It's Late, I know but I have dilemma...
Mar 5, 2002 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

x1lexure

100+ Head-Fier
Here's my question, during the last month I have been trying to put together the "perfect" (IN a sense) portable system. (For under $400) And I have come to a final to the final choice, do I go for the

Grado SR-80
Panasonic SLCT570
Cha 47 JMT AMP
Case Logic Bag
Straight Wire Mini-Mini
Grado Soft Earpads

OR do I buy the

Etymotic ER6
Panasonic SLCT570
Cha 47 JMT AMP
Case Logic Bag
Straight Wire Mini-Mini

You all can be the judge...It's in your lap now!

(Dun, dun, dun.)
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 5, 2002 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 23
I vote for the ER6. In terms of sound quality, it blows the Grado out of the water, and it's isolation means you are less likely to abuse your eardrums trying to defeat external noise with your volume control.

Mar 5, 2002 at 7:42 AM Post #4 of 23
I second that opinion. I haven't heard the Ety's, but I have owned the SR-80's. And IMHO they sound like crap.

Mar 5, 2002 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 23
Time has no meaning here at Head-Fi.
rolleyes.gif

#4: Etys

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 5, 2002 at 2:55 PM Post #9 of 23
#2. The loudness and comparative bulk of the Grados does them in for portable use. I've had people in public places ask me to turn down my SR60s even at low volumes (maybe they just didn't like Opeth ??), and that rigid stethoscope cable and immense driver cups make these as portable as a .50 cal machine gun. I haven't heard the Er6s either, but everyone in the world who ever heard them seemed to love them, except for that person Sadaam Hussein who prefers Koss Plugs, and except in comparison to the Er4s...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #11 of 23
Definitely #2. If you ever get extra money, springing for the 4P will make an even bigger difference from the Grado.

Mar 5, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #14 of 23
I'll throw in with option 2 as well, but also add that they probably won't work so well if you plan on wearing them while walking. The occlusion effect plus the increased danger of not being able to hear your surroundings are definite drawbacks to wearing etys on the go.

But I think they'll trounce the Grado for applications in which you are sitting down. And you can pick up a Koss 35 / 50 for when you want to listen while walking.

Mar 5, 2002 at 7:45 PM Post #15 of 23
I second Persiflage's comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back