Isone Pro - the best thing you could ever get for your headphones on your computer
Mar 13, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #661 of 963
Quote:
I know this is an old thread but I finally got round to trying the new TB Isone and I much prefer the original Isone Pro. I played with TB Isone for days and no matter how I set it I could not get the uncolored sound I get with Isone Pro. To me the two programs sound very different. I am sticking with the original Isone Pro. It became obvious to me that even if I could get TB Isone to sound as neutral and uncolored as Isone Pro (I never could) it would not bring any improvement so it wasn't worth the effort. Isone Pro is still the most neutral crossfeed plugin I've used. There is some slight low frequency loss in Isone Pro that is not present in TB Isone but that is the only improvement and too many negatives.

I was able to match the two, but I can't remember the exact settings. If there aren't any features/improvements in TB Isone that's important to you, then you can certainly go on using Isone Pro. That's what I do, since there's really nothing in TB Isone I feel I need to have over Isone Pro.

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #662 of 963
My god, I've never really felt that the music I'm listening to is being played in my room with the crossfeed dsp's I've used before. I'm using the preset HRTF setting and this is just phenomenal. I can't imagine what this would sound like with an HD 800 :eek:.

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #663 of 963
Quote:
My god, I've never really felt that the music I'm listening to is being played in my room with the crossfeed dsp's I've used before. I'm using the preset HRTF setting and this is just phenomenal. I can't imagine what this would sound like with an HD 800
eek.gif

Yes, I use Isone with my T1 and it is also amazing to my ears. Everyone's ears are different so the "amazing" sound you and I hear with Isone cannot be assured with another system and another set of ears. It seems that in my case and yours the synergy with Isone just locks in place. I totally agree that Isone brings the performance into my listening room. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #664 of 963
Yes, I use Isone with my T1 and it is also amazing to my ears. Everyone's ears are different so the "amazing" sound you and I hear with Isone cannot be assured with another system and another set of ears. It seems that in my case and yours the synergy with Isone just locks in place. I totally agree that Isone brings the performance into my listening room. 

Could you not just adjust the Isone settings to make them work for whatever headphone you want? I was thinking of purchasing an LCD-2 since it has a very natural sound, and I think that Isone would give it a very nice speaker feel. This is going off of what I've read about it, I can't hear one locally.

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #665 of 963
In my own experience I did not find that I could ever get Isone to work well with the HE500's when I had them. I have since sold them as I could not deal with the weight of those headphones. I also kept reaching for my T1's as they just seemed more musical to me. The point is that I've had some success with Isone and my Stax system but the HE500's just didn't like Isone. I cannot explain that result but I would point out that you cannot assume it will work equally well with every headphone. With my T1's Isone gives me a performance that is like listening to live music in my room. I found that the Isone settings with one headphone would not be optimized for another headphone. I had to recalibrate for each headphone. You can save profiles in Isone so it is easy to save a profile for each of your headphones. It is possible that my results with my T1's were just so much to my liking that I never worked hard enough to get the most out of Isone with the other headphones. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #666 of 963
Apparently the LCD-2 doesn't work well with Isone and colours the sound. I don't mind a bit of colouration as long as it makes the headphone sound more musical and doesn't bring out any of its flaws. I hope it doesn't screw up the imaging, but then again you said your T1 sounds great with it. So at least I know I can find a high-end headphone with synergy with Isone.

Mar 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #667 of 963
Quote:
Apparently the LCD-2 doesn't work well with Isone and colours the sound. I don't mind a bit of colouration as long as it makes the headphone sound more musical and doesn't bring out any of its flaws. I hope it doesn't screw up the imaging, but then again you said your T1 sounds great with it. So at least I know I can find a high-end headphone with synergy with Isone.

I have used Isone with every single headphone I've ever owned, including the LCD-2, and there are no problems.

I want to remind everyone that the "coloration" you guys keep mentioning is simply how your headphones would sound like if they became speakers placed in a high-end, acoustically treated mastering studio (albeit a virtual one). It is supposed to be scientifically correct, because how sound interacts with your ears and your head in a room will become part of the equation, thus the Head Related Transfer Function that's the core of Isone's algorithm. That is what gives Isone its realism, and without it, Isone wouldn't sound realistic anymore--it'll just be another typical crossfeed.

There are only a handful of headphones in the world that sounds ideally neutral/accurate without EQ'ing, and I apply custom EQ curves matched to specific headphones whenever I use headphones. My custom EQ + Isone = sonic bliss. 

You can learn about how to EQ your headphone here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/551426/my-eq-curves-for-lcd-2-hd650-m50-and-007mk2

Mar 23, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #668 of 963
I recently started using TB Isone with my HD800 and have been very impressed so far.  I was previous using the "subtle" crossfeed setting on JRiver with some custom parametric EQ.  At first it seemed a little rolled off or muted, but with further listening I realized it's just the sense of depth and center image.

I also have found that many recordings that I had sounded thin and flat suddenly sounded correct after engaging TB Isone.  Particularly studio produced, or electronic music, that were likely mixed over near field monitors.  I do leave the "room designer" off since I have no desire to simulate the additional reverb it adds.

Now, I'm honestly having trouble going back to listening without.  After ears adjusting, the HD800 actually sounds weird without it.  Much more natural and less fatiguing overall.  And I think it helps showcase how accurate the HD800 really is.  Imaging cues seem more accurate and make more sense to the individual recordings.  

May 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #669 of 963
I have been trying out Isone Pro and TB Isone the last few days and the results so far are pretty impressive. I am pretty sure my settings are as correct, but I will continue to tweak just a bit here and there to make sure things are right. 

The effect works better on some material than others..And that's fine. I was basically looking for a decent crossfeed so I keep the other settings fairly subtle. Even then, it sneaks up on you and surprises at times.

The other night I was listening to some laid back electronic music (connect.ohm) and had given up on fiddling with settings, obsessing over this-n-that (you know, you have all been there) and was just enjoying the music. My laptop screen was about 3 feet away, I looked up and hit the stop button and I got the strangest sensation....The feeling that the "shutting off" of the sound came from the laptop screen. In front of me. Cool. 

And no I wasn't drunk or on any drugs. Ha ha Just the effect working as intended. 

May 8, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #670 of 963
Has anyone successfully used this with Spotify?

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #675 of 963
Quote:
Has anyone successfully used this with Spotify?

Yes!  If you're on a Mac.  My setup is Spotify -> Soundflower -> AU Lab running Isone plugin.  All OS X sounds now go through Isone and whatever other plugins I use with AU Lab.  It took a while.

By the way, has anyone compared this with the FHX plugin for Fidelia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back