Issues with Schiit Modi
Dec 17, 2016 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Makuta11

Head-Fier
Hello,

I usually don't need assistance with tech problems like this, but this one really has me stumped. I have been using the Schiit Modi DAC as part of my desktop setup for quite sometime now without issue. About 3 weeks ago, I turned my pc off, and when I booted it back up, it was unable to recognize my Modi. The pc tries to install the drivers, but it always fails, and the Modi is always listed as an "unknown device" in device manager.

When I try the Modi with any other device, it works fine, but it will not work in any USB port on my desktop. Other DACs, even USB-powered ones, work fine with the desktop. I have made sure the pc does not turn off power to usb ports at any time, and I have tried re-installing the USB drivers to no avail. I honestly do not know what is wrong here.

If anyone has any ideas of whay I can try, I would be greatly appreciative. I was about to replace this with a Bifrost, but now I fear it may be an issue with Schiit drivers and my pc somehow.

Thanks.

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 22
Maybe. That problem I had with printer. Solved with new cable. So, did you clean windows register (ccleaner)? Maybe something stayed during driver reinstallazion?

Dec 18, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 22
you haven't even said which OS you're using. did you check if other people have had your problem?

remember what updates or software you have installed at the time your problem occurred, and remove them to see if something changes.
or if you have one, restore you system to a previous point in time, if it's an OS/setting problem, then going back to when it worked should obviously solve the matter.

and if that doesn't work, one of the possibilities is simply that maybe the device is damaged.

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 22
Oh, sorry about that. Its Window 7, and there were no updates between uses. I did restore to a week before the issue started, but noting changed.

Its just strange because this is the only DAC that I am having an issue with, and only on this PC. On every other system (Windows 7 or 10) I have no issues with it. 

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 22
argh. if it's not something obvious, I'm afraid I don't know more than you do.
does it show up in your device manager with the yellow exclamation mark or there is nothing at all changing when you plug it in? if the all thing gets refreshed after you plug it in it's detecting something. if you have trouble identifying the device itself, just count the number of devices or make a screen shot for easier comparison. from there maybe you can find end up with some tutorial that would help(but if the restoration point was really before you had troubles, it's really strange).
then again it's USB, I have 4 slots on my laptop, 1 usb3 and 2 usb2. with that I get 3 different behaviors and some devices will bug in some but not others and there isn't any clear winner that does it all. of course I have no idea why. I solved some problems(not all) with a powered usb hub, but I can't tell you to buy one just for the "fun" of trying, without a clue if it will help. maybe you already have a hub in your monitor or your keyboard that you could try using?

sorry I couldn't be the clever guy with the answer.

Dec 19, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 22
  Oh, sorry about that. Its Window 7, and there were no updates between uses. I did restore to a week before the issue started, but noting changed.

Its just strange because this is the only DAC that I am having an issue with, and only on this PC. On every other system (Windows 7 or 10) I have no issues with it. 

1. Try 'rolling back' the driver in device manager. Windows often loads "improved" drivers as part of the updates.
2. Uninstall the DAC AND THE DRIVERS. Remove the DAC. Restart. Add the DAC, see what happens.
3. If it finds the DAC [even as an unidentified device], get the latest Schiit drivers, and install them.
4. After all of this is unsuccessful, we need to think long and hard---are there other sound card drivers installed? Are there other  audio devices? What has changed? are three any programs that interface with the sound devices? A lot of the 'what to do next' requires expert hands on support., unfortunately. 

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 22
How are you guys connecting the Schiit Modi to your Mac and getting it to work?

I haven't been able to use my Schiit Modi which I purchased over a year ago. This is absolutely ******** frustrating to say the least.

I am trying to connect my Schiit Modi to my MacBook Pro running El Captian v.10.11.6 using the Amazon basic USB 2.0 a-b 2m cable (which was recommended to me from Nick at Schiit) and the DAC does not show up.
I have tried other USB cables which I have purchased from Office Depot and still no luck.

I have also tried connecting the DAC to my 2016 MacBook Pro and my Mac Pro at work.
What..?!?!?!?! This Schiit has me ******* mad! Seriously. No pun intended. 
mad.gif

My 2016 MacBook Pro is running Sierra v.10.12.3 and I'm not sure what OS Version my Mac Pro at work is running. Which I'll check on Monday. I have the latest Mac Pro fully spec'd.

My Schiit Modi's power light turns on when I plug it in, but no devices show up in my Midi Audio Devices dialogue box.
Please help!

Feb 11, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #12 of 22
  I haven't been able to use my Schiit Modi which I purchased over a year ago. This is absolutely ******** frustrating to say the least.

Have you tried this unit on another Mac? Or a PC? What happens? Have you tried more than one USB cable?

You really should be working this through with Schiit at this point. I could never let something like this go on for over a year.

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #13 of 22

Have you tried this unit on another Mac? Or a PC? What happens? Have you tried more than one USB cable?

You really should be working this through with Schiit at this point. I could never let something like this go on for over a year.

I haven't tried connecting the Modi to my old HP laptops that's running Win7, but I guess it won't hurt at this point.
I have tried connecting my Modi to my 2015 MacBook Pro retina, my new 2016 MacBook pro which I just purchased 2 weeks ago, and my Mac Pro at work.
Along with the 3 Macs listed, I have tried 6 different USB 2.0 cables. 1 that came with the unit, 3 that I purchased from Office Depot, and 2 more that I purchased from Amazon which were recommended to me by Nick at Schiit.
I will contact Nick again and hopefully get some resolve.
If I can't get this thing to work in the next 2 weekst, I am going to smash this Schiit with a hammer and purchase a JDS Labs ol dac.

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #14 of 22
Why not just return it and get one that works? If you try some basic troubleshooting, which it sounds like you have done already, and it doesn't work, Schiit will replace it. Just call them and tell them you unit does work and needs to be replaced....or fixed at this point.

Feb 13, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #15 of 22
Try a powered hub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back