It's Done! Power Cord Shoot-Out-- 22 Power Cords Reviewed!
Aug 17, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #61 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, trose49, right now I've got too many irons in the fire review-wise, and on power cables I'm more likely to focus more at the high-end from here on out. Thanks for the offer, though. Cheers.

It looks pretty BEEFY!

Aug 18, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #62 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks pretty BEEFY!

A picture might help...
icon10.gif

Aug 18, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #63 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... focus more at the high-end from here on out.

Hello Markl,

I wanted to thank you for your work here on various power cords. I have learned a lot from reading your recommendations and other research I have done on the web. This past year I started down the power cord/interconnect upgrade path and discovered a local company (DFW Texas) that builds exceptional cables for high end users. I am not affiliated in any way with them and everything I own, I have either bought or traded, for but the owner has become a good friend and has actually let me beta test several of their newest products. Anyway, since you mentioned that you might have an interest in high end stuff you might want to check out their various offerings? They are remarkable! Locus-design.com and cryo-parts.com.
Thanks again for all your help.

Aug 21, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #64 of 204
great job on the review! Any thoughts on Signal Cable power cords anyone?

Aug 21, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #65 of 204
Well, I'm buying a bunch of signal cable PC's for my system soon. The standard copper unshielded for my power conditioner and amp and the copper shielded cord for my source. Thought about trying the silver reference cable on my source, but it seems a little excessive.

I'd love to hear what Mark thinks of them though.
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #67 of 204
Hey markl,
Great review. What power cords are you using on your source and headphone amp these days?

Dec 10, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #68 of 204
Source: Virtual Dynamics Nite 3.0

Amp: Wolff Bohica

These may be changing soon.

Dec 10, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #69 of 204
VD cables are a nightmare to manage; you are warned.

Dec 10, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #70 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
VD cables are a nightmare to manage; you are warned.

If PC really change the sound for better, I will live with "nightmare to manage". :xf_cool:

I have in order 2 master 3.0 and one nice 3.0.

Dec 11, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #71 of 204
I was actually looking for buzz/hum related topic when I came across a post saying "power-cord solved my tube amp buzz" http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3315555-post297.html

So then...I just purchased 2 'Basic Power' since I am only running a simple entry level setup and ...Virtual Dynamics is having a sale
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the sound I am hearing at my current setup with the free stock Power-Cord hopefully the tone/feel of the sound won't change too much by upgrading Power-cord. (except the buzz/hum from the NOS tube)

and of course.. thank you for the review!

Dec 12, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #72 of 204
Not to be a stick in the mud, but with all the effort in getting access to these high-end cords, couldn't you also have gotten access to actual testing/measurement equipment...? Would love to see some real performance data.

Dec 12, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #73 of 204
I will guarantee you that all cables measure the same with the type of equipments someone 'normal' can get their hands on. We are not talking about R&D department with millions in budget and several PhD designing the proper testing procedures/environment.

Dec 12, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #74 of 204
You'd think a high-end equipment manufacturer wouldn't consider any of these factors when including a power cord.

Without an actual repeatable standardized measurement, how can you accurately judge something? Any variation is just a matter of opinion without it.

All in all, there is a far greater chance of compromise with the long path of wiring from the generating plant, through the switching stations, step up-down transformers, house wiring, and even outlet contact pressure, versus a properly rated 6' power cord. Even less if it is permanently attached.

If there is a perceptible difference with any power cord, something is seriously wrong.

Dec 25, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #75 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by D_Tinnitus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any variation is just a matter of opinion without it.

therein lies the rub..... it IS all a matter of opinion.

Whether these variations/opinions are/can be substantiated by "scientific" measurements is unimportant. Why? Because some people can hear the variation (or believe they can) and it is for these that this thread exists...

Some hear the differences, others don't. All i can say is that those who can't, are the lucky ones.... they just saved themselves a wad of cash and time.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways just my 2 cents worth, no harm/antagonism intended....

we're going off track...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back