Issues with Schiit Modi
Feb 14, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #16 of 22
Try a powered hub?

I haven't tried that.
But.... I did hook up the Modi to my gaming pc along with the Vali and everything works just fine.
It took me all of less than 5mins to plug it in, download drivers and be up and running.
I don't understand why I can't get it to work on a Mac.

What steps are you guys doing to connect your Modi to your Mac?
Am I doing something wrong?
• plug in Modi into MacBook Pro USB slot
• open finder and goto to Audio Midi-Setup
• pray to the 4 winds, the moon, and whatever else in hopes of my Modi showing up as device I can select.

Here's a screen shot of my dialogue boxes with the Modi plugged and the power light on is on..!!
ARGHH..!! What..?!?!?

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #17 of 22
  I haven't tried that.
But.... I did hook up the Modi to my gaming pc along with the Vali and everything works just fine.
It took me all of less than 5mins to plug it in, download drivers and be up and running.
I don't understand why I can't get it to work on a Mac.

What steps are you guys doing to connect your Modi to your Mac?
Am I doing something wrong?
• plug in Modi into MacBook Pro USB slot
• open finder and goto to Audio Midi-Setup
• pray to the 4 winds, the moon, and whatever else in hopes of my Modi showing up as device I can select.

Here's a screen shot of my dialogue boxes with the Modi plugged and the power light on is on..!!
ARGHH..!! What..?!?!?

its not you -- appears to be a port management issue on your computer.  schiit refers to the issue on their web site: https://schiit.com/faq/dac-problems

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #18 of 22
Have you tried USB Deview? (link is at the bottom of that page)
You can remove all USB devices that have been installed to your machine whether they are plugged in or not. 

Aside from that try enabling hidden devices in the device manager and see if it's in there somewhere for you to uninstall. 
I have similar issues with android devices once in a while and these are the simple methods I use to fix them. Worth a shot

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #19 of 22
  Have you tried USB Deview? (link is at the bottom of that page)
You can remove all USB devices that have been installed to your machine whether they are plugged in or not.

The problem is happening on Mac-based systems........

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #21 of 22
I was replying to the OP who was on a Windows machine..

Oh, sorry about that. We haven't heard from the OP in a while and your excellent post (#10) was never responded to by the OP. I just figured we moved on to helping the poster with the Mac problems.

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #22 of 22

The problem is happening on Mac-based systems........

Conventional wisdom seems to be that USB DACs dont need drivers on Mac or Linux/*nix systems, and that has certainly been my experience with every Linux distro/USB DAC I've owned. About the only thing I can suggest seems to have been mentioned earier and that's removing the USB ports / controller in device manager and allowing Windows to reinstall them on bootup. This is a slightly more sophisticated approach using another tool.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1D120A90884C25AF862573A700602459

I've never used the Devcon tool mentioned above, but it seems Microsoft are actively maintaining it - cant hurt the OP to give it a shot.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/drivers/devtest/devcon

If Mac owners are having problems with the Modi, I would have expected a screen full of angst but I cant say I've seen that mentioned elsewhere - have you contacted them ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back