It's not a record company
Feb 8, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #16 of 25
Well that explains a lot. But it doesn't make their use of the term accurate.

When vinyl dominated everyone knew what a record was, and they understood it to be a 78, 45, or 33 RPM recording on vinyl or shellac discs. This is not a matter of "opinion," it is a matter of fact. There was no ambiguity regarding the meaning of the term. And it wasn't as if there were no competing recording media -- cassette, 8-track, and open reel tapes were around.

Choosing to apply a term incorrectly as jargon does not make it accurate. I can choose to call a lump of coal a diamond, but I doubt I will be able to persuade a jeweller to buy it from me as a diamond. Similarly, you cannot expect someone who grew up with records and knows what they are to accept the idea that any medium containing a sound recording is a "record." It is not.

--Jerome

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, all of the major "music" companies still release titles on vinyl records.

On that point I have no disagreement.

But suggesting that a CD is a record...in mini-LP CD or other packaging...is wrong. And with that said, I see no reason to continue to beat this topic to death.

So I will leave others to have the last word if they must.

--Jerome

Feb 9, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 25
My main reason for starting this thread off was that I went to a website that does classical stuff and called itself a record company.

And then I had a big grump when all their nice stuff was on CD, not on a record and posted here..

I've put some Mzart on and I'm in less of a grump now, although I still think there's a market for beautifully performed and recorded classical music that doesn't come from the back-catalogue.

Feb 9, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #19 of 25
You know what I also can't stand? When people still call sitting in the seat next to the driver "riding shotgun". It's not like they have a shotgun, the way they would have back in the stagecoach days. What's their deal anyway? Jeez.

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

If you had to get technical, a vinyl record is actually called an LP or long play album.

That's funny. I have some vinyl 45s but last time I checked, they were just singles and the song lasted only a few minutes.

CDs are not records, and neither are cassette tapes, 8-tracks, reel-to-reels, MP3's or piano rolls.

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #21 of 25
beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Sorry....couldn't resist.
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #25 of 25
i read the OP as: why do they call themselves record companies, when all they do is sell records (from whoever supplies to them?)

a record company (label) can do that if they handle recordings. but yeah, i always though people call CDs "CDs" & records, "records" - whatever their age. some DJs like to call them vinyl, so they can distance themselves from the record buying public. even further when they say "ooooh, i have the acetate of that!"
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back