--> It's really about the music! <--
Jun 16, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 20
Nice Stereophile article. I agree completely. I wouldn't be in this hobby if not for being disappointed at how Pink Floyd sounded on a cheap $30 pair of Sony cans and wanting to "feel the music" a bit more.

Jun 16, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 20
Terrific article. I hope more people here take a look - there's a lot of wisdom in there.

That's much of the reason why I've cut back and will make more changes in the next few months. I'm going to stick with the most neutral and transparent gear, then focus on music while building the occasional amp. Mostly because the amps are fun to build.

Jun 16, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 20
Great read, and I agree.

I'd have to say that my enjoyment of music has significantly increased in the last few months ever since I decided that I've hit my personal wall of diminishing returns, and have settled to go no further. It's amazing how much more I get into the music when the part of my brain that is always wondering about how much greener the other side of the gear fence could be just shuts off.
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #6 of 20
Fun to read, but I cant help but laugh of the comments that will come here about "we already knew that" followed by an animalistic circlejerk about who has the same gear and how "sweet" it is compared to the direct competition.
A lot can be learned from the article, but a lot of this will fall on deaf ears (or at least ears with headphones on and music playing)
Hopefully this article will result in at least some of them thinking before they post.
@ moogoob:
rolleyes.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
animalistic circlejerk

Only animals that do that are dolphins and the more advanced members of the ape family and dolphins don't have hands so... yeah.
tongue.gif
I guess that leaves humans.

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #9 of 20
I want to hear the emotion conveyed through the music I choose to listen to, if it is not there then its not worth it.

Jun 16, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 20
My gear would be considered 'mid-fi' by many here, but I am happy with my modest setup and, as TopPop mentioned above, there is a point of diminishing returns. I am now much more interested in listening to the music I love than thinking about cables, amps, DAC's, or HP's.

Jun 16, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tattoou2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am now much more interested in listening to the music I love than thinking about cables, amps, DAC's, or HP's.

Amen, brother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back