iTunes 9 has WASAPI (Updated: Zune 4 also has bitperfect out)
Sep 11, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #17 of 81
Sorry but no, i'm in vista 32 bits, no pause when other application use sound, i can hear system sounds when i'm playing music on itunes, i'm usig the coaxial output of my inboard IDT high definition audio to my DAC, wasapi works on Foobar

Sep 11, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #18 of 81
Did all of you guys just leave the latency to 33ms? I just changed mine to 300ms like my setting in foobar. When using WASAPI, the music has dropouts when typing on windows messenger and the latency is left at 33ms.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #20 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_d_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm running Vista 64bit and get the same thing.

Nice! Welcome to club
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks like 64-bits causes a problem then.

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #21 of 81
Windows 7 x64 have the same grey out problem.

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #23 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulioCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry but no, i'm in vista 32 bits, no pause when other application use sound, i can hear system sounds when i'm playing music on itunes, i'm usig the coaxial output of my inboard IDT high definition audio to my DAC, wasapi works on Foobar

You're right. I didn't test it with other applications. Looks like the "automatic pause" only happen when I play YouTube video with Firefox. You can also hear Windows Sounds. I wonder why it only pauses with YouTube videos.

Playing other videos with Firefox does not pause iTunes. I have also tried QuickTime movie trailer from Apple's website and CMT music videos; iTunes does not pause.

Nevertheless, the playback is still bitperfect. I did some additional tests:

1. Set QuickTime to 44.1KHz 24 bit; soundcard set to 44.1KHz 24 bit
Bitperfect (DTS WAV file played fine).

2. Set Set QuickTime to 44.1KHz 16 bit; soundcard set to 44.1KHz 24 bit

3. Set QuickTime to 44.1KHz 24 bit; soundcard set to 44.1KHz 16 bit
NOT bitperfect (DTS WAV did not play).

4. Set QuickTime to 44.1KHz 16 bit; soundcard set to 44.1KHz 16 bit

It looks like for my particular soundcard (Juli@) I can only get bitperfect when it is set to 44.1KHz 24 bit, and does not matter what bitrate QuickTime is set at.

For multiple sound streams I did the following test:

With the DTS WAV file playing, I played a CMT music video from CMT : Videos : Country Music Videos, CMT TV Shows, Original Episodes : New Video
As soon as the video plays, the receiver did not detect the DTS signal (NOT bitperfect). iTunes did not pause. But, as soon as I paused the video or closed the Firefox tab, the receiver detected the DTS signal again (bitperfect).

So, it looks like when there are other audio streams, the Windows mixer activates and you don't get bitperfect. But when the other audio streams stop, iTunes is bitperfect again.

I hope this is clear enough.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #24 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmf22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is good news for Windows iTunes users.

Is iTunes 9 able to select a secondary sound device to play? The previous versions could only play over the primary sound device (the device selected in the Windows control panel to play system sounds). That was one of my main objections to iTunes as a player. My FW410 is not set as my primary sound device and I don't want it to be so anything I play in iTunes gets played over the onboard sound device (yuck).

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #25 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is iTunes 9 able to select a secondary sound device to play? The previous versions could only play over the primary sound device (the device selected in the Windows control panel to play system sounds). That was one of my main objections to iTunes as a player. My FW410 is not set as my primary sound device and I don't want it to be so anything I play in iTunes gets played over the onboard sound device (yuck).

Still no option to select secondary sound device.

Sep 12, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #27 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have downloaded the latest iTunes but I am not allowed to select the option of Windows Audio Session. What do I need to do in order to access it? Thanks.

I think there is a problem with 64bit OS, mine is greyed out too.

Sep 12, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #28 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmf22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're right. I didn't test it with other applications. Looks like the "automatic pause" only happen when I play YouTube video with Firefox. You can also hear Windows Sounds. I wonder why it only pauses with YouTube videos.

Playing other videos with Firefox does not pause iTunes. I have also tried QuickTime movie trailer from Apple's website and CMT music videos; iTunes does not pause.

1. Set QuickTime to 44.1KHz 24 bit; soundcard set to 44.1KHz 24 bit

2. Set Set QuickTime to 44.1KHz 16 bit; soundcard set to 44.1KHz 24 bit

3. Set QuickTime to 44.1KHz 24 bit; soundcard set to 44.1KHz 16 bit

4. Set QuickTime to 44.1KHz 16 bit; soundcard set to 44.1KHz 16 bit

It looks like for my particular soundcard (Juli@) I can only get bitperfect when it is set to 44.1KHz 24 bit, and does not matter what bitrate QuickTime is set at.

For multiple sound streams I did the following test:

With the DTS WAV file playing, I played a CMT music video from CMT : Videos : Country Music Videos, CMT TV Shows, Original Episodes : New Video
As soon as the video plays, the receiver did not detect the DTS signal (NOT bitperfect). iTunes did not pause. But, as soon as I paused the video or closed the Firefox tab, the receiver detected the DTS signal again (bitperfect).

So, it looks like when there are other audio streams, the Windows mixer activates and you don't get bitperfect. But when the other audio streams stop, iTunes is bitperfect again.

I hope this is clear enough.

How do you know when it is bitperfect? When sound of another application doesn't play?

Sep 12, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #30 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have downloaded the latest iTunes but I am not allowed to select the option of Windows Audio Session. What do I need to do in order to access it? Thanks.

it only applies to systems running Vista or later. i downloaded iTunes9 on XP and it is grayed out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back