ITALY IS WORLD CHAMPION
Jul 10, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #61 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by KtoEto
Materazzi was just doing his job as it's supposed to be done (give hell to the opponent).
We'll see...

I think there is a clear difference in club football and playing for your national team in the world cup. And if we are to hold Zidane on that level, than most certainly Materazzi should also be held on that level.

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #62 of 93
Quote:

Well, in Italy it's a known fact that Materazzi is not the most ...ehm... "delicate" player on the field.
One of his nicknames is "Macellazzi" (macellaio=butcher).
But despite his reputation, I think He was playing a very good match (He scored a great goal).

Anyway, football is not a sport for delicate souls. Insults are very common. It's a way to make the opponent lose his concentration, make him nervous/angry. A nervous opponent is very likely to make mistakes. So there's no way that Zidane (a long time and very succesful football player) can justify his act by saying that Materazzi insulted him.
I think that the problem is with Zidane himself (his temper). Materazzi was just doing his job as it's supposed to be done (give hell to the opponent).
We'll see...

your job isn't to make multiple dives and make racist remarks. If you think that should be in football, then I feel sorry for you.

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #63 of 93
987p.jpg

[size=xx-large]Ole![/size]

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #65 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
your job isn't to make multiple dives and make racist remarks. If you think that should be in football, then I feel sorry for you.

I don't think that should be in football, it is in football.

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #66 of 93
So far there are three speculations on what Materazzi said:

1.) mentioning to Zidane how he used steroids when playing for Juventus (Italy A league Team) before

2.) calling Zidane a "terrorist" because of his Kabyle Algerian descent.

2.) calling Zidane's sister a whore. (this is what a Brazil source concludes after reading Materazzi's lips)

The bottom line is that whatever he said to Zidane, the quote itself will remain as the #1 quote of the year.

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #67 of 93
Quote:

I don't think that should be in football, it is in football.

"doing his job giving hell"

see, my idea of a footballer's job is to outplay the opposition, although I guess you could say he outplayed Zidane mentally, but I don't think that a footabller's job is to yell insults throughout the game.

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #68 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
So far there are three speculations on what Materazzi said:

1.) mentioning to Zidane how he used steroids when playing for Juventus (Italy A league Team) before

2.) calling Zidane a "terrorist" because of his Kabyle Algerian descent.

2.) calling Zidane's sister a whore. (this is what a Brazil source concludes after reading Materazzi's lips)

The bottom line is that whatever he said to Zidane, the quote itself will remain as the #1 quote of the year.

All wrong! He actually said:

"You bald son of a camel I spit on your mother's toenails"

Jul 10, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #69 of 93
or maybe he told zidane:

'Burn-in doesn't exist... You just wasted 300 hours leaving your amp on at home while you're here at the tournament...'

Jul 10, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #70 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
"doing his job giving hell"

see, my idea of a footballer's job is to outplay the opposition, although I guess you could say he outplayed Zidane mentally, but I don't think that a footabller's job is to yell insults throughout the game.

That's my idea too, but it's just an idea. I don't like violence and insults either. And I don't think Materazzi yelled insults all along the match, but sometimes players (defensive players in particular) have to face people who are technically far better players than they are, so they sometimes use dirty tricks to stop them and try not to get caught. Their coach, their team, their fans expects them to stop the opposing players, and sometimes, in the process, things get nasty. Football is an aggressive game.

Jul 10, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #72 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren
or maybe he told zidane:

'Burn-in doesn't exist... You just wasted 300 hours leaving your amp on at home while you're here at the tournament...'

LOL!

Jul 11, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #73 of 93
Jul 11, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #74 of 93
From wikipedia:

"According to these reports, Materazzi spoke in Italian - a language understood by Zidane due to his time spent with Juventus F.C. - and first told him: "Hold on, wait, that one's not for a ****** like you." As the players walked forward, Materazzi allegedly said: "We all know you are the son of a terrorist whore." Then, just before the headbutt, he was seen saying: "So just screw off."

According to another source by an italian language expert who did lip reading, Materazzi cursed Zidane and his family a horrible death before telling him to screw off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back