It's Alive! Pico vs. Predator vs. Diablo vs. Xin Reference! South Florida Throw-down!
Oct 30, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #136 of 242
Well, my first official post in the impressions thread. The opening post which was under my name wasn't really mine, I was already too tired to compose anything of value. Not that what showed up was valuable, but still better than what I could do at that point. And then I went back to Tampa....

So, it's been a good weekend. There are further updates on the one who has now been dubbed The Most Random Person in the Universe. It started rather innocently yesterday with an uneventful ride home from Miami to Tampa with the Atom in tow. This morning we were somewhat planning on getting up early after only a few hours of sleep and taking the car up to the hills of Central Florida, around Dade City and Brooksville. I slept through the alarm though and caught something more like 6 hours of sleep which was also good. After a bit of listening time with Wayne's 600 ohm custom DT990's and his old DT880's on my rig we got our butts in motion and took the car out a little closer to home. It was a great ride with some high speed moments, nice views, and a little bit of rain that actually felt good. All was right with the world when I bid Wayne goodbye at the airport, around 3:30 PM.

As I drove away from the airport, I realized that I did not have my phone. I had a nagging feeling that something could and probably would go wrong and I'd be out of contact. Nevermind that, I got some food, proceeded to hang out with a friend who was around when I got home, and eventually realized that it's my sister's birthday and I owed her a call. Found my phone, and yay, 4 new messages from Wayne and even his henchman Aaron (capable of making international calls so he had been called in as a possible liason). It seems that Mr Random mixed up his flight time from the correct 3:50 PM to the very incorrect 4:50 PM. Ok, so when I finally get ahold of him he's rented a car, with plans to drive to Miami and catch a flight from there in the morning. We bid our goodbyes and all is again well with the world........

Next call: "If I were to perhaps maybe want to take my Atom out for another ride tonight, how would I get there?"

Ok, it's cool, I understand. I give him directions which he in turn doesn't follow and instead goes to find John Travolta in Scientology land AKA Clearwater. He didn't manage to do that so he showed back up here and proceeded to call me many hurtful names for refusing to go back out in that wonderful fun car with him. If I didn't have to get up at 4 AM and work tomorrow I'd be all for another trip, but that's just not possible. I called him a few choice names back and he eventually got the point that I wasn't in. It's not that he's worn out his welcome, he can stay here for another month for all I care. I just can't come out and play anymore
frown.gif
. Anyway a friend of mine is going out with him now to get him around town safely, actually I just heard them pull out. Good luck to thee Sir Random, and I'll see you next time. Now I must sleep.

Oct 30, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #137 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL

Actually after the hijinks in your man cave this weekend, I think we should rename ourselves slap and tickle.
blink.gif
blink.gif
wink.gif

I don't want to know these things.
eek.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #138 of 242
Mike, Mike, Mike. What can I say? You are the hostest with the mostest.

This man opened his house, cupboards, master bedroom bathroom, snakepit, 2 livingrooms, 4 couches (some long and some short), 2 cars (I think they were a Silver Taurus and a Golf) and washer/dryer to us. Even though he's the annoying kid we would have beat up in high school (yeah, I know you know karate)...I have never seen a host more willing to go out of his way for his guests and meet attendees. He averaged 4 pick-ups and drop-offs a day from the airport, and ran out to Publix, the minute anyone needed anything (except Crazy Glue
tongue.gif
). He even sacrificed some "us" time to try and repair his air conditioner so Ray wouldn't melt away to a 150 lb. snoring amp builder. He wore himself down to the bone and I would be surprised if he made it through today on anything more than caffeine and sheer will power.
I could go on, but just be sure to know, that he is the right man to co-host the 2008 meet. Of course we will have to visit him in Ravenswood for a couple of weeks afterwards, but I'm sure he'll eventually recover.

Now, for the new guys (besides "new guy" who himself is a wonderful host and friend that would do almost anything for anyone).

-SoFlaChris. It was a pleasure to meet another fine gentleman from New Yawk who understands the pain and suffering of the Belt Parkway in Brooklyn.

-polvodediamante. We had now idea how to pronounce your username, so you should know that we all called you "PolyVinyl" throughout most of the meet. It was fun to share beers and music with you.

-mfueger. Spelled Markus, not Marcus BTW. You are my new cool friend. It was a blast hanging out in the rain with you at Tavern 123 (or whatever the # was) watching Ray soak in some of that South Florida rain we hear so much of, and enjoying w/ Boomana, some of the best music of the weekend which was live latin acoustic guitar akin to "Friday Night in San Francisco" in the next door bar and checking out the ladies who were wearing outfits that should have been illegal walking down the strip.
One day, I would like a ride, or to ride, your car, and have you as the photographer at my next major event. You and your digi were one, the whole weekend. For the future, standard fare for Head-Fi picture viewing is 800 X 600. It fits on most people's screens and is a little 56K friendly.

-rivieraranch. It was nice meeting you and your little friend (no, I'm talking about his dog). Thanks for coming and help making the meet what it was.

-boomana. I can't believe it took us so long to finally meet in person. I could tell by your writings that we had a lot of things in common and that it would be easy to hangout with you. You have a great musical ear and an interesting take on life. You are truly "one of the gang" and well loved by all your group.

-Melinda. I missed her first meet, thanks to a Spirit Air plane malfunction. She is truly beautiful and thank goodness looks more like her mother than her father
evil_smiley.gif
. What a smiley face!

-Atom. You are fast and furious and form your own sort of music. Everyone stares at you out of lust, love or envy. The only upgrade I would consider would be some vibration (maybe 4 Vibrapods under the Carbon Fiber seats) control because the passenger needs lots of ibuprofen after meeting you for more than 30 minutes. You'd have a hard time negotiating the streets of NY so it's a good thing you live in Florida.

These are people meet impressions post which is boring to people who didn't attend the meet, so I will write a separate equipment thread.

The only thing that I will say (and this isn't fair because of the money involved) is that the best sounding rig, or better yet, the best I've ever heard the HE-90's sound, was Guss2's (Gary) rig which included a Sony SCD-1 2 channel SACD player into a HeadAmp Aristaeus electrostatic amp, a pair of Orpheus headphones linked together by a pair or Nordost’s Valkyrie IC's (one step under the Valhallas) and Steely Dan's "Gaucho". Babylon Sister never sounded so good.

Oct 30, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #139 of 242
Did anyone get a chance to listen to pico using IEM's?

I have it on preorder without the DAC. I will be using it with UM2's and/or Ety ER-4s.

Any comments greatly appreciated!

Looks like you all had a fun meet!

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #141 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the pic with newguy:

newguyatthecultureroom.jpg

This is hilarious guys
lambda.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #143 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
214085115-S.jpg

Voltron after listening to the Diablo.

Yeah, and you look like you're reenacting a scene from The Exorcist.
very_evil_smiley.gif

newguyatthecultureroom.jpg

Plus, you've got this googlie-red-eyed pic in here too. Talk about avatars...

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #144 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by ath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone get a chance to listen to pico using IEM's?

I have it on preorder without the DAC. I will be using it with UM2's and/or Ety ER-4s.

Any comments greatly appreciated!

Looks like you all had a fun meet!

I actually can't believe I did this again. I said I intended to do it a few times at the meet, especially given that I failed to do it at the San Jose meet.

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #148 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kunfu who?

My thoughts exactly. A mystery man. A spy? At Mike's house no less. Reveal yourself! And why are my R10s sitting on my K340 stand by the band that way?
eek.gif

Nice pics, though, from the lobby of the hotel. Good glimpse for anyone planning on attending CanJam '08 of where they will be.

Oct 30, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #150 of 242
Handsome and virile alright, but he's no gentleman!

If you look at any meet thread with agile_one in attendance, you will see him in deep listening mode in every one. The man knows how to enjoy music!
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back