It's Alive! Pico vs. Predator vs. Diablo vs. Xin Reference! South Florida Throw-down!
Oct 31, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #182 of 242
YOW! I broke more bones downhilling than anything else
very_evil_smiley.gif

I did Rocky Point a few times, although I liked the Greenbelt better. For me the lower section and the wooden timbers were the best.

Most of my time was spent in Forest Park, Queens.

Now, I have $5k worth of aircraft aluminum and titanium in the garage!

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rocky Point, Cathedral Pines or the Greenbelt.

At Rocky Point, there's still a tree with part of my wife's (BrownieLady) helmet stuck to it, when she did a "superman" and tree met Bell Snell 85 approved!

Oct 31, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #183 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFlaChris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are very observant, young Grasshopper.

First, the background noise. Unremarkable on both units. While I did not remove the sources, I did pause the music on both. There was no hiss or any noticeable artifact. Regretfully, I wish that I pulled the sources and turned up the amps into the IEMs, so that I can definitively state whether or not there was any hiss.

Next, the gain switches. While, I did try them on both, I spent more time with the Predator, so I'll comment on that one. There are 3 settings; 1, 4, and 11 (dB gain or attenuation, I assume). To the best of my recollection, the 4 sounded better, as I was allowed more flexibility in volume control and it was a tad warmer. The 1 was too "in my face" and 11 was a bit muted (provided that I was in the right mode... someone feel free to chime in). Anyway to answer your question, there was a very noticeable difference in the gain settings.

If I were to choose which amp/DAC I'd use with my IEMs, the choice would be the Predator, vis-a-vis the Pico. It was warmer and fuller.

If it was an amp only, I really liked the LaRocco Diablo.

Later Al...

Perfect! Thanks Chris.

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #184 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perfect! Thanks Chris.

Anytime, anytime, Mr. Al.
cool.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #185 of 242
It seems the consensus has the Pico as "more refined" and the Predator as more "in your face". Without agreeing/disagreeing I must say it sounds similar to the way some would describe southerners versus northerners. No wonder the new guy transplanted to the south from NY prefers the Predator!
tongue.gif

But seriously, I struggle with understanding how these comparisons do not shed a more favorable light on the Pico since a "refined" sound is generally more high fidelity, detailed and tonally favorable. We have also heard the comparison of the predator amp to the Hornet "M". What would you say is the analogue comparison to the Pico? The Lisa III perhaps?

david

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #186 of 242
For the lack of a better analogy, I guess that the quality of the sound is in the ears of the beholder. Or, is it just preference? Dunno.

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #187 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I
But seriously, I struggle with understanding how these comparisons do not shed a more favorable light on the Pico since a "refined" sound is generally more high fidelity, detailed and tonally favorable. We have also heard the comparison of the predator amp to the Hornet "M". What would you say is the analogue comparison to the Pico? The Lisa III perhaps?
david

Not sure what you were looking for but I think 4 or 5 people preferred the Pico with one preferring the predator. The comments were meant to fair and balanced I think we all stated that both were good amps that we all could live with and enjoy but prefered the one over the other.

I would say that the amp section reminds me of the AE2 which I like but I think it might sound better than the AE2. I am not sure that I would say it share the Lisa signature I have only heard that amp with PS1s.

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #188 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I want to welcome the new guys (no names until your second meet as we don't want to get too attached only to find out we scared you off ).

Just for the record, I am not easily scared, and there is no way in hell I am going to miss CanJam '08 in May. It is not common to find such a dedicated and well rounded group for anything, but I am happy to say I found them during this meet. I am certainly still a newby lacking the words to properly express my impressions, but I think some of the old skin is starting to peel off and I am getting better at expressing my findings.

Thanks for taking me to the next level, and thanks to dedicated folks like Justin and Ray for doing the essential, providing us with great gear to enjoy our music!

Cheers,
Markus

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #189 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure what you were looking for but I think 4 or 5 people preferred the Pico with one preferring the predator. The comments were meant to fair and balanced I think we all stated that both were good amps that we all could live with and enjoy but prefered the one over the other.

Yeah, I got that much reading the thread. I will hear for myself next Saturday in NY. I now expect Ray's Predator to unabashedly announce it will amplify my music and Justin's Pico to smile and coax me into listening more closely with a come-hither look. This is all great as I will learn more about what I like. I am already a B-52 owner so I have clearly loved what Ray has done with tubes but I would not call the B-52 texture to be "in your face" but instead emotional and warm with great tonal detail. I will have to see if my judgment on Ray's sound signature matches others who are much more experienced in this hobby. I can see why meets are such an important experience for learning and fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say that the amp section reminds me of the AE2 which I like but I think it might sound better than the AE2. I am not sure that I would say it share the Lisa signature I have only heard that amp with PS1s.

Thanks, that is helpful. This has been an interesting thread. It feels like I was tipping a few back with you all. Cheers!

david

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #191 of 242
MadMonky, have I talked to you before? It seems not but there was a guy at the last Tampa meet who I haven't seen post since. Actually now I'm sure that it wasn't you, and I haven't talked to you. Anyway, cool that you're in town. If you're interested I may try and get a mini-meet together with a few locals again.

Oct 31, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #193 of 242
Quote:

At Rocky Point, there's still a tree with part of my wife's (BrownieLady) helmet stuck to it, when she did a "superman" and tree met Bell Snell 85 approved!

That explains why she married you! Thanks, I've been wondering about that Aaron...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #194 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That explains why she married you! Thanks, I've been wondering about that Aaron...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Now, why didn't you tell me that at the meet? Everyone kept calling your name but they were false alarms!
frown.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #195 of 242
Quote:

Now, why didn't you tell me that at the meet? Everyone kept calling your name but they were false alarms!
frown.gif

Your hearing must be going. I heard no calling, but cursing was clearly audible.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back