*******it...solder burns (literally)
Jun 16, 2008 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

cyberspyder

Caution! Incomplete trades.
My finger is still throbbing after 10 minutes on ice. Did a stupid thing today and play with a whole bunch of liquid solder...and unintentionally gave myself a burn on my fingertip. Nothing major, just a blister (I hope)...how fast does it go away?

Brendan

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 34
Sorry guy,

Aloe plant is very good for burns. I keep one around for this. For the next time...

Jun 16, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on severity. For something small, it'll be gone in a couple of days. Something larger, it will hurt like hell for about an hour, dry up and will not go away completely for about two weeks.

Uhhhg....tell me about it! I accidentally ended up with the metal end of a soldering iron in my hand, and realized it was still hot about 2 seconds later. I had red blisters and scarred skin on the heel of my palm, two fingers and thumb for a good week. Better than my boss though. He was working on splicing two ends of wire and flicked a bit of solder right on his eyelid.

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #6 of 34
A while ago I was soldering something, and wanted to double check something. While holding the iron with my right hand, in a moment of brilliance on my part, I grabbed the metal part of the iron with my left hand, and moved it out of the way.

It hurt like hell, but fortunately it didn't blister (I did have ultra wrinkly skin, sort of like a "popped" blister).

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #7 of 34
Sorry about that and I hope you feel better soon. Get it checked out if it doesn't heal up soon.

Also, are you wearing glasses or safety goggles when you solder? It's a good idea and you always should. A burn on the hand will heal, but a solder splash in the eye could be a lot worse.

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 34
Don't know about solder but my friend used to do a lot of welding and when went to hospital after turning his knee inside out playing sports had to go for an MRI scan.
they ask if you have metal under skin or eyes as it's a giant magnet in principle.......he said no then remembered the welds he had taken to eyes n face.!
says spent fifteen minutes in tube waiting for the metal to rip through his eyes lol
It never lol

Jun 18, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antishatter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I once picked up the wrong end of a soldering iron in my haste to chip an xbox. You only do that once.

I did the very same thing yday - didn't look and grabbed the metal
eek.gif

stupid thing was instead of dropping it I took the time to put it back
confused.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #15 of 34
I've gotten burned more than once in my lifetime by hot irons. More so when I was younger, I was soldering at age 5. Now I get burned more by my cars exhaust manifold(big ouch!). My car is old, waiting for the engine to cool before working on it is not always an option.

Anyway, I recommend using Aloe to take care of the burning till the pain goes away and then use Neosporin to aid in the healing and help prevent scaring. Works like a charm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back