxes (HST/PST/GST), duties, or brokerage charges, drive down to the US for a couple of days and bring in your purchases under your 48 hr exemption.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back