It's not a record company
Feb 6, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 25
Same really as a 'demo tape' or a calling a 32-bit operating system an x86 system or a DAP a 'mp3 player'.
Historic naming and use of products just makes stuff easier in common lingo as through the years, people know what you talking about.
Anyway, record companies still do sell records. It's called vinyl.

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 25
CDs ARE records. duh.
Record companies are recording companies. Any medium that holds the information for the recordings are records, not just vinyl.

Even books, hard drives, and photos are records (of a different nature).

Feb 6, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CDs ARE records.

Especially in the form of Mini LP CD....and yes, the data side of this CD is black in color

3069501138_e7e83a45d5.jpg

3068656879_c54fe3bb20.jpg

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 25
I think "record" is literally short for "recording" (where both are used as noun), nothing more or less. The medium on which they are stored is irrelevant. If Quincy Jones says "That was a great record", he's talking about a song. Not a piece of vinyl, or a CD, or ADAT, or whatever else. Just a specific performance/mix of a song or group of songs that has been captured to be heard in the future.

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 25
I used to work at a video rental place around the VHS/DVD crossover. You know how many people asked for a movie "on video" when they meant VHS? I kept biting my tongue to keep myself from blathering on about a DVD contains video in digital format.

Sigh. Don't get me started on letterbox vs. pan & scan.

So yeah, CDs are records. So are casettes, so are vinyl LPs. And shellac gramophone discs for that matter. And old WW2-era wire spools....

(can go on for hours
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 7, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #9 of 25
Was anyone posting to this thread born before 1970?

I was born in the late 1950s and when I started buying albums in the early 1970s they were collectively called records. Records were also specifically called 45s and LPs, and we went to the record store to buy them. You can be sure we didn't go to the recording store. We didn't call 8-track tapes and cassettes records, despite the fact that they contained recordings.

Note: A mini-LP CD is about marketing and packaging -- it is still a CD. And in the commonly accepted and correct historical vernacular it most certainly is NOT a record.

Very nice try at revisionist history...err umm lexicography though.
smily_headphones1.gif

--Jerome

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was born in the late 1950s and when I started buying albums in the early 1970s they were collectively called records. Records were also specifically called 45s and LPs, and we went to the record store to buy them. You can be sure we didn't go to the recording store. We didn't call 8-track tapes and cassettes records, despite the fact that they contained recordings.

--Jerome

Right. I grew up with records ( 45's, LPs and some of my grandmother's 78's). We went to the record store to buy them. Cassettes were tapes, CDs were/are just that, neither were ever called records. If I go to a place calling itself a record store, I'd expect to find vinyl there.

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most musicians I know still say they're 'making a record' when they go into the studio.
My $0.02

1. How many musicians with recording contracts do you personally know?
2. And how many of them are younger than 40?
3. Do you believe that they are right and their CD releases qualify as records (meaning records and CDs are the same thing)?

--Jerome

Feb 8, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Note: A mini-LP CD is about marketing and packaging -- it is still a CD. And in the commonly accepted and correct historical vernacular it most certainly is NOT a record.

Very nice try at revisionist history...err umm lexicography though.
smily_headphones1.gif

I understand your POV....and I was born before 1970
icon10.gif

However, all of the major "music" companies still release titles on vinyl records.

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

3. Do you believe that they are right and their CD releases qualify as records (meaning records and CDs are the same thing)?

--Jerome

CDs qualifying as records doesn't make it the same thing.

A square qualifies as a rectangle, but they aren't the same thing.

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Several, and many independent artists and session musicians as well.

Quote:

Most of the musicians I know well are late 20s - mid 30s.

Quote:

--Jerome

I think younger musicians pick up the term from their producers and other more established people in the industry. I picked it up from the first producer I recorded with. The way I think of it, calling them records gives the recording process a romantic and nostalgic feeling, and offers respect to those who blazed the trail before. Plus, it's entrenched in the industry jargon - every industry has its jargon, and right or wrong, 'making a record' is part of the music industry's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back