I've heard "source first" but...is it worth sacrifice?
Aug 19, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #16 of 27
A good source can definitely make a big difference. that said, if you really like your HP-2s, then you should save up and put the source as your next major audio purchase.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I appreciate all of your responses. However, I don't want to be a Collector of headphones. My feeling is if they are not being used they should move on. Which is a big part of my asking this question here. Lately, my HP-2s have not been used that much.

I would let them go in a minute but want some reassurance that I won't miss them. So far, all I've heard is "keep them" so I guess I shouldn't sell.

I would still like to hear if a source would make a big difference or not.

Thanks,

Ken

If they're not your thing, they're not your thing! When my DT880's started collecting dust, I knew the small percentage of times I reached for them wasn't worth the value of the headphones.

I ended up selling them and grabbing a nice headphone amp with the money received. It was a very worthy upgrade for me. Now I'm saving up for a DAC, as I want something a step up or two from my old MicroDAC. I sacrificed my source for a few months in order to get a nicer amp.

If your focus is the 9's and you're happy with them, let the HP2's go. But if you really enjoy the HP2's and constantly reach for them, keep them.

The Rega Saturn will bring sound to a whole nother level. If it was me and the HP2's were sitting, I'd probably sell the Planet 2000, Melos, HP2's, and SwitchBox and go for the Saturn. That is a big upgrade from the 2000. Plus I'm a one headphone kind of guy.

Aug 19, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #20 of 27
my advice is to make sure you really enjoy the Ed 9 before you sell the HP-2. I had the Planet 2000 with an HP-2 and a Gillmore V2 headamp about four years ago. The planet held everything back. When I upgraded to an Arcam CD23 it was apparent how wooly the bass was on the rega. It's a pleasant sounding CDP but it IMO it sacrifices too much to achieve its pleasant sound. You don't have to spend big dollars on a source, but its certainly worth trying a few things out to learn how the source can affect your system. Don't sell your HP-2 to do this (at least yet), maybe other items such as the Melos SHA-1 or other headphones.

Aug 19, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #21 of 27
Speakers and headphones make the biggest difference in sound quality. Before you upgrade, you should determine exactly what it is that is wrong with your system that you are trying to correct. Upgrading just for a theoretical improvement often results in a complete waste of money.

See ya
Steve

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

I currently have Rega Planet 2000 to Mapletree switchbox to SP Extreme and Melos Sha-1. My system is unfortunately in my living room due to space constraints. As a result I have to deal with a lot of out side noise. Obviously a closed phone would be the clear choice.

I currently have HP-2s and recently acquired Ed. 9s. I have an RPX-33 on order (just to see). Having a dedicated closed can would really be ideal and I want to do the most I can to make that happen given my listening area. Problem is I love the HP-2s and am not sure I'm ready to get rid of them. My question is, is source a good enough reason to let go of a pair of hard to come by discontinued phones that I've invested inordinate amounts of money into? I've been considering a source upgrade to Rega Saturn.

Exactly how much difference does source make?

Worth sacrificing a pair of rare headphones that you personally put a lot of extra time effort and money into or over rated if you have the hearing of a mere mortal? I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Ken

What the...I know there's a point in there somewhere...

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #24 of 27
Yeah I feel headphones are the most difference too, but source is definitely second then amp. All three are veryyy important and multiple times more important than cables and power cord....

Also who knows right? Maybe whatever source you sell the HP-2 will transform them so much that it will completely revitalize your enjoyment of them.... but by then its too late because they will have been sold.

It's like that story where dude sells his watch to buy his girlfriend/wife an expensive comb and she sold her hair to buy him a platinum watch chain.

Aug 19, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My take: source is extremely important. But, in this particular case, I wouldn't sell a pair of collector item headphones, that you apparently really like, to upgrade the source. The Planet is no slouch, though you can certainly do better. BTW, I don't think a $4-500 dac will be that much better, but that's another thread topic.

If it were a more generic set of phones, I'd say sell, for sure. Especially since your other phones are of such good quality. As I've upgraded various components, I've come to realize just how important a good source is, and just how limiting a poor source can be.

Bottom line, upgrade your source, but not at the expense of your collector phones.

I'd have to agree with most of what's been said here already. Upgrade your source and then see what headphones you reach for. On the other hand you could sell your HP-2 and put it toward a SR-4070, L3000, R10, etc.

I had an Apollo for about a month and to my ears it sounded better than the Lavry DA-10 with my Lambda Pro/KGSS.

If you're not afraid to get mods done on a source I have a stock Sony SACD player that I'm selling off. I bet at least two people that posted here could tell you about SACDmods.com players.

Aug 19, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's like that story where dude sells his watch to buy his girlfriend/wife an expensive comb and she sold her hair to buy him a platinum watch chain.

the gift of the magi by O. Henry.

Aug 19, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

My question is whether a source upgrade is worth giving up/selling a pair of headphones and amp that I have invested a fair amount of time and money acquiring.

I'm not quite sure how else to ask my question and realize it's very subjective...but I guess I want to know exactly how much Head-Fiers value source.

If it's a significant amount I might reconsider/consider my current Head Phones.

Many can pitch-in their opinions, but I think you're the best to answer your own questions. If you think systems then source and phones or other components have equal significance to the end results.

I don't suggest to sell anything until you can confirm that a particular component does not add value to your system, or has no significance to the end results.

Sorry about your wallet...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back