I've concidered getting a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD but...
Jul 16, 2011 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 265

RPGWiZaRD

Headphoneus Supremus
This card seems to only process stereo signals and have no discrete 5.1 channel support it seems simply looking at the outputs. I use a custom Dolby headphone config on foobar2000 that I love so much but I wonder if I need a soundcard with discrete 5.1 support to get the maximum out of the Dolby Headphone config as it upmixes stereo to -> 5 channels with the Channel Mixer plugin and it seems on both my Audigy 2 ZS and Realtek onboard sound it sounds the best when the speaker config is set to 5.1 mode. Would it be enough if the card has 5.1 speaker config selectable in the drivers somewhere (you'd have to connect the speakers digitally) What do you guys think?

I need a card that's great with positional cues in games why I held this card on top of my list. Maybe the Titanium Fatal1ty Champion series card would be a safer bet?

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #3 of 265
Yea I think I'd be safe and pick that. There seems to be both a Fatal1ty Pro and Fatal1ty Champion card, what I read it's mostly the I/O panel and a remote control that is the difference and like $50 in the price, otherwise I hope it's the same hardware on it right?

Is the I/O panel actually usable, like won't add any extra static noise or such which I've read about in the products in the past. If the volume knob is of very poor quality I'd rather be without it.

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 265
yes Fatal1ty Pro and Fatal1ty Champion are the same
only I/O panel is defference

also there is x-fi titanium
http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Titanium-PCI/M/B001E25KDK.htm

its the same as Fatal1ty Pro i think but doesnt have sheild

might be emi sheild

and have 16 mb ram

Fatal1ty Pro has 64 mb

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 265
Yea well the cheapest Fatal1ty Pro card here goes for 116.50 EUR vs the Champion 155.50 EUR so I think I'll go for the Pro in that case. Wonder if there's a huge difference in sound quality between this card and the Titanium HD. The Titanium HD costs 159 EUR here.

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 265

Quote:

Man, first of all be very wary of any advice coming from tom2011, as that person doesn't have any experience with any of the products he's talking about.

You will get an inferior product if you go with a previous generation X-Fi card, be it any of the Fatal1ty series. Don't go by number of outputs, go with the quality of the ones you have available.

EDIT: Despite having the option, I wouldn't recommend on going with front panels at all. Get an extension cable if you absolutely need such.

shut up

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 265

Quote:

Excuse me? Learn anything at all by yourself from experience before speaking things you know nothing about.

Your post history would be perfectly ok for someone new to the headphone/audio area, but you go around like you knew things, when your post history states very obviously that you know nothing of what you're talking about. Wikipedia doesn't equal experience knowledge. Learn the difference.

I pity you.

Jul 16, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #10 of 265

Quote:

You will get an inferior product if you go with a previous generation X-Fi card, be it any of the Fatal1ty series. Don't go by number of outputs, go with the quality of the ones you have available.

Sorry but that was the whole point of this thread, I'm wondering if I can get same kind of result when listening to music with my Dolby Headphone foobar2000 config with Titanium HD as it doesn't have analog 5.1/7.1 outputs I wonder if I can still put the card in 5.1 speaker mode like any other soundcard with analog multichannel output cards. It's a night and day difference how Dolby Headphone sounds like if the settings for my soundcards are set to stereo or 5.1 speaker setting when upmixing the stereo to 5.1 with channel mixer/dolby headphone in foobar2000. The sound quality difference from the components comes 2nd hand in this case.

That's what I'm wondering about as I have no clue how this works for soundcards without the analog multichannel outputs if they still handle it exactly the same as any other soundcard (as I assume you can still connect digitally to another device/amp/source and from there possibly connect a speaker set in multichannel mode so I suppose that's one reason the card despite lacking the 5.1 outputs may still be able to process it like one having those). I need true 5.1 support I suppose.

(I think I once heard a Xonar STX owner commenting something about channel mixer wouldn't be work with his card and would have to be the ST but may have misinterpreted that)

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #11 of 265
with Titanium HD you can make virtual surround with the software the card have

it will upmix stereo to surround sound with stereo headphones only

but it will not be like 5.1 speakers

or dolby

its better 5.1

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #12 of 265

Quote:
Sorry but that was the whole point of this thread, I'm wondering if I can get same kind of result when listening to music with my Dolby Headphone foobar2000 config with Titanium HD as it doesn't have analog 5.1/7.1 outputs I wonder if I can still put the card in 5.1 speaker mode like any other soundcard with analog multichannel output cards. It's a night and day difference how Dolby Headphone sounds like if the settings for my soundcards are set to stereo or 5.1 speaker setting when upmixing the stereo to 5.1 with channel mixer/dolby headphone in foobar2000. The sound quality difference from the components comes 2nd hand in this case.

That's what I'm wondering about as I have no clue how this works for soundcards without the analog multichannel outputs if they still handle it exactly the same as any other soundcard (as I assume you can still connect digitally to another device/amp/source and from there possibly connect a speaker set in multichannel mode so I suppose that's one reason the card despite lacking the 5.1 outputs may still be able to process it like one having those). I need true 5.1 support I suppose.

(I think I once heard a Xonar STX owner commenting something about channel mixer wouldn't be work with his card and would have to be the ST but may have misinterpreted that)

I know what you're saying, specially one of the purposes you want from a card :) Well, you can indeed set upmix to 5.1, despite the soundcard having 2.0/2.1. You have to keep in mind that it's not the output number that's taken in account, rather the input number, which is why it works on stereo output devices, like most external DACs and soundcards alike.

And yes, you can indeed pass sound along to another device, if you wanted to expand the number of outputs.

I find that STX situation rather odd since STX and ST differ basically on the connector they have. That could be somewhat plausible if it was driver related, but even so, that sounds odd to begin with.

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #13 of 265
So, tom2011, what system are you running? I'm curious. Is it still the first gen Creative (Ensoniq) PCI card? And what other details can you share? Because you certainly talk a lot, so do satisfy this curiosity of mine.

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #14 of 265
Yea well I'd love to opt for the Titanium HD because of the very high quality components in case I get just as good positional cues/directional sound/separation when the soundcard is set to 5.1 speakermode with my Dolby Headphone foobar2000 setup when listening to music as my current soundcards that has 7.1 (analog) output support.

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #15 of 265

Quote:
Yea well I'd love to opt for the Titanium HD because of the very high quality components in case I get just as good positional cues/directional sound when the soundcard is set to 5.1 speakermode with my Dolby Headphone foobar2000 setup when listening to music as my current soundcards that has 7.1 output support.

but it doesnt have 5.1 analog speaker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back