It's official... iPad!!
Feb 1, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #331 of 379
I'm getting a 3g 16gb for my 76 year old mother. I figure it will be good for her to learn something new and it will be handy when she travels or is hospitalised. She has a 17" intel iMac already.

Personally, I intend to wait for a 2nd or 3rd gen.

I can be mocked via PM for my consumer spending.

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #335 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw this yesterday and I am not Impressed.it looks very sluggish and the screen looks unresponsive.you have to give it up to for their extremly fast and responsive screen

"The speed of the CPU is something to be marveled at. It is blazingly fast from what we can tell. Webpages loaded up super fast, and scrolling was without a hiccup. Moving into and out of apps was a breeze. Everything flew."

"Apple is using ARM's Cortex-A9 MPCore, meaning a dual-core design, with a GPU from ARM, called the Mali 50-Series"

"This is the first fruit of the PA Semi acquisition and could be the defining differentiator to other Tablet computers powered by Android or Windows."

Actually, most people will actually buy it for surfing the internet and checking their e-mail. The advantage is the interface: no keyboard, mouse or trackpad. The rest, like iTunes, the App Store, and auto-locate is just gravy.

As this guy said, "It's the best browsing experience you've ever had. It's phenomenal to see a whole web page right in front of you, and you can manipulate it with your fingers."

The iPod Touch was just a prototype for the iPad; at $499, watch out!

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #336 of 379
breaking news

colbert-ipad-grammys.jpg

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #337 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if they will do this like the MacBook at some point with iPad Pro.

I think OS XI (or whatever they call it) is going to be a merger of the touch technology with the traditional OS. MacBooks and the iPad might merge into a single line of products.

A traditional desktop might turn into more of a server connected to your TV, phone (landline and cell), stereo, and probably home automation and security.

You'll have seamless integration between all of these and be able to control everything from your phone or tablet.

That's where I see Apple headed. The iPhone was the first step to see how the touch technology worked and to get a hold on the mobile communications market. The iPad is the first step towards making ordinary computing touch-based. This is just the first generation. Everyone else will be scrambling to catch up over the next few years.

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #338 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think OS XI (or whatever they call it) is going to be a merger of the touch technology with the traditional OS. MacBooks and the iPad might merge into a single line of products.

A traditional desktop might turn into more of a server connected to your TV, phone (landline and cell), stereo, and probably home automation and security.

You'll have seamless integration between all of these and be able to control everything from your phone or tablet.

That's where I see Apple headed. The iPhone was the first step to see how the touch technology worked and to get a hold on the mobile communications market. The iPad is the first step towards making ordinary computing touch-based. This is just the first generation. Everyone else will be scrambling to catch up over the next few years.

The moment the Ipad mates with the Macbook Pro is the day i will auctually buy a apple product day 1.

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #339 of 379
Someone mentioned teethering your iphone to your MBP. I thought AT&T didn't allow teethering. If you can teether, please illuminate the rest of us on how to do so.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #340 of 379
No LTE support (4G mobile network).
The first commercial LTE network opened for the public here in Oslo 2 months ago, and it would have been great if Apple took advantage of this new technology. 50 Mbit/s downlink and 25 Mbit/s uplink...
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #341 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoNB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone mentioned teethering your iphone to your MBP. I thought AT&T didn't allow teethering. If you can teether, please illuminate the rest of us on how to do so.

Thanks in advance.

I am teethering with my company's Blackberry bold thru AT&T.

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #342 of 379
Ok so how do you do that. Instructions. I have a blackberry (older model) with TMobile. Will it still work?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #343 of 379
I'm tethering with an unlocked iPhone and T-Mobile. Not the fastest speeds and I haven't really had a need for it just yet, but its possible. Someone will ultimately be able to unlock the iPad too I bet. I think AT&T will allow tethering before long though.

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #344 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The advantage is the interface: no keyboard, mouse or trackpad.

Has anyone ever done study of JUST WHAT IS the most efficient interface? Is touch really the best method? Maybe on a tablet it works, but I was at Fry's playing with this touch screen monitor and it sucked beyond belief. Using a mouse I can jump from corner to corner of my screen with barely a movement. With a mouse or trackpad, my hand or arm is never covering the screen. My screen doesnt get soiled with fingerprints. Using a touch screen I have to move my whole arm and, if I want to input several commands, keep my arm raised. Now imagine that in the workplace for eight hours a day...

The dumbest Hollywood vision of computing (perhaps from where the touchpad also takes inspiration) are these reach out and touch computers you see in Sci-Fi movies. Ridiculous. I was watching 'The Matrix Reloaded' and you have these holographic computers where people reach up touch a square, reach their arm to the side, touch a button, GRAB some virtual knob and pull it. Ridiculous. It looks like they're working an 11th Century knitting loom. There's no way in hell this is more efficient or convenient! It would be absolute fatiguing!

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #345 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone ever done study of JUST WHAT IS the most efficient interface? Is touch really the best method? Maybe on a tablet it works, but I was at Fry's playing with this touch screen monitor and it sucked beyond belief. Using a mouse I can jump from corner to corner of my screen with barely a movement. With a mouse or trackpad, my hand or arm is never covering the screen. My screen doesnt get soiled with fingerprints. Using a touch screen I have to move my whole arm and, if I want to input several commands, keep my arm raised. Now imagine that in the workplace for eight hours a day...

The dumbest Hollywood vision of computing (perhaps from where the touchpad also takes inspiration) are these reach out and touch computers you see in Sci-Fi movies. Ridiculous. I was watching 'The Matrix Reloaded' and you have these holographic computers where people reach up touch a square, reach their arm to the side, touch a button, GRAB some virtual knob and pull it. Ridiculous. It looks like they're working an 11th Century knitting loom. There's no way in hell this is more efficient or convenient! It would be absolute fatiguing!

HAHA, i never though of it like that, or like in minority report. but this thing isnt meant to be used at work for 8 hours a day, its more of a lounge device like lying in the couch or in bed, so it works, at least i think it will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back