I've got $100.
Jul 20, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #16 of 38
Another vote for Koss KSC75. This is a set of headphones that every beginner should have.

If you buy those sub $100 headphones make sure you don't itch for upgrade! or else you end up spending more!

Jul 20, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #17 of 38
Well, if you don't mind used you could look in the buy and sell forums here and get the SR60's for much less than $100. I am waiting arrival of mine from FedEx this afternoon. The last set of SR60's that I bought were sold to a co-worker before I could get them out of the office.
etysmile.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #18 of 38
From what I've heard, the grados are alot tinnier, and my ears tend to hurt after a while with too much treble, so I think i'll stay away from grados and go for Koss or Sennheiser. Or I could just build a tilt control on my cmoy...

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyjjy777
KSC75s were my first headphone, then I got the SR60s. The SR60s did have a bit more detail but I like the KSC75s better in almost every other way. The 60's lacked bass, had no soundstage, rediculously open and leaky, not portable, and, this could just be me, were so bright they gave me a headache after about half an hour.
So I've just traded them for an amp to go with my KSCs.

I find my expierience with the SR60's a bit different. I find the bass there and full, while missing the upper range.
Then again, I haven't used them unamped yet.

Jul 20, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by w1ned
I find my expierience with the SR60's a bit different. I find the bass there and full, while missing the upper range.
Then again, I haven't used them unamped yet.

Yeah, would've been nice to try them amped, but considering that's what I'm trading them for, it wasn't possible.
The sound signature just didn't seem right for me anyway tho.

Jul 21, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellowjacket
Quoted for truth.

I would have formerly recommended HD497s but nowadays it's the HD485s.

If you want open air though, obviously the SR60 are the way to go. Otherwise, HD485++

Sennheiser's website says 485's are open, and I'd agree judging by the picture:
HD485_view.jpg

EDIT: On the same page are the HD465, HD500, and HD570 .. did they just come out with all those? I'd never heard of any of them. They're all pretty sweet-lookin'.

Jul 21, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesocks
EDIT: On the same page are the HD465, HD500, and HD570 .. did they just come out with all those? I'd never heard of any of them. They're all pretty sweet-lookin'.

The 465 is new (a case of number recycling, actually), the 500 and 570 are last-gen cans, both with a pretty bad reputation as they used to be totally overpriced. 570s go for a bit less than 515s right now here and are quite OK for this price, or at least were before 485s came out. (They do, however, suffer from "sucked-out" mids more so than the 590, and in spite of being quite bassy they tend to run out of steam in the bass, along with being quite inefficient in spite of their relatively low impedance.) The HD500 is supposed to be quite muffled and not even all that comfy, far from $100 cans (which is what it used to cost) - stay away from that turkey.

Jul 22, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #23 of 38
A little something to keep in mind: make sure you're not overly sensitive to prominent highs before springing for a pair of Grados or something similar.

For some reason or another, some emphasized highs just irritate me, and Grados give me headaches. Just a heads-up, make sure you don't want to splurge on something that would irritate you.

As a Senn man myself, if it wasn't clear from above, I'd suggest PX100s. Even when stacked against higher-end phones, they're always a fun listen.

Although, be advised that I haven't head KSC 75s, and they may very well whip the PX100s.

Jul 22, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazper
in short: it is the general consensus that the KSC75s are the best budget headphone out there, and that they would be an upgrade to what you have.

I have listened to the KSC55s, apparently they're pretty close in sound - they sounded pretty awesome, but a tiny bit dark for me, then again I am a grado/alessandro fan. (note that I heard them out of the M3, so your experience may vary)

Agreed. I want a pair for myself, as well as gifts for others to make them 'see the light' so-to-speak.
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
I'd take a look at the MS1, the MS1 or maybe the MS1...
...unless you need closed phones.

Hahahaha, yes! (you should list that in your sig, it's great
biggrin.gif
)
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 23, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #25 of 38
i am happy with the $50 open senn px100 & personally prefer them over the sr60. i could not listen to the $50 koss porta pro. everthing was wrong about them & the bass was loose & boomy. the px100 is a perfectly good pair of cans. there is a new pair of inexpensive closed senns i recently heard that were surprisingly good. the grado sr80 is much better than the sr60, imo, & worth the price differential. in fact, i think the sr80 is a low as you want to go in the grado line. each grado step up is a noticeable improvement. i just think the sr60 is too low on the grado totem pole & fatiguing compared to the $50 px100 or more expensive sr80.

Jul 23, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #26 of 38
If you decide on the KSC75's, I got mine from Provantage for $9.53 USD plus shipping (total UNDER $15 USD)
biggrin.gif

I bought them for bicycle riding, but found they sound great (especially when they have been 'Kramer'ed"
cool.gif
) and thus have used them at other times as well.
I still prefer my PX100 slightly, but the headband does not fit under a bicycle helmet.

Jul 24, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
If you decide on the KSC75's, I got mine from Provantage for $9.53 USD plus shipping (total UNDER $15 USD)
biggrin.gif

Kramer's link eh? That's where I plan on getting mine. And that is easily the best price I've ever seen on those.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 24, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Kramer's link eh? That's where I plan on getting mine. And that is easily the best price I've ever seen on those.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Nope, not his link, Froogle's . . . . when I said "Kramer'ed" I was speaking of His MODS to the KSC75's

Jul 25, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
Nope, not his link, Froogle's . . . . when I said "Kramer'ed" I was speaking of His MODS to the KSC75's

Well yeah, but I first saw the Provantage link when Kramer posted it about a week ago or so. But of course, I'll get my KSC75's "Kramer'ed" too.
biggrin.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back