It's the same
Jul 13, 2012 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Talioftheforest

New Head-Fier
[size=13.333333015441895px]-I'm a 16 year old starting out trying to understand how i should go about spending my money. I'm not some intense producer or have plans of building some crazy studio in my basement i just make beats who also likes to record solo artist like myself and eventually bands. I have never had any actual gear except a usb midi controller & some [/size][size=13.333333015441895px]Sony MDR-XD100[/size].

-I'm going to be purchasing the Sennheiser HD650 for mixing. What do i need to run it besides an amp(In my mind it goes like this HD650>AMP> Saffire Pro 40>Computer)My budget is $500 for the best amp or some sort of combination that will last me more than 3 years for the HD650(please don't stretch it)

-I apologize in advance if "it's the same"

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #2 of 20
Based on your setup, it seems like you have all you need to mix except for the amp.  You have the headphones, DAC, and computer.  All you need is an amp.

For mixing, you probably want a very neutral amp that doesn't color the sound.  Others may equalize and color the sound on their end, but for mixing, you'll want the final masters to be essentially neurtal.  I'd also say the same about headphones, but we'll talk about that a little later in this post.

For a neutral amp, I'd suggest a good solid state one.  You don't have to spend crazy money to get a good neutral amp.  Here are a few to consider:

O2 (Objective 2)
Schiit Asgard
Meier Corda (variety of amps, all pretty neutral)
Nuforce Icon
Violectric V90

You can get any of those amps in your budget, and they're all fairly neutral and are well liked.

As far as headphones go, the HD650 is a great set, but they're not neutral.  They're very euphonic, with bass emphasis and high end roll off.  They are nice for listening pleasure, but probably not the best choice for mixing.  For mixing, neutral headphones like the HD600, Beyerdynamic DT880, Ultrasone HFI 680, Denon D200 (tested by Dave Rat to be neutral), or even the AKG Q701.

Hope this helps.

Jul 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 20
I guess the best bet would be to listen to both the HD600 and the HD650 before buying.  But, the general consensus is the HD600 is better for mixing and the HD650 is more enjoyable for relaxed listening.

I don't know much about iBasso products, so, unfortunately, I can't help you there.

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 20
I agree with the ^^
I auditioned both the HD 600 and the HD 650 and choose the HD 600. The HD 650 is a bit fore bassy than the HD 600 and a great for mixing and as a general headphone. I have yet found a genera that I disliked with my HD 600. As for the Amp, the Schiit Asgard a good choice ( I am planning to get the next step up, the Lyr ). It's a great value for the money and has a 5 year warranty. 

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 20
I was just looking at that Saffire Pro 40 webpage and can't help but notice that it already comes with two headphone jacks which it seems are utilizing their "award-winning Focusrite preamps".  If it was me, I would certainly try your new headphones straight from the Saffire for a while before deciding if an additional headphone amp is even necessary. If, as I suspect, you find you don't really need an additional headphone amp, then that $500.00 saved could be put to use on something more useful like a subwoofer to pair with the Adams.

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #9 of 20
Hm, originally that's what i also thought but the Focusrite amps seems to be used for basic tracking and not to drive or compliment hungry headphones. Obviously i'm not going to buy everything at once and like you said if i don't hear a difference then it dose not make much sense to keep the headphone amp. 

Mic->mic pre->interface->computer
Headphone->headphone amp->interface->computer

-Also looking at NJC Audio Monitor II Reference Series Class A Headphone Amplifier, i honestly think that this is worth the money, even if i have to stretch my budget.

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #10 of 20
Looking just at the posted specs, I think it should be able to handle the HD600/650. I have the lesser Focusrite 6 USB which is way lower in power and even that does a decent job with most of my headphones (even my hard to drive orthos). 

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #11 of 20
I would not use the 650's for mixing, or even the 600's, as your likely to be left with some pretty bright recordings.

Most studios use closed back cans. I would look into studio forums, and see what most folks are using.

Every studio I've been in, including Fantasy studios, The Plant and FM recorders all use pretty crappy cans, in the $100.~$150. range.

Look for a totally flat headphone thats easy to drive(32~120 ohms), that way you'll get plenty of volume out of most any mixing board.

Quote:
[size=13.333333015441895px]-I'm a 16 year old starting out trying to understand how i should go about spending my money. I'm not some intense producer or have plans of building some crazy studio in my basement i just make beats who also likes to record solo artist like myself and eventually bands. I have never had any actual gear except a usb midi controller & some [/size][size=13.333333015441895px]Sony MDR-XD100[/size].

-I'm going to be purchasing the Sennheiser HD650 for mixing. What do i need to run it besides an amp(In my mind it goes like this HD650>AMP> Saffire Pro 40>Computer)My budget is $500 for the best amp or some sort of combination that will last me more than 3 years for the HD650(please don't stretch it)

-I apologize in advance if "it's the same"

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 20
Here's a few nice ones.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/denon-dn-hp700-professional-dj-headphones#review

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/akg-k271-mkii-headphones

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/sennheiser-hd280-pro-closed-back-headphones

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/audio-technica-ath-m50-studio-monitor-headphones

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-closed-studio-headphones--250-ohms

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/headphones#fT=2008:5&gP=1&pS=60&v=g&sB=oR&lP=c&catId=site1YD

Jul 23, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 20
I agree with Mr.Tom.

If I was going to do any mixing, I'd probably be using my DT250. Neutral and non-fatiguing sound, very comfortable and built strong as hell. Get the 80ohm version and you won't need to worry about big amps either.

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #14 of 20
Brainwavz HM5 and you wouldn't even need an amp. Perfectly suitable for beginner studio work. You can always get an Objective2 from JDS Labs (for example, there are more sellers) later if you ever decide to upgrade to a HD600 or something. 

Jul 24, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #15 of 20
It's seems as though what headphones are best for mixing is a personal preference so before i buy anything i will try and audition all the suggested. Again whatever pair of headphones i purchase will be accompanied by a pair of Adam a5x's so it's not like i'm just composing and mixing solely on headphones(late nights & detailed work). My original question was what amp for 500$ will run the HD650's well and that will last me awhile(if i ever get a pair of new headphones)so i don't want an amp that will run a pair of headphones decently i want better than decent i want to bring out their full potential!

Also everyone who has mixed on 650's/600 have had or will have bright recordings? i thought you got to know the headphones and mix to make up for it's "character" either way i have found the amp that i want, and it's dose not seem like i need to "upgrade" to something better.......ever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back