I've never seen Star Wars...and I never want to either
Jan 11, 2005 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

averydonovan

Headphoneus Supremus
Kind of a random, spur-of-the-moment thread idea...

I've made a minor point of rebelling against certain movie franchises and I refuse to see them just because they are so popular. The Star Wars franchise is definately the one that sticks out the most since so many people are surprised and don't believe me when I say that I've never seen any Star Wars movie and that I don't want to, either. So far I am the only person I know of that has never seen a single Star Wars movie, but I have to ask if I'm not the only one. And no, I also have not seen (or read) the Lord of the Rings and don't plan to either. Am I really alone in this?

Jan 11, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 87
You're kind of nuts. Episodes 4-6 were ingenious, brilliant peices of art. The other two though...
rolleyes.gif

Jan 11, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #3 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
...I refuse to see them just because they are so popular...

Just because they are popular does not mean that they are bad. While I and II were just pretty good action movies, 4, 5 and 6 were very good movies on their own. I'd would say don't bother with Lord of the Rings, but at least give A New Hope a chance.

Jan 11, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 87
Quote:

And no, I also have not seen (or read) the Lord of the Rings and don't plan to either. Am I really alone in this?

You're kidding right? You have no clue what you are missing out on. I'd strongly advise you to read the Hobbit at least. See, movies i can understand, but not books, i love to read.

Jan 11, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 87
Quote:

And no, I also have not seen (or read) the Lord of the Rings and don't plan to either. Am I really alone in this?

Hehe same here. I kinda share that rebelling attitude with you. I have, though, seen Star Wars and it's a...masterpiece. I ought to see Lord of Rings some day just really haven't thought about it...

Jan 11, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 87
I'm the only one to vote for the "Haven't seen it and feel kind of left out" category. But that was only since seeing "The Phantom Menace" after it ended up in my shopping cart when I was in Best Buy one day with a former girlfriend. Guess I'll have to go back to the beginning. I wasn't a big fan of Jaws or E.T. when they came out and everyone else went crazy over them, so my Star Wars expectations are not very high either. And, yes, I am old enough (just barely) to remember when Jaws came out.

Jan 11, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
You're kidding right? You have no clue what you are missing out on. I'd strongly advise you to read the Hobbit at least. See, movies i can understand, but not books, i love to read.

Word.

Jan 11, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 87
Quote:

So far I am the only person I know of that has never seen a single Star Wars movie, but I have to ask if I'm not the only one. And no, I also have not seen (or read) the Lord of the Rings and don't plan to either. Am I really alone in this?

This mean that you dont know who is the Hobbit?

http://www.cswu.cz/characters/img/ch...der/tesb_2.jpg

Amicalement

Jan 11, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 87
You've really got to read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy, man. Those are fantastic books, real classics! Unless you don't like to read, that is; me, I'm an insatiable bookworm. I gobble up books like crazy (and, of course, the monthly Stereophile; gotta satisfy my audiophile cravings
tongue.gif
).

But seriously, those books are beautifully written and really draw you in. Tolkien creates an entire world. The scope of his vision is unbelievable. I mean, he invented a language for crying out loud! Man, I love those books (in case you couldn't already tell
evil_smiley.gif
).

Jan 11, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #12 of 87
Quote:

Kind of a random, spur-of-the-moment thread idea...

I've made a minor point of rebelling against certain movie franchises and I refuse to see them just because they are so popular. The Star Wars franchise is definately the one that sticks out the most since so many people are surprised and don't believe me when I say that I've never seen any Star Wars movie and that I don't want to, either. So far I am the only person I know of that has never seen a single Star Wars movie, but I have to ask if I'm not the only one. And no, I also have not seen (or read) the Lord of the Rings and don't plan to either. Am I really alone in this?

I've always laughed at people who rebel against something pointlessly.

Jan 11, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #13 of 87
Donovan,

You're not so strange. I've met people who have never seen "Gone With the Wind" (GWTW), "Casa Blanca", "The Treasure of Sierra Madre", "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "2001" or "The Wizard of Oz".

Jan 11, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #14 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
I've met people who have never seen "Gone With the Wind" (GWTW), "Casa Blanca", "The Treasure of Sierra Madre", "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "2001" or "The Wizard of Oz".

I've only seen the lattermost of all those films, though I have seen all the Star Wars films. Everyone has their own opinion of which movies you "have to see," especially in LA, however of course you can't diss any particular film untill you see it for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back