I've heard "source first" but...is it worth sacrifice?
Aug 19, 2007 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Toonie

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have Rega Planet 2000 to Mapletree switchbox to SP Extreme and Melos Sha-1. My system is unfortunately in my living room due to space constraints. As a result I have to deal with a lot of out side noise. Obviously a closed phone would be the clear choice.

I currently have HP-2s and recently acquired Ed. 9s. I have an RPX-33 on order (just to see). Having a dedicated closed can would really be ideal and I want to do the most I can to make that happen given my listening area. Problem is I love the HP-2s and am not sure I'm ready to get rid of them. My question is, is source a good enough reason to let go of a pair of hard to come by discontinued phones that I've invested inordinate amounts of money into? I've been considering a source upgrade to Rega Saturn.

Exactly how much difference does source make?

Worth sacrificing a pair of rare headphones that you personally put a lot of extra time effort and money into or over rated if you have the hearing of a mere mortal? I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Ken

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 27
?? what are you asking again?

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 27
I think he's asking if its worth selling some of his more expensive headphones (Or not buying rare expensive headphones in the future) to fund a better source.

But I could be wrong.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Problem is I love the HP-2s and am not sure I'm ready to get rid of them. My question is, is source a good enough reason to let go of a pair of hard to come by discontinued phones that I've invested inordinate amounts of money into?

Are you OUT of your mind?? That's the Devil whispering from your shoulder to sell the HP-2, the same Devil who made me sell my HP-2!

I would say use your Rega 2000 as transport and just pick up a good modded Chi-Fi DAC for <$4-500...

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
?? what are you asking again?

My question is whether a source upgrade is worth giving up/selling a pair of headphones and amp that I have invested a fair amount of time and money acquiring.

I'm not quite sure how else to ask my question and realize it's very subjective...but I guess I want to know exactly how much Head-Fiers value source.

If it's a significant amount I might reconsider/consider my current Head Phones.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 27
I don't think its worth it. Good sources will always be available when you have the cash. Rare headphones.... might not be.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #7 of 27
I'd keep the HPs especially if you love them. Sources come and go and the Saturn will be around for a while. If you get rid of the HPs you may regret the decision and have a hard time obtaining another pair.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you OUT of your mind?? That's the Devil whispering from your shoulder to sell the HP-2, the same Devil who made me sell my HP-2!

I would say use your Rega 2000 as transport and just pick up a good modded Chi-Fi DAC for <$4-500...

As pathetic as it is, that's an option I wasn't even aware of. Thanks! I am still interested in hearing other opinions and options though.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #9 of 27
I like the way you guys think and definitely agree. I just figured that there would be more persuasive arguments in favor of source?? Although I guess it is a Headphone Forum after all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #10 of 27
My take: source is extremely important. But, in this particular case, I wouldn't sell a pair of collector item headphones, that you apparently really like, to upgrade the source. The Planet is no slouch, though you can certainly do better. BTW, I don't think a $4-500 dac will be that much better, but that's another thread topic.

If it were a more generic set of phones, I'd say sell, for sure. Especially since your other phones are of such good quality. As I've upgraded various components, I've come to realize just how important a good source is, and just how limiting a poor source can be.

Bottom line, upgrade your source, but not at the expense of your collector phones.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #11 of 27
agree with all the above. good source is of ultra importance. but you can always save for one. and great sources can be found used for very good prices. a collectible headphone, once sold, may be hard to come by again.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #12 of 27
I thought this was going to be about amp's vs sources. Once you find your holy grail headphones, you never let them go! Headphone signatures are so insanely different than source upgrades.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #13 of 27
the other side of the coin.

sell the hp2. you said you prefer a closed phone. a more than usual number of hp1000s have been on the market as of late. the reason it could be argued is that the selling price has never been so high. so take advantage. sell at the high price, esp. since you want to go closed and invest the funds to make your headphone experience as good as possible.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #14 of 27
I appreciate all of your responses. However, I don't want to be a Collector of headphones. My feeling is if they are not being used they should move on. Which is a big part of my asking this question here. Lately, my HP-2s have not been used that much.

I would let them go in a minute but want some reassurance that I won't miss them. So far, all I've heard is "keep them" so I guess I shouldn't sell.

I would still like to hear if a source would make a big difference or not.

Thanks,

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back