ISP Horror Stories or How Much You Hate Your ISP
Oct 15, 2011 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Gatepc

100+ Head-Fier
Alright so I've been getting very annoyed with Comcast and I'm sure others have stories as well. The following is an on going problem.

Lets start a few months back. For the last 6 months or so my internet would go out every night at around 11 o clock, which is of course strange that its at an exact time. They told me that it was the modem and that I needed a new one. They told me to go to the local Comcast building and just ask for another one. So I went their only to be told I was not allowed to directly pick up a modem and that a Comcast worker had to come out and give it to me (even after they told us we could on the phone that we could). So I scheduled for them to stop by the next day at 9am they did not show up until almost 12 making me miss important daily activities. They replaced the modem and the same night we still had the same problem. A few days later someone else came out and told me that it was the wiring and that everything from the pole to the house needed replaced. They told me that they did this but they did not, they literally left half the wiring for cable lines not connected to anything. So I had to do it myself after they left and they even charged me for it. This still did not fix the problem.

Now this is 6 months later still having the problem they told me that it was a problem with the pole and that water was building up and that since the temperature at night dropped it caused it to go out. So they told me that they would send someone out to look at it in a few days. No one ever should up. After about 2 weeks I called again and a few days later someone came out. They also came an hour late, they told us we needed a new modem again, and he did check the pole. So I got another modem and it seems to finally be working right. It still goes out every now and then though but not like it used to.

Other problems, I live next to a train and every time one goes by the tv goes out.... Also after they wired the phones in the house the first time it was not working right and they had to come back. When they came back again they said they re wired it. They did not. They had a new set of phone wires not connected to anything (again...) and I had to run all the wires myself and again got charged for it.

Also just recently they have been calling me and emailing me contently (I get a phone call every other day) Telling me I have a bot running on my computer. I am an IT student and I can tell you with 100% that I DO NOT. Also its non of Comcast business what is running on my network. That's like my electric company calling to tell me my toaster is not working right. The calls are getting annoying I tell them not to call back that I'm not interested in buying a $100 anti virus software from Norton (which is one of the worst anyway). I tell them that my computers are fine. Of course this is futile since the guy on the phone is from India and I can barely understand him. I now just ignore the calls but they are getting more frequent and annoying. Also a few years ago they started charging almost triple the price for a few months which was a mistake on their end. I had to go in and talk to them a few times before they finally refunded me.

Why don't I get another ISP? Well I can't put up with the speed of DSL and thats the only other option. When Comcast works it works decent I get about 25Mbps down and about 3.5Mbps up according to speedtest.net but I don't know how much longer I can put up with Comcast either.

So what are your stories?

/rant

Oct 15, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 26
Verizon (Frontier) has been dropping our connection endlessly during peak hours. It goes out usually around noon on weekdays for an hour, and it's not uncommon on the weekends to get sporadic connection (five minutes every ten minutes if we're lucky) all day. Then they have the nerve to give us a sales call about upgrading, and even said that we get disconnected because we aren't on the more expensive plan.

For the past few months I've been afraid to download anything more than 100MB without a download manager of some sort, because there's always the chance we'll lose internet halfway through. Of course online games are impossible.

During the worst times I can get the internet back up by resetting the modem, but there's no guarantee it'll stay on for more than ten seconds. And when it does come back it's usually at a fraction of our rated speed (3360kb/s). I've caught it going at 32kb/s a few times, which is nearly half the speed of dial-up.

Oct 15, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 26
Verizon (Frontier) has been dropping our connection endlessly during peak hours. It goes out usually around noon on weekdays for an hour, and it's not uncommon on the weekends to get sporadic connection (five minutes every ten minutes if we're lucky) all day. Then they have the nerve to give us a sales call about upgrading, and even said that we get disconnected because we aren't on the more expensive plan.

For the past few months I've been afraid to download anything more than 100MB without a download manager of some sort, because there's always the chance we'll lose internet halfway through. Of course online games are impossible.

During the worst times I can get the internet back up by resetting the modem, but there's no guarantee it'll stay on for more than ten seconds. And when it does come back it's usually at a fraction of our rated speed (3360kb/s). I've caught it going at 32kb/s a few times, which is nearly half the speed of dial-up.

Wow that sucks! Well actually though dial up is 56Kbps (Kilo bits per second) if you where downloading at 32KB/s (kilo bytes a second) then that's actually faster then dial up which can only achieve 7KB/s which is the same as 56Kbps. (one byte is equal to 8 bits)

How can ISPs get away with this stuff. They think they are above the law sometimes.

Oct 15, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:
Wow that sucks! Well actually though dial up is 56Kbps (Kilo bits per second) if you where downloading at 32KB/s (kilo bytes a second) then that's actually faster then dial up which can only achieve 7KB/s which is the same as 56Kbps. (one byte is equal to 8 bits)
How can ISPs get away with this stuff. They think they are above the law sometimes.

That's why I wrote 32kb/s, not 32kB/s. I do get only 32 kilobits at times.

The only reason they get away with this is we have no alternative. We live in the middle of nowhere.

Oct 15, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 26
That's why I wrote 32kb/s, not 32kB/s. I do get only 32 kilobits at times.

The only reason they get away with this is we have no alternative. We live in the middle of nowhere.

Oh sorry I miss understood. Yeah and even in places with alternatives often times the alternatives are no where near as fast. Like where I live only DSL is an alternative.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 26
One day my Internet Connection with my DSL is down. The "online" status on the modem is not lit up, which 99% of the time it's a problem on their end. I still spent about 1-2 hours trying to see if it's something that's my fault without any luck.
When I was 18 I was a computer technician so I'm not new to problems like this and can usually fix it myself fast. Usually  If the "online" status is lit I know it's something on my end.

I call AT&T up and explain the problem. They have me go through the usual steps that I've tried before. No luck. I ask them if they can make sure it's just not an outage in my area and it is not.

After calling them twice they tell me it's something on my end causing problems and that they can't fix it unless I pay them $100 or whatever it was. I hang up and spend another half hour to try and fix the problem. No luck.
I decided to pay the $100 to the technician who actually know what he's doing and isn't reading a script. So I get done with all this and it turns out they could not help me and it IS on there end. All this after paying them $100!!

It took me nearly 2 weeks to get the refund credited back to me. AT&T is far better than Charter though when it comes to service. Right now I pay about $15/month for 6M DSL. Don't need anything faster since I rarely download anything.
AT&T is usually reliable. In the two years i've been with them the service has been down maybe one or two times. No longer than 5 hours each time.

You know what's amazing to me? I rent a dedicated server (remote computer) and that thing has been up non-stop for nearly two years when I last checked it's uptime. It's running Fedora Linux and is getting pretty old. Just an old Celeron processor with 2gb of memory. I bet there's some that have been up for 5+ years straight!

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #7 of 26
I don't know about the US but man I hate networks in Australia (broadband and mobile). Maybe cause I'm from Korea and I get unlimited fastest internet in the world for 8 bucks a months (thanks to the strong Aussie dollar). Here I pay 40 AUD for 30 gig, YES, 30 GIGS for slow as crap internet, and I had to choose between 100 gigs of slow internet or 30 gigs of fast internet.

And no don't tell me to pay more for internet, my dad works in Korea and sends money, because of the strong Aussie dollar, its a bit hard for my family (my lil sister and my mom). Im a high student in Australia

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #11 of 26
I mostly use AT&T Wireless.

I hate AT&T.

AT&T is on my List of Companies To Never Ever Ever Ever Do Business With Again. Unfortunately, I have about nine months left on my contract. After that, they're going the same route as Bank of America, United Airlines, Microsoft, and pretty much every cable company anywhere. And then there's Olestra, but it's probably best if we don't talk about that.

I actually flew free on United for a year because every time I flew they screwed something up horribly and gave me a free ticket. This was like six or seven times in a row.

Not to derail the thread. I hate AT&T. Like United, not even free stuff will keep my business.

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #12 of 26

Quote:
I don't know about the US but man I hate networks in Australia (broadband and mobile). Maybe cause I'm from Korea and I get unlimited fastest internet in the world for 8 bucks a months (thanks to the strong Aussie dollar). Here I pay 40 AUD for 30 gig, YES, 30 GIGS for slow as crap internet, and I had to choose between 100 gigs of slow internet or 30 gigs of fast internet.

I got 70GB (Off Peak) + 50GB (On Peak) with Optus and it runs just fine. Fast and stable. 

Okay now to Vodafone. Worst service ever (disconnected in rural suburbs) even though they're upgrading their cell towers. When I got a new phone, contacting them is very pleasing but when we had to contact them for other reasons, I'm put on hold. Obviously, I'm moving off to Optus on my next contract.

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
I got 70GB (Off Peak) + 50GB (On Peak) with Optus and it runs just fine. Fast and stable. 

Okay now to Vodafone. Worst service ever (disconnected in rural suburbs) even though they're upgrading their cell towers. When I got a new phone, contacting them is very pleasing but when we had to contact them for other reasons, I'm put on hold. Obviously, I'm moving off to Optus on my next contract.

yea i know, I'm with Three (now, its the same as Vodafone). I have an iPhone 4, Three reception is so bad, I have the antenna issue WITH the case on (Speck Pixelskin HD that Apple gave out for free)

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #14 of 26
Ah Cox Communications the greatest ISP ever. I pay $27 a month for what is supposed to be 18mbps but I actually get closer to 40 mbps. I have downloaded 3 gig files in less than 15min before. But then again they rape you with crappy and expensive TV and phone service. The worst company ever is time Warner thou I hate them every time I go to LA, in fact I wouldn't move back to LA just cause they suck so much and are like $100 more than what I pay in Vegas for much better service.

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #15 of 26

Quote:
Ah Cox Communications the greatest ISP ever. I pay $27 a month for what is supposed to be 18mbps but I actually get closer to 40 mbps. I have downloaded 3 gig files in less than 15min before. But then again they rape you with crappy and expensive TV and phone service. The worst company ever is time Warner thou I hate them every time I go to LA, in fact I wouldn't move back to LA just cause they suck so much and are like $100 more than what I pay in Vegas for much better service.

Well you are LUCKY that you can move
I live in Hawaii, all we have is Time Warner and Hawaii Telcom (Local service provider)
The biggest two here, the rest are meh

Time Warner basically runs as a monopoly
My family pays $60, 60!! For 15 mb/s DL 1 mb/s UP
I could run to local provider but they cant service me with fast internet only 7 mb/s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back