I've narrowed down a list of monitors. Can anybody give me some input?
Jan 21, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #32 of 45
each speaker has 1 1/4" plug so by getting the HOSA CMP159 cable which has 2 1/4" plugs you connect 1 1/4" to each speaker, then the other end of the cable which has 1 3.5mm connection would plug into 1 connection on your computer or a DAC. The way the cable is designed it will take a single signal from your computer and split into left and right signals for each 1/4" cable end.

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #33 of 45
but will the hosa cable have a split (at the 1/4 plug side) long enough to reach the 2 speakers?
(eg. if it splits 1 feet from end, speakers can only be 2 feet apart)

another way:
if we use a 3.5mm te dual female rca
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5611&seq=1&format=2

then a rca to xlr cable to each monitor
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150902&p_id=4777&seq=1&format=2

will this work or it wont work (introduce more noise?)

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #37 of 45
Alright! So I got the JBL LSR305s. I love them to death already.  I am using an XLR to 3.5mm cable to connect the speaker to my computer. It was 300 for the pair, and 16 bucks for the cable. After tax about 345-350 bucks. These monitors are fantastic, and they took up less room than I though. Plus, they have a rather good sound no matter where I stand/sit. Of course the sound the best when I am a couple feet from them (triangle), but I can walk around my room and stand up, or lay down. and they really sound good all around. The bass on them is surprisingly good for a 5 inch, and the highs are just beautiful. I can now hear that little cymbal "ting" at 2 minutes into the song, or the slightest pitch difference between the first and last crash. Also, the lows/mids sound so good. I listen to mostly rock and it captures electric guitars so perfectly. The lows don't bleed into the mids, so the vocals are still crisp, and the guitar still has a lot of power. I really enjoy them

One issue though. My graphics card hates them. Every time My graphics card ramps up my speakers start buzzing louder. Thy always have a very very small buzz (because they are powered), but when I play a game, they buzz louder, and depending on how intense the game is graphically, they buzz more or less. I did an EVGA O.C. scanner and ramped my card up by displaying a heavily detailed image with a really high density of particles, and depending on where the image moved, and how intricate I made the setting for it, my speakers output a different noise. The noise got louder the more I made the image hard for my graphics card to deal with. I put it on 720p, my monitors hiss a bit. I put it on 1080, they hiss more. I put it on 1080p with anti aliasing and make the image move a bit, they make a lot of racket.

It seems this is a common frequency issue with amplified monitor speakers/powerful graphics cards. Haven't been able to find a fix. Any ideas?

Jan 24, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #38 of 45
glad you're liking them! I actually pulled the trigger a few days ago on a set and am waiting for them to be delivered. 
The Buzzing sound you're hearing is most likely because the speakers are directly connected to your computer via the motherboard sound card which is prone to computer interference noises. 
So, if it's super bad eventually get a DAC  (like the fiio) or other external sound card. 

If you don't want to fork out the money for the FIIO but want to try an external sound card take a trip to best buy or something and find an external sound card, creative brand will probably do. assuming you can return open items in the U.S like you can in Canada Best Buy, try it at home, if it removes the extra noises either keep the external sound card or return it and invest in a FIIO. 

Can you measure the 305 from the base to the bottom of the tweeter? going to build myself some speaker stands and need the right heigh! 

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #39 of 45
11.85 inches tall for the entire speaker.
8.75 inches from base to bottom of tweeter.

Also - Yeah, guitar center said noise would be my only issue with my connection type seeing as My speakers should be connected to a balanced connection. Maybe I will get a DAC or something one day. Thanks again for all the help everyone.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #40 of 45
  Alright! So I got the JBL LSR305s. I love them to death already.  I am using an XLR to 3.5mm cable to connect the speaker to my computer. It was 300 for the pair, and 16 bucks for the cable. After tax about 345-350 bucks. These monitors are fantastic, and they took up less room than I though. Plus, they have a rather good sound no matter where I stand/sit. Of course the sound the best when I am a couple feet from them (triangle), but I can walk around my room and stand up, or lay down. and they really sound good all around. The bass on them is surprisingly good for a 5 inch, and the highs are just beautiful. I can now hear that little cymbal "ting" at 2 minutes into the song, or the slightest pitch difference between the first and last crash. Also, the lows/mids sound so good. I listen to mostly rock and it captures electric guitars so perfectly. The lows don't bleed into the mids, so the vocals are still crisp, and the guitar still has a lot of power. I really enjoy them

One issue though. My graphics card hates them. Every time My graphics card ramps up my speakers start buzzing louder. Thy always have a very very small buzz (because they are powered), but when I play a game, they buzz louder, and depending on how intense the game is graphically, they buzz more or less. I did an EVGA O.C. scanner and ramped my card up by displaying a heavily detailed image with a really high density of particles, and depending on where the image moved, and how intricate I made the setting for it, my speakers output a different noise. The noise got louder the more I made the image hard for my graphics card to deal with. I put it on 720p, my monitors hiss a bit. I put it on 1080, they hiss more. I put it on 1080p with anti aliasing and make the image move a bit, they make a lot of racket.

It seems this is a common frequency issue with amplified monitor speakers/powerful graphics cards. Haven't been able to find a fix. Any ideas?

This "may" help your buzzing situation, it certainly cured my ground loop issue on a laptop:- http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/HD400.aspx

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #42 of 45
Yeah I figured it was the ground. A lot of people said cutting the ground loop would fix it. I've been reading up on it.

About two inches (I know ideally it should be 6 inches, but I cannot afford that space. Also, I tried it briefly 6 inches fro mthe wall, and the buzzing persisted. Its either a ground issue or graphics card interference.

May 28, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #44 of 45
With the JBL's you can plug them directly into your computers sound card using the HOSA CMP159 cable (or the shorter CMP153 version) and you'll get sound.
that cable will get you the 2 1/4" ends (TRS) and the 1 3.5mm end which is what would connect to your computer.

If you decide to get a DAC, assuming you're looking at the E17 which I recommend as a start given that you can also take it with on the go with your head phones and IPOD + better sound at home, then the above mentioned cable will also work if you get the FIIO L7 adapter as that will then allow you connect to your computer using a USB cable to the E17 (via the L7) and then the line out (using the CMP159/153) to your speakers.
p.s pretty sure usb cable comes with E17 so no need to buy one.

so!

suggested option 1.
Hosa CMP159 or CMP 153 cable.

Suggestied option 2. (cause it will sound better + drive your headphones better at home/on the go)
Hosa CMP159 or CMP 153 cable depending on length you want.
FIIO E17
FIIO L7
+ FIIO L9 (to connect the E17 to your ipod))

As i've mentioned before, you can always go with option 1 and you WILL get sound to your speakers and then later add on the FIIO E17 and L7 to get better sound + a portable AMP for your headphones/IPOD

As for distance 3 feet(CMP 153) or 10 feet(CMP159 ) you shouldn't get a noticible difference in sound quality so might as well go with the CMP159 to make sure the cable can make it to your computer/DAC + reach your speakers.

sorry i'm bit confused, what is the Fiio L7 for? can you not connect your computer to the E17 via a USB cable, then the 3.5mm to the JBLs via the cmp159?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back