iTunes 11
Feb 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #77 of 124
Quote:
In iTunes 11.0.2 it looks like it now has its own audio settings separate to QuickTime:

I just got the update finally. I feel this is a nice feature. Now we need Apple to officially support FLAC in iTunes.
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #78 of 124
When I initially click for iTunes, the full screen is cut off or cropped  on far right so as to cut off vertical scrolling bar. therefore,  I cannot scroll with pointer. The screen must be minimized, then taken to full screen setting again to  see the scrolling bar. Is this by design or is this a defect?

I have had this same problem since updating to iTunes 11. The recent update to 11.0.2 didn't solve the problem.

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #79 of 124
When I zoom I can see a little of the scrolling bar but not enough to actuate it. Also my iTunes playback screen does not expand or come up to show any user adjustable features, such as Windows Audio Session.

Feb 21, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #80 of 124
Feb 22, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #81 of 124
In iTunes 11.0.2 it looks like it now has its own audio settings separate to QuickTime:

I just got the update finally. I feel this is a nice feature. Now we need Apple to officially support FLAC in iTunes. :p

This would actually be nice, since they would have to update the Classic's firmware, so they could change stuff.

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #83 of 124
I just downloaded 11.0.2 and now I have a full screen with scrolling  bar. The preference for playback screen now includes the audio features as shown on screen shots recently posted here. I set these for direct sound and 24/96. I assume my X-FI HD is now just passing through this rather than up sampling. At any rate, my pre/pro LED readout says I am sending it a 24/96 signal. Most of my iTunes is16/44 but I do have a few 24/96 selections. So far, this morning my favorite selections sound the same as before I made adjustments as mentioned. Maybe the music is a little smoother. I do not understand what Windows Audio Session does but of course I can now just click it on and listen.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #85 of 124
And why do we need that? I like iTunes. I like everything about it, organization, navigation, it's all good. And now that HDtracks offers hi rez downloads in ALAC, for me, there is now no need for a flac player or a flac to ALAC converter.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #86 of 124
I just downloaded 11.0.2 and now I have a full screen with scrolling  bar. The preference for playback screen now includes the audio features as shown on screen shots recently posted here. I set these for direct sound and 24/96. I assume my X-FI HD is now just passing through this rather than up sampling. At any rate, my pre/pro LED readout says I am sending it a 24/96 signal. Most of my iTunes is16/44 but I do have a few 24/96 selections. So far, this morning my favorite selections sound the same as before I made adjustments as mentioned. Maybe the music is a little smoother. I do not understand what Windows Audio Session does but of course I can now just click it on and listen.
Windows Audio Session would imply that it's outputting WASAPI (Windows Audio Session API) but I am not hearing the "pop" that I normally do when WASAPI output is enabled in other applications as the system switches from 24/48 to 24/44.1 for music playback, and if I start WASAPI playback in another application, it takes priority, rather than complaining that the device is already in use.

It will also play audio if I select 24/192 even though 24/48 is the maximum that is currently supported here, so I'm not sure that these controls are actually functional. I don't have any way to check what the output from my system is though, it just seems unlikely that it is outputting the 24/44.1 that I set to avoid resampling.

I am so done with iTunes ... we need a bit perfect unbloated open source replacement!
Really, the only things wrong with iTunes have been a lack of WASAPI output, and frequency switching rather than resampling. I've yet to find anything that I like as much as iTunes from an interface perspective, or anything particularly lacking in iTunes as far as library management is concerned.

The best alternative is probably JRiver, which has all the technical stuff right, but the interface needs a lot of work.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #87 of 124
Quote:
The best alternative is probably JRiver Amarra, which has all the technical stuff right, but the interface needs a lot of work.

Windows needs the port.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #88 of 124
Windows needs the port.
Amarra just seems to hook into iTunes and handle output format switching and EQ. It also seems ridiculously overpriced when JRiver offers the same features and more for $49 - and right now the Mac version is $25. (but it's under active development and is functionally limited compared to the PC version)

Once you have bit-perfect WASAPI output, there's not going to be any difference in audio quality between players unless you're playing with EQ, ReplayGain etc. JRiver does all its processing internally with 64-bits of precision, so you can't really do any better.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #89 of 124
Quote:
Amarra just seems to hook into iTunes and handle output format switching and EQ. It also seems ridiculously overpriced when JRiver offers the same features and more for $49 - and right now the Mac version is $25. (but it's under active development and is functionally limited compared to the PC version)

Once you have bit-perfect WASAPI output, there's not going to be any difference in audio quality between players unless you're playing with EQ, ReplayGain etc. JRiver does all its processing internally with 64-bits of precision, so you can't really do any better.

In the end Amarra sounds better so far. JRiver I feel will eventually dethrone Amarra or even PM, Audirvana, etc.

But even with the cheaper price, and better UI, sound wins out. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #90 of 124
In the end Amarra sounds better so far. JRiver I feel will eventually dethrone Amarra or even PM, Audirvana, etc.

But even with the cheaper price, and better UI, sound wins out.
If you are outputting WASAPI on Windows via JRiver, and aren't doing any kind of processing (ReplayGain, Crossfeed, EQ etc.) JRiver is bit-perfect, and should sound identical to Amarra - assuming Amarra is bit-perfect.

If you are running processing on the files, well then it's possible to sound different, but highly unlikely if you are only using ReplayGain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back