It's Alive! Pico vs. Predator vs. Diablo vs. Xin Reference! South Florida Throw-down!
Nov 4, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #228 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep....with the 2 X 3-pin XLR configuration you loose that....unless the cable is made with shielding going down each side of the split.

And you're still only using 2 of the 3 pins?

How do you choose which 2 to use?

Nov 4, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #229 of 242
Like MacGyver. He asks you at the last minute whether to cut the red wire or the blue.

Nov 4, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #230 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like MacGyver. He asks you at the last minute whether to cut the red wire or the blue.

That's easy, cut the red, no no, cut the blue, no, cut the red, no the blue.............
lambda.gif

Nov 5, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #231 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And you're still only using 2 of the 3 pins?

How do you choose which 2 to use?

There's an industry standard to this, pin 1 is not used.

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #235 of 242
They are absolutely brilliant, I really like them and think they open up the sound stage and extend both the bottom and the top. Some of what I am hearing is the balancing of the signal coming out of the wavelength by the transformers in the HD2 probably but we liked what we heard with Thrice's Beta and his source after he wired them up for me. I would take the plunge again in a heartbeat.
Look for more opinions after the NorCal SOTA meet on the 17th both the HP2s and the Eddie Current revised after the San Jose meet will be making their Norcal debut there
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any more impressions about JP's balanced HP-2 ? I'm really curious as hell.

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #236 of 242
honestly, has a headphone ever not improved by being balanced. from my experience, it seems that *every* headphone will benefit and improve in balanced operation.

Nov 8, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #237 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
honestly, has a headphone ever not improved by being balanced. from my experience, it seems that *every* headphone will benefit and improve in balanced operation.

I have been told by a few folks that balancing E9s could weaken the bass and one pair ended up with shrieking highs. It was enough to spook me a bit away from it.

Nov 8, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #238 of 242
Quote:

This probably has more to do with the DAC1 inability do drive the 340's then my 340's themselves..But I only noticed a minor improvement when I balanced them..

Nov 8, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #239 of 242
Quote:

good point but I'd ask you to consider that different headphones react/improve/change when balanced in different ways. The change in the Grados was akin to what I heard when Tyl demoed his balanced desktop (standard modules) against the Max Desktop (single ended). The balanced desktop was better in every way to the maxed moduled desktop amp single ended with Senn 650s. Needless to say we were shocked, it was at a Florida meet probably about a year ago or so.
Prior to getting the grados balanced I spoke with an amp builder friend of mine to do the a re-cable on my ALO/Jenna cabled 701s. After talkeda bit he suggested balancing the grados as they have great upside from balancing them than the 701s. While I do not have first hand experience in this as I did not get the 701s balanced after hearing the grados.

Nov 8, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #240 of 242
i could see someone preferring a headphone SE over Bal because they really love the sound of a particular SE amp - say a ZD, or 300SEI, or WA5 - but on the same amp i find it quite unlikely that someone will prefer SE over Bal for the majority of their CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back