It's Alive! Pico vs. Predator vs. Diablo vs. Xin Reference! South Florida Throw-down!
Oct 28, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #48 of 242
Oooh...impression please.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #49 of 242
Impressions...although, I suspect everybody is either out at the bars on a Saturday night (my crew is lame and didnt go out, alas, I am home on a Saturday night), or asleep from all the supper, lol.

I'm very anxious to hear the impressions....

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #50 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve, I'm almost positive that the player there is Vicki's Lector CD player. More info in her profile.

And I can say with a good deal of certainty that I don't think we'll be getting much out of the FLA crew tonight. Sounds like they're having a heck of time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, thanks Nate. I'm not very familiar with that CDP, I'll have to read up on it.

Yeah I bet they're having a great time!

Oct 28, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #52 of 242
we just got back left after the first, the band was pretty good but we are down for the count after a latenight lastnight, full impressions to be posted tomorrow am Quote:

Originally Posted by 909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a fair amount of the florida crew is listening to the samples at the culture room so impressions at least from those at the after party should post shortly...
cool.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #54 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who's Manley Steelhead is that?

Sorry Vincent, that is just a Manley SkipJack. Marcus, aka MFueger, uses this high-end switchbox to listen to multiple amps out of the same source. I've been thinking of buying one for a couple years and using it makes me want one even more. Very nice piece of kit.

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #55 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to sound like a Grinch, but shouldn't you have made the thread after you compared the portables? So impressions would follow quickly. I feel 'lead on'..

Sorry, but Florida meets are long and involved. I think this one will end sometime after breakfast.

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #56 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, but Florida meets are long and involved. I think this one will end sometime after breakfast.

Vickie,

Hope you guys had a great time.

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #58 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
we just got back left after the first, the band was pretty good but we are down for the count after a latenight lastnight, full impressions to be posted tomorrow am

Speak for yourself loser boy! Agile_one, boomana, polvodediamante and I are haning out in the boomana room and ready to impress upon anyone that will listen what we thought about the gear. We can't listen to Vicki's gear because it is all packed up but American Beauty is on cable and that will have to do.

So, the meet was very Floridian and therefore incredibly fun. We had good music, great gear and a race car. We all went out to dinner and we almost all went to see some live music as 909 indicates. A little boring for my tastes, but impressario Mike hears a jam band groove and all is right in the world. We had a great time and now we have to post some thoughts to the extent people are able...

The Pico and Predator are quite different animals. The Predator lives up to its name and hits you in the face with a lot of great sound, and is closest to the Hornet in my experience of the RSA amp line-up. It takes the iTunes output of a PC or a Mac and really turns it into music that any Head-Fier would be thrilled to get straight out of the computer. Still, the Pico was my personal preference because the sound had a little more body and finesse and presented a little less in your face. The Pico in its case is very small, very clean and really has a great finish in polished black. I can't wait to get mine. For now, the Predator is still on boards only but Ray always does great casework so that will be great to see. I think this choice will come down to personal preference like many (or most) things in this hobby of ours, and neither of these dacs/amps will disappoint.

I have also been amazed by the Xin Supermicro and Supermini amps because they are crazy small but do so much. An iPod Shuffle and Supermicro is the smallest portable setup The Xin Reference has been with me for a week and has a great sound. It doesn't make me want to replace my RSA SR-71 but out of the Xin lineup it has the most "audiophile" sound of the group. These are great solutions for portable gear and I hope Xin keeps making amps.

There are lots of other impressions floating around, but those will have to wait. Approaching 3am again and I haven't even checked out the UK thread. More to do before I sleep . . .

Oct 28, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #59 of 242
great time as always guys... will post some pics up probably monday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back