iTunes 9 has WASAPI (Updated: Zune 4 also has bitperfect out)
Nov 22, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #61 of 81
They still haven't fix WASPI not working on Windows 7 x64... A bit annoyed.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #63 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by kikker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know if the newest version of iTunes released in the last week allows for WASAPI on W7 x64?

No. I have iTunes 9.0.3.15 and Quicktime 7.6.5
Going into Quicktime preferences > Audio, the Windows Audio Session is grayed out.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #64 of 81
im very confused by these discussions on itunes and bit perfect or wasapi...

most people take the quick time settings route stating that the wasapi, or windows audio session is greyed out and therefore wasapi doesnt work.

What confuses me is that i cant find any corelation between changing the quick time audio options and playback in itunes (i have win7 64 bit) when i go to quick time and change audio settings absolutely nothing happens in itunes no matter what i do. and i mean nothing.. i can turn quicktime to 32hz 8bit mono and itunes output will not change...

so how are people making the jump from a greyed out wasapi option and itunes not having wasapi..

im not trying to be an a** im genuinely not getting this... furthermore, i have done my darndest to hear a difference btween foobar wasapi and itunes, and im still questioning placebo...

i have little knowlege about any of this.. but i am curious... thanks

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #67 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Br777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
still stumped...

Are you listening to music from the headphone jack of your computer?
wink_face.gif

Windows Audio Session is also grayed out on my Quicktime/itunes (on 64 bit Win 7).
With a dac, and listening to very high bitrate songs that contain very high frequencies with Foobar, extreme treble sounds a touch more detailed and the soundstage sounds a little bigger.

WASAPI is supposed to minimize software processing of the audio stream by the os, which reduces variability on the order of miliseconds. So that would only register in interaural time difference processing (sound localization in nucleus laminaris) and very high frequencies.

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #68 of 81
i realize my questions was not clear... let me try again

i understand that win7 64 bit does not allow me to change quick time settings that would theoretically enable wasapi for itunes playback... this option is also knows as "windows audio session" in the quicktime settings

what i dont understand is this:
quicktime settings do not seem to effect playback in itunes whatsoever regardless of what option you pick.

as i said before:
when i go to quick time and change audio settings absolutely nothing happens in itunes no matter what i do.
i can change the audio settings to 32hz 8bit mono and itunes playback will not change...

let me break it down
open quicktime - edit - preferences -quick time preferences - audio tab
direct sound is highlighted.. i can change the sound out settings to 32hz 8bit mono and itunes playback quality will not change... the change should be enourmous if playback goes down to 8 bit mono...

that said... it seems quick time audio settings do not effect auido playback in itunes... yet people seem to say they do

unless having the windows audio session button available suddenly changes itunes playback??

does the direct sound option have a different role that causes it not to effect itunes where the windows audio session would?

stiiiiiiiiill confused

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #69 of 81
I'm not an expert on computer software, but I believe this is what happens:

When you set QuickTime to 32KHz mono, iTunes (or QuickTime) resamples your 44Khz stereo files to 32KHz mono.

However, Windows will resample it back up to whatever setting you have in Control Panel--> Sound.

Try setting the Control Panel--> Sound setting to mono and see what happens.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #70 of 81
I'm still going to use Foobar2000 over Itunes because of it's lightweight interface and plugins.

Once I first used Foobar2000 last year, I could never use Itunes again. Or anything else for that matter. Just loads 3x faster.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #71 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrumpOrMonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still going to use Foobar2000 over Itunes because of it's lightweight interface and plugins.

Once I first used Foobar2000 last year, I could never use Itunes again. Or anything else for that matter. Just loads 3x faster.

+1

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #72 of 81
so i've tried posting in other threads, but haven't had any luck, so i thought i'd try with other itunes users:

1. my OS = W7 64-bit so that means windows audio session is greyed out. did anyone figure out why yet?
2. if i've got to choose between "safe mode" or "direct sound" which should i go for? does it matter?
3. as to audio settings in windows, what should i choose under the exclusive mode options in windows? yes/no on one or both check boxes?

thanks in advance.

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #75 of 81

Quote:
Today's quicktime 7.6.9 fixed the bug. Windows Audio Session is no longer greyed out.

Nice!  Thanks for sharing.  It works on my Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) desktop.  Once Windows Audio Session is selected, the Sound Out options (Rate - sample rate, Size - bit size, and Channels) are greyed out.  I guess that means it will output the actual sample rate and bit size of the audio file you're playing and not resample to anything else.

However, I no longer have a Dolby Digital AV receiver so I can't verify if it actually outputs bit-perfect audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back