It's got to stop!
Jul 11, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #198 of 461
I can't think of an area in consumer electronics that doesn't have boutique products priced multiples above their more typical pricing. Some examples, none of which are anywhere near the top priced items in their market.

A gaming PC that starts at over $5k and can easily get to $12k: https://www.maingear.com/boutique/pc/configurePrd.asp?idproduct=2185
A camera at $30k: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1128043-REG/leica_10807_s_summicron_100_edition.html
A TV for $20k: https://www.worldwidestereo.com/products/lg-oled77g6p-77-class-lg-signature-4k-uhd-oled-3d-smart-tv-with-webos-3-0?via=56017f1cf7430b7cef00015d,5627dad3f7430b5267004411

Until these companies can force you to purchase only their TOTL products and not their or their competitor's less expensive lines, we as consumers have control. And you can certainly get 95% of the performance of the items above for a fraction of the price.

So, here comes the crucial reason why does this thread exist, and we continue to have whining about expensive audio products and so much resistance from people.

See.... all of these examples, one common point is that the manufacturers of these expensive products can confidently say...

1) Their products are indeed superior to cheaper products.

Or...

2) Overall aim for such products is for luxury, not performance.

That PC, 30K camera and TV do provide better performance than cheaper ones, with superior physical aspects for the TV. The PC also kind of go to no.2, but at least the manufacturer does not try to say that those expensive physical accessories (RGB lights, etc) do not provide better performance. They are honest in that regards.

Audio companies, not so much.

The crux of the issue is that most of the time, you are just not going to hear 'improvement' at all. Worst case, you may perceive the sound quality has declined if the headphones do not provide right frequency response that fits for the user. The absolute fact is that the technology regarding audio quality is really at its plateau, and you are just not going to get any better anytime soon.

The fact that so called 'hot' audio technologies is really either old (i.e ortho was once made by Yamaha in 1970s) and/or convenience (i.e surrounds so we don't need that many speakers, MQA for those who do not have enough pipe and/or storage.) Very few new technology that actually related to sound quality has not appeared since 1980s atfer digital revolution.

Yet, the audio companies are forced to use only "higher performance" excuse because as luxury products, audio stuffs just do not sell well (example: look how B&O was struggling so hard, and most of their income was really coming from ICE amp module for a long time). People just turned away as soon as audio companies removed 'performance' part and inserted 'luxury' part.

But, as we know, luxury products give the best margin, and the audio companies do not want to give up that margin. So here comes companies blatantly lying about audio performance and stuffs.

And people know they are lying, thus ever decreasing faith and confidence in audio companies. In current atmosphere, any companies making super crazy expensive products, and claiming about 'high performance' would find themselves in ocean of criticism... because they simply do not live up to the promise, due to the reasons mentioned above.

I mean, I have all of these Audezes, Hifiman, Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic.... and in the end I return to my old HD650 which is now more than a decade old. Pretty much any headphones, expensive or inexpensive, do not have much improvement over my HD650 except maybe my pre-fezer LCD 2.2.

Oh, not to mention Schiit and Massdrop have really accelerated the notion that better products can be obtained in much cheaper does not help traditional audio companies which were relied on lying about high performance excuse.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #199 of 461
What I find interesting about this thread is that without the "carrot", i.e. newest, best, most expensive, this hobby would not anywhere as much sustained interest. Part of the utility received from being interested in high-end audio is being able to be surprised just after you've made an "end game" purchase that there's a whole new level. it's like looking into a mirror with another mirror behind you. Similarly, I seem to get equally as much enjoyment thinking about and researching a potential purchases as I do from listening. I'm alway looking for the new "carrot." The "stick" might get smaller with increased disposable income, but it's all relative; at most levels there's nearly always another "end game" out there waiting to be purchased.

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #200 of 461
First, you confessed you didn't quite understand what I said, so you judged yourself when you said "Using unrelated analogies just serves to muddy the discussion", right?

Frankly I'm starting to get the sense that you're the kind of person that wants to yell at the sun for rising and the wind for blowing...I'm not here for such never-ending fights.

What I see the problem is some/maybe many companies are too greedy. I make this conclusion based on two facts:
1. I noticed many headphones on Amazon have huge discount at ANY time. That means they admit their initial prices is ridiculous.
2. I don't know another area in electrics market has the phenomenon like audio. There are some companies like aristocrat, they can ask a price so much higher than others. This is not right from my sight, maybe many in this thread. As I said, new technology should bring down the cost, especially for electrical products. I didn't see this happened even up to our age, with such advancing of technology. This is absolutely abnormal from my sight!!!

1. That's part of Amazon's marketing/sales pitch - "look at how much money we save you!!!" They make their money through volume over individual margin, just like most other big retailers today (e.g. Wal-mart, Costco, etc). A lot of audiophile or other "luxury goods" will have significant margins worked in to support brick and mortar retailers that have higher overhead costs per unit sold than bulk/big box retailers, hence those margins are needed to survive. On many audiophile/boutique audio goods those margins can be well over 50%, which makes total and complete sense if you've got to pay rent on 5th Ave and pay salesmen to stand around and sell stuff. So what the big box retailers can do is eat some of that margin to offer "a better deal" for the customer, while also removing overhead by not having salesmen, physical retail locations, less pre/post-sales support, etc. It's a trade-off.

Additionally, I'd like to introduce you to the idea of free market economics: the price of a good or service will sell at a price the market can bear. A lot of companies selling boutique goods don't have a clear idea what the market will bear for their product, precisely because they're introducing something that is intended to offer features/status/whatever beyond its utility value, so they offer the item or service at an "ask" price, and let the market whittle it down to whatever it will bear. Some manufacturers (like Grado) have a history of strongly enforcing that "ask" price as an MSRP, but conversely others (like Koss) will largely let the market do what it will (this also helps those brick and mortar retailers because it lets the salesmen "cut you a deal" after you "haggle them down" - of course they're still making a profit, but there's enough margin worked in not only to make sure they still get to eat dinner, but to let them bring the price down from the initial "ask" price).

This behavior is extremely common in many other food and non-food goods, like automobiles, computer hardware, real estate, etc (and is the foundation of commodities exchanges). This is basic econ 101.

2) The whole premise that you're starting from "new technology must bring down the cost" is itself flawed. There is no such rule. *Sometimes* new innovations or technologies can result in reduced costs, like for example being able to mass produce DRAM devices more cheaply dropping the prices on most computing machinery in the late 1990s, but that isn't always a gurantee. Consider, on the other hand, the "massive runaway increase in prices" on mobile phones over the same period, precisely because they introduced newer and more complex technology and features (and before "well but its free now!" - no, it isn't - go look up the retail price for an iPhone or similar). Point is, there is no such rule, and that's a flaw in your logic.

As far as the "aristrocrat brand" - let me introduce you to another concept in economics and marketing: Veblen Goods. The idea is that there are some objects that are expensively solely for the reason that they are expensive, and they represent something known as conspicuous consumption. A Rolls-Royce car is usually a prime example of this. It costs *far* more than its utility value could bear, and *far* more than even the sum of its parts, but it sells precisely because it is very expensive and represents a luxury good. Your argument, if we took your premise as a fact (which again, it is not), would be that this is "a disease" because a Chevrolet can be had with similar outfitting (and really, it can - Rolls-Royce does not have a monopoly on leather seats, V8 engines, four door sedans, powered accessories, etc).

As I pointed out previously, none of this is new or exclusive to headphones - there have *ALWAYS BEEN* (going back to the 1980s) very expensive (multi-thousand dollars per pair) headphones, and this is not some new phenomenon that you've happened to discover. Additionally, the average price-to-performance ratio has come down both in absolute terms (especially for "peripheral" devices like DACs and amps) and relative to inflation, for example if we compare a "former flagship dynamic can" (and yes VandyMan, I've got your post quoted below) like MDR-R10 or MDR-Q010 at original MSRP to something like HD 800S at current MSRP, not only is it cheaper absolutely, it is also cheaper relative to inflation. So where's this "big insidious scandal" supposed to be? And we won't even get into the argument about "well technically the HD 800S offers quantitatively better performance than many former $1k+ cans."

I'm pretty sure I paid $500 for my HD-600s in 1999. Per an inflation calculator, that is $733 in 2017 buying power. I paid something like $800 ($1174 in 2017) for the Grado RS-1s at the same time. Maybe that price included the little battery powered amp, I can't recall. (I ended up returning them. Most painful to wear headphone ever and Grado had some build issues back then.) These were both the ToTL dynamic headphones from two of the most highly regarded companies at the time.

They never were "the ToTL dynamic headphones" - they were high end offerings, but there were certainly more expensive/fancier/more exotic options. The "era of $1k+" stuff is not new, but it is perhaps more visible solely because of the Internet and death of B&M retail. I'm not going to entertain a semantic argument about "well but I said "dynamic" so nanner nanners" - forest for the trees and all that.

It is absolutely true that the cost of ToTL headphones has gone up faster than inflation and by a wide margin.

Prove. It.

Modern "ToTL" headphones have tended to run at $1000-1500 from many manufacturers even going back to the 1990s, with a few outliers. Perhaps what you're noticing is that the players have changed - where once we had Audio-Technica, Sony, Grado, etc dominating the field, now we have Audeze, HiFiMan, and Focal. But in terms of "well its going up faster than inflation" - not really. $1500 (or thereabouts) got you an exotic flagship in the early 90s, the early 00s, the early 10s, and will probably still do so in the early 20s. That's not even matching inflation.

Oddly, this has happened despite increased competition and an explosion in the size of the market.

More likely there's just more visibility of such products. In other words, if you go back to 1990, how many people do you figure knew about the MDR-R10, ESP/950, STAX LNS, Grado HP1000, etc? In a pre-Internet, pre-personal audio, pre-social media world. Whereas today its very easy to see listicle content aggregators go out and find stuff that's expensive to create those "the ten most superlative somethings for something" filler articles.

As far as "increased competition" - I'd contend that at the ultra high end there really isn't such an increase. I'd also wager at the ultra high end the growth really hasn't been "explosive." Current (and even historic) market research is too imprecise to tell us that though - it categorizes "$300+" (or thereabouts) as one block, because of how narrow and niche that market is. Certainly in the $200-400 segment we've seen *lots* of newcomers in the last ten years, and I think this would largely fit into the genre of "there's lots of competition and folks trying to do new things so we see benefits of that as consumers" but again we don't (at least that I'm aware of) have objective data that separates that market segment out from the $500+ or $1000+ market. Basically what I'm getting at is, if you take something like the LCD-4 or MDR-R10, there's a very small number of people who will ever buy a pair, and I think that probably holds up over time, whereas something like the Bose QC35 or Sennheiser HD 600 probably sees significantly better exposure today than something like the SR-300 did back in the 1995. But as far as the market research studies I've seen go, all of those are dropped into the same category - "over $300."

Those forces are supposed to lead to lower prices. In defense, many ToTL headphones now are more complex to design and manufacture, using very thin membranes, high tech magnets, CAD design, etc, etc.

Again, "new tech" and "high tech" doesn't always lead to lower prices. If said new/high tech requires use of exotic materials, like Focal and beryllium deposition (which has always been an involved and expensive process), or Sony's use of LCPs, or the use of exotic hardwoods, leather, elaborate machining of expensive substances (e.g. magnesium alloys, carbon fibre, etc) you're probably going to see a net price increase versus injection molded plastic. And there is certainly a "balancing act" that higher end/exotic manufacturers get into, so if you take something like the new Focal Utopia - how much of their "luxuryness" is due to said high/new tech, and how much is there simply to help justify what Focal knew in advance would be a relatively high pricetag (and which then ultimately drives the pricetag up higher)? Certainly I think there's also a degree of consumer expectation as well - do you remember how berated/belittled Sennheiser was over the HD 800 being "all plastic" and "not luxury enough" - or the same for Koss with the ESP/950, or Grado with the RS and GS lines? So new-comers are certainly cognizant of what has and hasn't worked in the past, and work within that too. And that's partly where you get products like TH-900 or Z1R that have tons of (more or less) non-performance luxury add-ons thrown at them (IOW, would the TH-900 sound appreciably different if those cups were just spray-painted with Krylon vs hand-finished in Japan? do the Z1R require that beta titanium headband where plastic and spring steel would also work?).

That is not to say that there isn't some plain stupid pricing going on, ahem, Ultrasone.

Ultrasone's Edition line has always been an outlier, but the average price for a new Edition model has actually come down over the last 15 years. That isn't to say the $3000+ MSRP Edition isn't still a thing, but it isn't a new thing either - the original Edition, Edition 7, was something like $3700 when it launched back in 2003, which hasn't been met or matched by any product since excluding the 5LTD (and from my understanding the price there was precisely for the exotic hardwood and low production numbers, and the 5UL is supposedly the same headphone underneath - doubt we'll ever see any objective confirmation of that though).

Once you "norm out" the Edition line-up, and look at their more standard (and I would assume much higher volume) offerings, like PROline and HFI, their prices have remained pretty stable over the same time period as well - $300-500 gets you a pretty snazzy pair of Ultrasones today, just like it did then. Again, I'm not seeing "runaway pricing" or "an insipid sickness" at play here. The Signature line would actually support the "well there's newer tech, prices unequivocally absolutely MUST COME DOWN" - they've been very up-front that the Signature line is essentially based upon Edition 7 and 9, at significantly lower cost (and probably that's in no small part to the removal of non-performance luxury add-ons and reliance on more conventional materials in a mass produced environment).

On the other hand, for less than I spent in 1999, even unadjusted for inflation, you can now get the same or better headphones. I think that fact mitigates the high prices quite a bit.

I'd agree with this too. If the HD 600 or 650 or K701 or whatever had been done away with and Sennheiser/AKG/Beyer/whoever now wanted $1500+ for that level of quality/performance, I'd absolutely agree with being up in arms, but bottom line is that in both absolute and inflation-adjusted numbers, that level of performance has not only not gone away, its gotten cheaper too. Sure, some folks may grumble at the K701 no longer being made in Austria, or Grado no longer giving away the cigar box with an RS purchase, or Sennheiser no longer bundling the DSP amplifier with the HD 600, etc as cost-downs, but ultimately those things fit into that "non-performance luxury add" box as far as I'm concerned.

Lastly, I'd rather jam a pencil in my ear than listen to a T1 v1. (Kidding. Mostly.)

Ha!

yangian, did you ever read Jason Stoddard's Schiit Happened story? He has a chapter discussing why they never have sales on their products, nor discount them.

This. This a thousand times over as well. Like I said above, historically these kinds of products have to include higher margins worked in so that sales can still be profitable, and so that physical retailers can eat dinner at night (and honestly what's with this new age idea that "we still want to be capitalists, but if the item they're selling is more than $0.01 over its BOM cost, its a total scam and they should be executed for crimes against the state!"). Stoddard explains this really well throughout that book, and also offers musings on how the market is really changing in the face of Amazon, Wal-mart, Costco, etc employing a different method to remain profitable. Currently I think its probably safe to say that not all manufacturers/vendors/distributors/etc are on the same page, especially in more niche markets where their overall exposure is (historically) very low. Grado is a good example of this - Grado still clings to fixed pricing and very limited distribution through a dealer network, and that keeps their prices "higher" on average than competitors who have embraced more direct/big-box retail and more fluid pricing (like Koss - and why do I keep using Grado and Koss as examples here? because they're both American companies that produce at least some of their products (especially their higher end products) in the USA, so they're not an unfair comparison). Certainly some manufacturers/distributors/whatever can afford to retain this model (at least in the short term), but frankly I think Stoddard is probably right that we're going to see more big-box/direct sales in the future, and the elimination of physical retail and the margins and sales practices associated with it. It just makes more sense to offer the consumer lower prices if you can do it and remain profitable, and I think nobody is really arguing that Wal-mart's "volume over individual margin" model is inherently unprofitable or otherwise uneconomical.

DAPs are a good example. I have an AK380 here, as well as quite a few others, and only with well-recorded music is it clearly sonically better than any of the other DAPs (ignoring features and other factors). For a lot of music, it isn't. I think like the story of the guy who had bought a high-end system only to demo Christmas music on it to his friends (because he'd read or been told that it was a good recording!) is really the main issue -- that is, getting what will give you sufficient satisfaction for the music you enjoy, instead of what someone else lusts after because it is expensive and/or shiny.

And I'd agree with this too. Diminishing returns is a powerful force, and isn't exclusive to audio either. Someone brought up the example of computers, and someone else brought up cars, and in both cases those markets see diminishing returns as well. Some examples for folks who may want to pursue it:

- Will a Ferrari really offer a 10x or 20x better driving experience, on the same public roads, at the same rated speeds (e.g. 25-55 mph) as a Citoren or Chevrolet? Can you even quantify "better" in some way? Sure its a faster car on the race-track, but is that what you're buying it for? And is it even the most economical choice for that?

- Will buying a 6950X and Titan Xp SLI really offer a 10x or 20x better gaming experience, on the same real-world games, at the same typical resolutions (e.g. 1080p or 1440p (before "BUT 4K!!!" - go take a gander at the latest Steam HW Survey and tell me how big of a deal 4K really is - I'll help you: 48.77% of respondents are using 1080p (and that's seen growth since the last time the survey ran), and the next five most popular resolutions (which total up another 38.07% of respondents) are lower than that)., etc. Is it economical?

Sure you can respond with "well but I drive my Ferrari on the race track and that's why I own it, and its better than the Citoren for that!" or "yeah I know its "not worth it" for 1080p, but I have a 5K monitor!" and in both cases this goes right back to what Currawong said - only in specific usage scenarios is there a clear advantage, and even then it doesn't likely have a linear relationship to the price increase. That doesn't mean "don't buy luxury goods" if you want them, ultimately that's getting out of the realm of empirical discussion and trying to tell someone how they feel about something, but it does mean there's clearly something "else" beyond absolute performance going on with the pricing of luxury goods, which is where I'll go back to Veblen Goods and the idea of conspicuous consumption.

Frankly I will add that, at a casual glance, it is easy to say "yes everything is getting so much more expensive those evil capitalist pigs are trying to fleece us and its a crime against the people" but that assertion simply doesn't stand up in light of said capitalist pigs still offering previous values at the same (or lower) prices. But good news doesn't sell, so its easier to complain about the end of the world and then print a retraction than it is to just say "things are pretty good, carry on."

What I find interesting about this thread is that without the "carrot", i.e. newest, best, most expensive, this hobby would not anywhere as much sustained interest. Part of the utility received from being interested in high-end audio is being able to be surprised just after you've made an "end game" purchase that there's a whole new level. it's like looking into a mirror with another mirror behind you. Similarly, I seem to get equally as much enjoyment thinking about and researching a potential purchases as I do from listening. I'm alway looking for the new "carrot." The "stick" might get smaller with increased disposable income, but it's all relative; at most levels there's nearly always another "end game" out there waiting to be purchased.

Its like Qui-Gonn Jinn said - "there's always a bigger fish."

I think this is an interesting point as well, but I'll have to say I diverge from you on being interested in another "carrot." There was a thread a while back (I mean years ago) in the Summit-Fi section about "have you found your endgame" and at the time I said "yep" and frankly even today I still say "yep." There has to come a point where good enough really can be good enough, and you decide that choice paralysis is no way to live. Someone will always have a bigger house, faster car, bigger salary, etc whatever, and frankly I think Louis CK put it best - "you only look in your neighbor's bowl to see if he has enough."

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #201 of 461
Jul 12, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #202 of 461
Frankly I'm starting to get the sense that you're the kind of person that wants to yell at the sun for rising and the wind for blowing...I'm not here for such never-ending fights.

1. That's part of Amazon's marketing/sales pitch - "look at how much money we save you!!!" They make their money through volume over individual margin, just like most other big retailers today (e.g. Wal-mart, Costco, etc). A lot of audiophile or other "luxury goods" will have significant margins worked in to support brick and mortar retailers that have higher overhead costs per unit sold than bulk/big box retailers, hence those margins are needed to survive. On many audiophile/boutique audio goods those margins can be well over 50%, which makes total and complete sense if you've got to pay rent on 5th Ave and pay salesmen to stand around and sell stuff. So what the big box retailers can do is eat some of that margin to offer "a better deal" for the customer, while also removing overhead by not having salesmen, physical retail locations, less pre/post-sales support, etc. It's a trade-off.

Additionally, I'd like to introduce you to the idea of free market economics: the price of a good or service will sell at a price the market can bear. A lot of companies selling boutique goods don't have a clear idea what the market will bear for their product, precisely because they're introducing something that is intended to offer features/status/whatever beyond its utility value, so they offer the item or service at an "ask" price, and let the market whittle it down to whatever it will bear. Some manufacturers (like Grado) have a history of strongly enforcing that "ask" price as an MSRP, but conversely others (like Koss) will largely let the market do what it will (this also helps those brick and mortar retailers because it lets the salesmen "cut you a deal" after you "haggle them down" - of course they're still making a profit, but there's enough margin worked in not only to make sure they still get to eat dinner, but to let them bring the price down from the initial "ask" price).

This behavior is extremely common in many other food and non-food goods, like automobiles, computer hardware, real estate, etc (and is the foundation of commodities exchanges). This is basic econ 101.

2) The whole premise that you're starting from "new technology must bring down the cost" is itself flawed. There is no such rule. *Sometimes* new innovations or technologies can result in reduced costs, like for example being able to mass produce DRAM devices more cheaply dropping the prices on most computing machinery in the late 1990s, but that isn't always a gurantee. Consider, on the other hand, the "massive runaway increase in prices" on mobile phones over the same period, precisely because they introduced newer and more complex technology and features (and before "well but its free now!" - no, it isn't - go look up the retail price for an iPhone or similar). Point is, there is no such rule, and that's a flaw in your logic.

As far as the "aristrocrat brand" - let me introduce you to another concept in economics and marketing: Veblen Goods. The idea is that there are some objects that are expensively solely for the reason that they are expensive, and they represent something known as conspicuous consumption. A Rolls-Royce car is usually a prime example of this. It costs *far* more than its utility value could bear, and *far* more than even the sum of its parts, but it sells precisely because it is very expensive and represents a luxury good. Your argument, if we took your premise as a fact (which again, it is not), would be that this is "a disease" because a Chevrolet can be had with similar outfitting (and really, it can - Rolls-Royce does not have a monopoly on leather seats, V8 engines, four door sedans, powered accessories, etc).

As I pointed out previously, none of this is new or exclusive to headphones - there have *ALWAYS BEEN* (going back to the 1980s) very expensive (multi-thousand dollars per pair) headphones, and this is not some new phenomenon that you've happened to discover. Additionally, the average price-to-performance ratio has come down both in absolute terms (especially for "peripheral" devices like DACs and amps) and relative to inflation, for example if we compare a "former flagship dynamic can" (and yes VandyMan, I've got your post quoted below) like MDR-R10 or MDR-Q010 at original MSRP to something like HD 800S at current MSRP, not only is it cheaper absolutely, it is also cheaper relative to inflation. So where's this "big insidious scandal" supposed to be? And we won't even get into the argument about "well technically the HD 800S offers quantitatively better performance than many former $1k+ cans."

Hehe. I pointed out your illogical words, and you try to assault me. That only more clearly tells us what kind of a person you are!

I do not have any interest to discuss with you any more. You stand on the ship of the manufactures, and I stand on the ship of customer. There is always tension between manufactures and customer. I have said in previous posts. We have no base to discuss since we hold different perspectives.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #203 of 461
They never were "the ToTL dynamic headphones" - they were high end offerings, but there were certainly more expensive/fancier/more exotic options. The "era of $1k+" stuff is not new, but it is perhaps more visible solely because of the Internet and death of B&M retail. I'm not going to entertain a semantic argument about "well but I said "dynamic" so nanner nanners" - forest for the trees and all that..

I'm gonna ignore most of that long ramble because I don't understand why you are being so hostile or what point you are trying to make. Basically, TL;DR but did skim it. Please do not put words that I never said into quotes.

I shared a historical perspective because not a lot of folks who are into headphones now were not around the scene in 1999. My only comment on your invective is to correct the factually inaccurate attack on me. I specifically commented about Grado and Sennheiser, but you removed that inconvenient detail from your reply. As I said, Grado and Sennheiser were two of the most talked about headphone companies in 1999. The RS-1/RS-2 were Grado's ToTL in 1999. They made no headphones that cost more or were considered better. Dynamic or otherwise. Likewise, the HD-600 was Sennheiser's ToTL headphone in 1999. The Orpheus came out in 1991 and only 300 units were made. I doubt there were more than a handful available new anywhere in USA by 1999. If there were better Sennheiser phones available new in 1999, I don't recall them being discussed on the American headphone websites of the day.

Now you can go back to tilting at windmills...

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #204 of 461
So the OP is basically saying there is an opportunity to snatch this market by the balls by making a a better performing/value headphone. So do it already! Blow them all up like Steve Jobs.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #205 of 461
well since 1999, tech bubble aside and with the fed actions from 2008, we have been in a 20 year boom cycle with increasing net worth, asset nav etc... what would you expect except fancier cars, elaborate home design, better audio. some things that can be brought into mass market have gone down in price, but wall mart, dollarama, and other brand killers have resulted.
its the best of times and its the worst of times, depending how you roll.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #206 of 461
well since 1999, tech bubble aside and with the fed actions from 2008, we have been in a 20 year boom cycle with increasing net worth, asset nav etc... what would you expect except fancier cars, elaborate home design, better audio. some things that can be brought into mass market have gone down in price, but wall mart, dollarama, and other brand killers have resulted.
its the best of times and its the worst of times, depending how you roll.

It is funny when you live in a developing country like Romania, so you see life like it had had exploded in the past 10 years or less. In 2010, there were no chances to dream that tech will evolve this fast, now we have near live experience IEMs and headphones available to purchase and some of them are becoming more and more accessible.

I wish for brands to bring themselves forward more - the large public stays exposed to cheap and low quality products quite a lot. If phone carriers would start having Sennheiser BT headsets instead of no-brands and if large electronics shops would start carrying audiophile headphones, that would surely make more people happy.

In fact, this is a large thing because prices might be much more stable if audiophile brands and sound quality would be exposed to a larger public.

Jul 12, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #207 of 461
Hehe. I pointed out your illogical words, and you try to assault me. That only more clearly tells us what kind of a person you are!

I do not have any interest to discuss with you any more. You stand on the ship of the manufactures, and I stand on the ship of customer. There is always tension between manufactures and customer. I have said in previous posts. We have no base to discuss since we hold different perspectives.

Assault you? Really? I disagree with you and I've provided reasons as to why; that doesn't mean that we can't have a discussion or that I "stand on ship of the manufactures" (whatever that even means). You seem to be unequivocally insistent that your points are unquestionably true, and that your premises for "why this is a huge problem" are unquestionably true, so I guess you are right - there *is* nothing to discuss because you seem unwilling to accept or consider alternate points of view. And like I've said, I really do "get" the complaint that "MY GOSH ITS ALL GETTING SO EXPENSIVE THEY'RE COME TO RIP US OFF" but also like I said, there's not a good base of evidence (and if you really do disagree, can you please show your evidence to support this assertion - you've thrown out a few hasty generalizations and opinions and then gone "NOPE, HERE ARE FACTS, AND ANY WHO DISAGREE ARE JUST WRONG BECAUSE THEY ARE ANTI-CONSUMER" - that isn't really a cohesive argument).

I'm gonna ignore most of that long ramble because I don't understand why you are being so hostile or what point you are trying to make. Basically, TL;DR but did skim it. Please do not put words that I never said into quotes.

1) I'm not being "so hostile." I'm disagreeing with you, and providing reasons as to why. That is not hostility. Holding an opinion is not defense for said opinion, and someone disagreeing with your opinion is not an attack on you as a person. I have no quarrel with you as a person, and haven't made any attacks as such.

2) I did not doctor anything I quoted. I did not "add anything" at any point (feel free to go compare). There is no "fake news" to be found here. I removed one clause, "in many cases sound quality has improved significantly." because I didn't have anything to say about it one way or another.

3) I think we could do without the disrespect of calling someone's view that we disagree with "a ramble."

I shared a historical perspective because not a lot of folks who are into headphones now were not around the scene in 1999.

And I have no axe to grind with that - if we don't know where we came from, we can't see where we're going, and I certainly do support having the history better documented.

My only comment on your invective is to correct the factually inaccurate attack on me.

It is not "an attack" nor is it "factually inaccurate" - again I disagreed with you, that isn't an "attack" upon you; I didn't walk into your living room and kick your dog and set your rug on fire.

I specifically commented about Grado and Sennheiser, but you removed that inconvenient detail from your reply.

I quoted your post as it was written (both above, and here), and responded to it as such. It has been broken apart (both above, and here) for my own formatting choices. I know I write a lot, and the quote boxes make visual separation of said writing.

As I said, Grado and Sennheiser were two of the most talked about headphone companies in 1999.

I could say "based on what" (yes this is a rhetorical trick - you threw a superlative out, so now you could be on the hook to back it up with facts) but we'll go ahead and accept that yes, they were (and still are) very popular, however that doesn't mean they were shipping the apex predator headphones in 1999. Like I said, the players have changed over time, so using them as a straight-across comparison is not entirely fair either to history or present day. What I mean is, while Sennheiser and Grado currently do produce some of the most expensive and "flagshipy" cans on the market, they haven't always held that position. I'm not disputing that HD 600 and RS-1 are good headphones - they're excellent headphones. But they were never into the status/positioning level of something more akin to the LCD-4 of today. There were more superlative models available in the 1990s. So why does this matter? Because if we go "well, the Sennheiser and Grado offerings are the ultra flagships of yesteryear and they were both under $1k in 1999, and now ultra flagships are over $2k" it supports the "everything is runaway pricing its got to stop!!" but (I'll borrow your word here) factually speaking, that isn't true. Make sense?

The RS-1/RS-2 were Grado's ToTL in 1999. They made no headphones that cost more or were considered better. Dynamic or otherwise.

RS-2 have never been ToTL/top of the model range/etc and lets just leave that alone.

RS-1 came out in 1996, and was the beginning of the Grado woodies. Prior to that, they had made the HP-1000 (which cost more and still are considered better, at least by most) - while the HP1000 were discontinued sometime between 1993 and 1996, this is an example of "the next generation is not runaway pricing" in action. The PS-1 (which also cost a lot more, and still are widely considered better) came out sometime in the late 1990s or early 2000s (and if they post-date 1999 then so be it - at absolute most the RS-1 were "top dogs" for a few years in the mid to late 1990s, replacing a more expensive/higher end model and then ultimately being replaced by a more expensive/higher end model as such, and in both cases those more expensive models had lower production numbers, likely driving part of their higher prices).

But were the RS-1 ever regarded as among the top headphones to purchase, even in the mid to late 1990s? I would contend they were not - they weren't "LCD-4 status" so its not a fair comparison to say "this is what ToTL looked like back then." The RS-1 are also still for sale today, with various improvements, at a similar price point (so they've gone down in price, inflation adjusted).

Sure, you can nitpick at this go "well but from 1996 to whenever the PS-1 came out the RS-1 *were* their top dog" but I'm still going to come back to "but was that really considered top dog for headphones at that time? or just a high end offering?" I honestly can't remember any period in history where the RS-1 has ever been heralded as "flagship" or "ultra flagship" (or whatever other superlative) level cans. Not at all saying they aren't high end, and I hope my point here is apparent.

I'm pretty sure you're dead-on right that Grado has never made non-dynamic cans, and my comment to that effect (if it wasn't clear) was more about Sennheiser.

Likewise, the HD-600 was Sennheiser's ToTL headphone in 1999. The Orpheus came out in 1991 and only 300 units were made. I doubt there were more than a handful available new anywhere in USA by 1999. If there were better Sennheiser phones available new in 1999,

From what I've read the HE90 (like other stupid expensive offerings) were available for sale for quite a while, and I've heard anecdotally of this continuing into the early 2000s. But you are right - there aren't a ton of pairs out there, so maybe that's not a "fair" comparison. But there's still HE60 and the Jubilee as "more expensive and higher end." The HD 600 were a cost-down of the Jubilee, which themselves were (afaik) again never regarded as "ultra flagship" status.

To cite evidence for these claims for both the Grado and Sennheiser offerings, I'll use Stereophile as a source, going back to their reviews of high end cans (yes they really did this, well before InnerFidelity, and in a much more piecemeal manner) - the HD 580/600 and Grado RS-1 were never maligned, but they weren't held up as "the best of the best" like Orpheus, ESP/950, STAX LNS, etc.

And all of this is absolutely into the "forest for the trees" beyond that - my point is, and has been, that modern pricing is not some sort of runaway train of "massive increasing prices that's got to stop" - $1k+ has been here, it isn't anything new, and when you bring inflation into it, things are really looking better than ever for the headphone audiophile. I don't see this as an anti-consumer viewpoint either (and I know you didn't say "you are anti-consumer" - I'm allowed to reply to more than one statement at a time).

I don't recall them being discussed on the American headphone websites of the day.

And this is also something I pointed out, which maybe got lost in skimming - exposure and visibility for ultra high end products is a lot higher today than it was ten, twenty, or thirty years ago simply because of the Internet. And that changes perception. I'm reminded of a GoodCans review about the Sony MDR-F1, where the author points out that the F1 were the most expensive pair of cans on offer at his local shop, and concludes that a consumer might reasonably assume that as a result, the F1 are among the best cans on offer anywhere. Of course that isn't true, but without some other source of information (e.g. like the Internet) how would a consumer ever know about the MDR-Q010 or SA5000? Or non-Sony higher-end offerings? And like I said, the more superlatively priced gear tends to get more page hits/interest I think more from the "it costs HOW much?" angle than the "yes, there is a huge market for a $4000 pair of headphones" angle.

I'll also go back to my original (and primary) point of contention with your post: you made the claim that prices have "runaway greater than inflation." And I asked you for evidence of that. Instead, you labeled my reply as a hostile attack and said it was venomous and maleficent, and wanted to talk history. I have no issues talking history, but I fail to see how *any* of this furthers your claim about "runaway greater than inflation" pricing. Even the two examples you cited don't support that (and I'm using your numbers as examples), as both of those models are still in production today, with improved variants (RS-1e and HD 650, respectively) on offer at lower absolute (and inflation adjusted) prices. So not only have things gotten cheaper there, but there hasn't been this new and unexpected release of "very expensive ultra flagship" models - they existed before, but came from different places (and then there's Orpheus...).

I don't honestly see where the disconnect is at this point - sure, there are very expensive headphones available for sale today, but none of them have really eclipsed pricing of very expensive headphones available for sale ten or twenty years ago, and while performance debatably has improved (why do I say debatably? because measured performance and subjective listening satisfaction aren't, at least as of yet, directly correlated), and many of the high end options on offer of yester-year are still shipping today at lower absolute and inflation adjusted price points, in many cases with production improvements added. I feel like we can be in agreement on this point, so where is this huge conflict that needs to be put to an end? And again I'll ask how is this somehow "anti-consumer" to argue?

Now you can go back to tilting at windmills...

I hope you (and yangian) have a nice and blessed day as well. :boy:

Jul 12, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #208 of 461
Assault you? Really? I disagree with you and I've provided reasons as to why; that doesn't mean that we can't have a discussion or that I "stand on ship of the manufactures" (whatever that even means). You seem to be unequivocally insistent that your points are unquestionably true, and that your premises for "why this is a huge problem" are unquestionably true, so I guess you are right - there *is* nothing to discuss because you seem unwilling to accept or consider alternate points of view. And like I've said, I really do "get" the complaint that "MY GOSH ITS ALL GETTING SO EXPENSIVE THEY'RE COME TO RIP US OFF" but also like I said, there's not a good base of evidence (and if you really do disagree, can you please show your evidence to support this assertion - you've thrown out a few hasty generalizations and opinions and then gone "NOPE, HERE ARE FACTS, AND ANY WHO DISAGREE ARE JUST WRONG BECAUSE THEY ARE ANTI-CONSUMER" - that isn't really a cohesive argument)

I hope you (and yangian) have a nice and blessed day as well. :boy:

First, thank you very much for your blessing!
Second, thank you very much for your serious reply. I can see your sincerity. Appreciation!
Well, fair enough. I can appreciate you reply. Actually we may have some misunderstanding. After our previous conversation the day before yesterday, I discussed with other people who share similar point as you and I think we can understand each other. English is not my native language. Sometimes I cannot very clearly express my ideas or have no desire to put too much time to express it.
All in all, I can take your views. You are definitely reasonable. However, Something is definitely wrong with the Hifi industry, at least for some companies, as not a few people discussed here, including me.
I want to repeat again. I appreciate your views (but maybe not since I havn't read through all. It's too long :)). That's why in the last reply, I emphasized we see from different perspectives. SO something you think it's normal, but I think there is something wrong. For examples, huge discount all the year round. You told me other areas have similar case. But this is not a satisfied answer to me. It cannot justify such phenomenon is normal. I just make an example from our discussion. So I don't think we can have effective conversion since we see problems from different perspectives.
Thank you for such conversations. BTW, I learn sth. about economy from you, which I have no any background. Thank you! :)

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #209 of 461
Ya know...it IS possible that the manufacturers are doing both -- providing higher value at the low to mid-end and sticking it to those who aren't price-sensitive on the high-end...simple market segmentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back