I've had this Ipod Classic for less than 24 hours, looking for replacement
Feb 11, 2010 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Bovice

Head-Fier
I'm highly highly highly disappointed w/ my Ipod classic. While the 80gb of space is nice and the sound is great, that's the only thing it has going for it. I'm thinking of reselling it already.

Itunes/alternatives is a pain to deal with, seems unnecessary to me. I got this over the Itouch because I needed something I could manage in my pocket w/o taking it out, as I ride a bicycle. This thing is funky at best, I've had to pull it out of my pocket every time I've wanted to change the song.

It was pretty cold out this morning, I put on my gloves and get ready to go, guess what, the wheel doesn't respond to the glove, only my naked hand, so now I'm freezing.

Very very very user unfriendly and the 80gb HD and nice sound isn't enough to sell me over on it. I had a $40 dollar sony mp3 walkman before this, which sounds terrible in comparison in sound quality, but was very manageable and user friendly and I'm ready to go back to it until I get get something better.

The major deal breaker for me is that with an 80 GB HDD, why the hell would there not be an option for sub folders? In my walkman I had
Rap - Tupac - Ressurection
- All Eyes on me
- Loyal to the game

Games - FF - FF7
- FF8
- Xenogears

Pop - Miley
- Mariah

ect ect, but with iPod, I have to have a giant cluster fk of playlists and I've tried googling and haven't been able to find a way to create subfolders to further organize my playlists.

And with that, I'm ready to get rid of this piece of garbitch.

What are some more user friendly brands of mp3 player that would have similar sound? I heard the sony x series was good? (Only beef w/ sony is that I have their walkman the $40 one and it sounds like trash). Which brands are good w/ user interface and quality of sound?

Edit: bleh forum is messing w/ my formatting for the subfolder part, but i'm sure you all get the idea.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 24
Agreed. Tag management based organization doesn't seem to be for you. Might as well get a player that supports folder based management, something like a Cowon or Sansa.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 24
Not really just exercise in general, but evne walking around I like to keep it in my pocket. How is the sound quality of sansa clip? Screw tags and such, I just prefer the organization of folder/subfolder and I also prefer to be able to wear gloves when it's cold out >.>

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 24
SQ is highly rated on this forum I've not heard one myself.

Have to agree with you. I (and I suspect most people) don't need any more than filetree/folder based navigation. Most would probably prefer the simplicity of it.

Also agree re buttons over fancy touch interfaces. For music playback. Better when you have gloves, players in your pocket, or you have sweaty or dry skin. Also unlike touch screens you can navigate by feel and without looking at it.

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 24
I had the first gen. of the iPod Classic, and later on a Sansa Clip. The Clip beat the Classic by leaps and bounds IMO. The iPod's sound was pretty thin overall.

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 24
Which series walkman do you currently have? The newer E series Walkman is FAR superior sounding to the previous E series. I think you can get a low capacity one for 40 to 60 USD.

Also someone mentioned the Sansa Clip +. That's a great little alternative. You can even purchase storage cards with genre sensitive songs.

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which series walkman do you currently have? The newer E series Walkman is FAR superior sounding to the previous E series. I think you can get a low capacity one for 40 to 60 USD.

Also someone mentioned the Sansa Clip +. That's a great little alternative. You can even purchase storage cards with genre sensitive songs.

Do you have links to people reviewing the new E series to other recent sonys?

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 24
I have a Sansa fuze and my daughter has a Sansa clip, completely blows away the Ipod nano in SQ that my daughter has , she now uses the clip instead of the nano. now the nano just sits in the drawer. Get a Fuze or Clip/Clip +.

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 24
Can you rockbox the ipod you have? If yes then you can have that folder management that you want.

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #14 of 24
Proper tagged files, then browse by artist, album title, genre, ...
No need for subfolders.
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guidostrunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Sansa fuze and my daughter has a Sansa clip, completely blows away the Ipod nano in SQ that my daughter has , she now uses the clip instead of the nano. now the nano just sits in the drawer. Get a Fuze or Clip/Clip +.

All the comparisons I've seen have been vs the nano. It'd be safe to assume that would be the same as the classic?

How is the file organization? Folder/subfolder/subfolder/songs/ect?

I would also like a little more detail on the rockbox or w/e it's called.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back