I've narowed it down but I still need help
Sep 26, 2010 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Hadoe

Head-Fier
So I recently posted a thread asking for help finding a new pair of headphones (link: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/514332/i-need-a-new-pair-of-headphones-and-am-completely-lost-in-the-limitless-choices#post_6951605) and now I've narrowed it down but still don't know which to choose.

Here's my list:

Audio-Technica ATH-M30
Denon AH-P372
JVC HA-S700
JVC HA-RX700
JVC HA-M750
Maxell DHP-II
Panasonic RP-HTX7
Sennheiser HD 202
Sennheiser HD 203
Sennheiser HD 205-II
Sony MDR-XD100
Sony MDR-XD200
Sony MDR-XB300
Sony MDR-XB500

The one's I'm most interested in right now are the Panasonic's but seeing as how I'm pretty new to buying headphones I want to make sure I'm making a wise decision. All the information on what I'll be using them for and my system and so on are in the linked original post. Please help if you can.

Thanks in advance -- Hadoe

Sep 26, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 4
The sennheiser hd555's on sale right now for about 80$ shipped are a pretty good deal, and only a bit above your budget.  They're easily better than any of the headphones above.  I haven't listened to many of these budget phones.  But I do happen to have the Sony mdr-xd200's and they sound pretty bad imo.
But really, don't buy coffee for a week, pack your own lunch if you're in school, etc, and get the hd555's.  You can look around ebay too.  From your description of what you want in your other thread, you might like the audio technica m50s, they have some very nice bass.  You can get a very lightly used pair or a new manufacturer refurbished set for about 75$ shipped on ebay.  The next step up from the headphones you have listed is going to make a huge difference in my opinion.  Many of these phones that you can now get for ~80 were close to or over $200 when they first came out.  The difference in sound is going to be pretty significant.

Btw, I noticed that you said you were coming from skullcandies.  You might have to watch the cord on some of these headphones, some have very very long cords and may not be very suitable for portable use.  You're probably going to have to zip tie some of the cords up into a bundle.

Sep 26, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
The sennheiser hd555's on sale right now for about 80$ shipped are a pretty good deal, and only a bit above your budget.  They're easily better than any of the headphones above.  I haven't listened to many of these budget phones.  But I do happen to have the Sony mdr-xd200's and they sound pretty bad imo.
But really, don't buy coffee for a week, pack your own lunch if you're in school, etc, and get the hd555's.  You can look around ebay too.  From your description of what you want in your other thread, you might like the audio technica m50s, they have some very nice bass.  You can get a very lightly used pair or a new manufacturer refurbished set for about 75$ shipped on ebay.  The next step up from the headphones you have listed is going to make a huge difference in my opinion.  Many of these phones that you can now get for ~80 were close to or over $200 when they first came out.  The difference in sound is going to be pretty significant.

Btw, I noticed that you said you were coming from skullcandies.  You might have to watch the cord on some of these headphones, some have very very long cords and may not be very suitable for portable use.  You're probably going to have to zip tie some of the cords up into a bundle.

Thank you so much, I actually have a friend who has the hd555's and he let me listen to them. They were definitely amazing but I kind of want a pair that I can wear around anywhere and with the open style I'm to afraid they would get damaged from any weather other than sunny. Also thanks for the advice against the Sony's I wasn't really sure about those ones.

Sep 26, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 4
If you can stand okay SQ, the S700 is one of the best portable headphones you can get on the go. By okay, I mean better than skullcandy.

I think the protapro would actually be a better choice for you, or like stated above, get the hd555 for $75.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back