It's Alive! Pico vs. Predator vs. Diablo vs. Xin Reference! South Florida Throw-down!
Oct 29, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #121 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great pics, looks like it was a fantastic meet. And I'm glad that you guys go to enjoy the Hertsens. Of course, according to Vicki I'm not real so I don't know whose DAC that is and who's writing this post.
biggrin.gif

I think I saw some pics of various midnight dialing episodes, one of which demonstrates someone named nmahler has a telephone number, but since he couldn't be heard and has yet to be seen, he doesn't exist until proven otherwise. The dac remains a mysterious meet gift from a ghost with serious skills.

So I logged in with the idea to post more impressions, but after two nights of almost no sleep, and coming from meet crazines to a work scene wilder than any I've encountered in my eight years there (and for those who know where I work, that's saying something), I'm going to wait until tomorrow for some sanity to return.

Thanks Marcus and Juan for the photos. I was too lazy to get more than a few. Glad you guys were on it!

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #122 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I saw some pics of various midnight dialing episodes, one of which demonstrates someone named nmahler has a telephone number, but since he couldn't be heard and has yet to be seen, he doesn't exist until proven otherwise. The dac remains a mysterious meet gift from a ghost with serious skills.

Ohhh, I get it now. See here's the thing "nmalher" doesn't exist, nmaher other the other hand does.
wink.gif
icon10.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #123 of 242
Hey there... "Tattooed Guy" here. I just wanted to say "thank you" for being so accommodating and welcoming to a new guy. You all made me feel right at home.

I now have a better appreciation for the offerings that exist out there, and I'm better equipped to make informed decisions on my next purchase. The ability to hear so many different devices is incredible. Thanks to all of you who were so generous to display such expensive items, and allow a stranger to touch them.

Cheers to a great group. See you at the CanJam.

Chris

ps: When I feel that I can "comfortably" write a comprehensive review on some of the devices I heard, I'll do so. I don't speak "Audiophilian" just yet, but I now thoroughly understand what my reference is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #124 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ohhh, I get it now. See here's the thing "nmalher" doesn't exist, nmaher other the other hand does.
wink.gif
icon10.gif

Ooooops. Sorry, Nate. At least the dac exists. I knew I was right not to post more last night.

Okay, stray thoughts at this point:

Did anyone get a pic of flecom's DIY rig? That wins as the most fun rig, simply because it looks like such a mess (PS3>Berhinger with zap filter>Dynamight, all open and ugly and a computer monitor sitting on top), until you listen to it. Really nice. I still prefer the K1000s from my F1, but I wish I'd spent more time with it with other cans.

Ray's Meridian/B52/Balanced R10s: Nice. Agile_one noticed the new tubes, but I don't remember what they were. I wanted to hear the balanced R10s, and was hoping for a noticeable jump in performance over my single-ended rig (Exemplar Denon 2900/Extreme Platinum/R10). I didn't get one, but within 15 seconds, I forgot to listen critically, and was just enjoying the music. Hopefully, at a future meet, I'd make the choice to listen and compared balanced vs. single ended early on and with intent.

The Apache: Hadn't heard this amp before. It didn't do much for me, but I also didn't listen for more than a couple minutes.

HE90s/Aristeaus: Sad to say that I didn't listen at all. What a shame as I both know and really like this setup. I was trying to get around to all that was new, and before I knew it, the meet was over.
frown.gif

Notable disappointments:

Edition 9s: If you like bass, these headphones may interest you. Enough said.

TakeT H2: So much to almost like. Again, if you want bass, here you go. The sound was thick and heavy to me, but with surprisingly wonderful detail and nice highs. The mids were off tonally for me. I listened with Gene's Accuphase rig to two CDs I know well, and one of which was of from an artist I knew personally. His voice does not sound as it did. I also listened with my Exemplar Denon and F1. Though some prefered one or the other setup, I couldn't hear a difference, but I didn't spend too much time either. If some folks work out the amp/transformer needs of these, as some are trying to do, I'd be really interested in checking these out again. They are definitely worth a second chance.

DT880 (balanced): I keep trying to like these, but damn those highs are brutal. Ouch.

The Xin line: as noted earlier. These are good, but I'd take the AE2 (as far as available at all or available without drama amps go) over any. SQ alone, the PRII, the Diablo, the SR-71, and AE2 are simply better amps if you're looking for more accurate tone, neutrality (though the Diablo is a bit bright), and refinement. With the advent of the amp/dacs, I'd choose the Pico over any Xin and have that flexibility of a dac added in with better sound all around. The Xins seem to be really high quality mini power pushers, but I walked away from this meet not understanding the ravs after doing comparisons. Oh well.

My fav moment of the meet gear-wise was realizing that I was super happy with my own stuff, and having everything all set-up together (I don't have most set up at home), I got a chance to play with it all. I kept thinking as I was switching things around, listening to this and that, that if I didn't own this stuff already, I'd sure as hell be buying it. I want to tweak things a little (recable K1000s, reterminate K340s, get the new mods to the Exemplar, etc), and start exploring computer as transport/dac options, but for now, that's it. Listening to everyone else's gear was wonderful, but I've already chosen what pleases me best. Now, if I bump into a stray $20,000 or so, I'll be singing a slightly different tune
biggrin.gif

Fav headphones are still R10s. K1000s close second. It had to be said.

Oct 29, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #125 of 242
Wow Nice pics and impressions!! Dang the Pico is small, considering it has a high-end DAC inside. cool

Can someone explain this rig?

Samsung transport (modded perhaps?)
Behringer ultracurve DEQ (modded perhaps?)

Does the DEQ serve as both a DAC and digital EQ? I didn't know it could do that... I always thought it needs a DAC after it to feed the amp..????

thanks in advance!
n640665182_1543100_8568.jpg

n640665182_1543104_9445.jpg

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #128 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who are the 2 gents in this pic?... thanks in advance
icon10.gif
curious, trying to associate faces with screen-names
tongue.gif

n640665182_1543184_7590.jpg

jp11801 and thrice.

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #129 of 242
The rig in question is the one I mentioned belonging to Flecom, and he would be best able to answer your questions. He'd added some things to the set up by the time I'd gotten to that side of the room.

Re other pic: jp11801 is on the left and Thrice is on the right.

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #131 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In case you are interested, agile_one is the one taking a leak in the corner in the back of the pic.
biggrin.gif

Remembering leak shots from Tampa, I thought New Guy missed the meet, but made it to the Samples show. Am I wrong?

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #133 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
n640665182_1543184_7590.jpg

In case you are interested, agile_one is the one taking a leak in the corner in the back of the pic.
biggrin.gif

LOL

Actually after the hijinks in your man cave this weekend, I think we should rename ourselves slap and tickle.
blink.gif
blink.gif
wink.gif

I'm slap.

Oct 29, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #134 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL

Actually after the hijinks in your man cave this weekend, I think we should rename ourselves slap and tickle.
blink.gif
blink.gif
wink.gif

I'm slap.

What happens in the man cave, stays in the man cave.

Vicki, I will try to post a pic with newguy later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back