i've got dt770-80s, any upgrade for trance music
May 23, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by astranovus
ordos,

my dt770-80 was only 90 pounds , which i think is less than $140 new!!!

Well like i said the DT770-32 (personalised with the name of my newborn son engraved on it..... If i get one done new i better get it done right
biggrin.gif
) via Manufactur

-Ordos-

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by arto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think there is an upgrade from the DT770s for trance music.
biggrin.gif

I love my DT770s, but I kept thinking that there must be something better out there simply because they were extremely inexpensive. After doing a lot of research into possible upgrades, however, I can't find anything that really seems like it might be better (part of this is that I will not consider anything open.) I am beginning to suspect that there really is no upgrade!

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my DT770s, but I kept thinking that there must be something better out there simply because they were extremely inexpensive. After doing a lot of research into possible upgrades, however, I can't find anything that really seems like it might be better (part of this is that I will not consider anything open.) I am beginning to suspect that there really is no upgrade!

did you try any other headphones?

Jan 15, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by astranovus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've got some dt770-80s and i listen to mainly trance music (95%)

i love the bass on these headphones, but is there anything out there that it is even better for trance music???

I believe you are a basshead and that's cool. When I got my HD650s I thought I were a basshead as well but the reality was different. When I heard the Stax SR202 I found them very good and definitely better than Senns at trance music. It's not naturally the bass but the nicely done mids and highs -- you can follow things easily as they progress in the tracks. Basing my information on these facts and my personal opinion, any can with fine treble beats the DT770. If you definitely feel being a basshead, then don't bother. But for trance, I take Stax any day.

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00264167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you try any other headphones?

There is absolutely noplace at all to try good headphones locally. I have to rely on reviews. The buy it/try it approach is my only option.

Besides the 770s, I have tried the K701s. The sound was good overall, with an excellent soundstage. They were extremely uncomfortable, however, outside sounds bothered me because of the open design, and they had no bass.

The only affordable closed cans I am considering at this point are the DT150s, because they have gotten some really intriguing reviews.

If I can manage to save for several months (extremely hard for me!), I could try some highly non-affordable 'phones such as the DX-1000s, but it is awfully difficult for me to justify that kind of money.

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is absolutely noplace at all to try good headphones locally. I have to rely on reviews. The buy it/try it approach is my only option.

Besides the 770s, I have tried the K701s. The sound was good overall, with an excellent soundstage. They were extremely uncomfortable, however, outside sounds bothered me because of the open design, and they had no bass.

The only affordable closed cans I am considering at this point are the DT150s, because they have gotten some really intriguing reviews.

If I can manage to save for several months (extremely hard for me!), I could try some highly non-affordable 'phones such as the DX-1000s, but it is awfully difficult for me to justify that kind of money.

i listen to trance 90% of the time and recently had the dt-150's but got rid of them (i wrote a comparison review http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...review-397729/ ).
the sound of the dt-150 is bassey and warm, unless you like that kind of colouration to everything id say look for something more balanced.

i was tempted by the 701 myself before i got the sa5000 but the lack of bass in the 701 so many mentioned put me off. i went on reviews before i got the sa5000 as everyone said it was really good for electronic and trance, they were a little pricey but i couldnt justify spending $1000 either.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00264167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i listen to trance 90% of the time and recently had the dt-150's but got rid of them (i wrote a comparison review http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...review-397729/ ).
the sound of the dt-150 is bassey and warm, unless you like that kind of colouration to everything id say look for something more balanced.

i was tempted by the 701 myself before i got the sa5000 but the lack of bass in the 701 so many mentioned put me off. i went on reviews before i got the sa5000 as everyone said it was really good for electronic and trance, they were a little pricey but i couldnt justify spending $1000 either.

I keep going back and forth on the AH-D5000s. I might end up wishing I had gone for the D7000s instead, but I would much rather spend $400 than $1000!
I have read conflicting reviews about the soundstage, and a huge soundstage is one of the main things I want from an upgrade.
By all accounts, they are great 'phones and do bass very well (some say too much.)
Something tells me I am likely to end up pulling the trigger on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back