Isone Pro - the best thing you could ever get for your headphones on your computer
Mar 20, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #16 of 963
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunatique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't touch the controls on the left hand side at all. On the right, the only change I made was to set the distance to 2 meters, which matches my studio monitors distance to my listening position. I never bother with the cabinet emulation presets and keep it on flat. The only time I'd use other presets is to check to see how my mix would sound on a laptop or some boombox or through TV speakers...etc.

Thanks, I'm using the close-field 0.4s preset and it sounds great although I don't know how close to speaker-like it is, I've never worked with proper monitors.
smily_headphones1.gif
What headphones are you using with this? Wondering if it makes a difference closed vs open etc wrt to the settings. I'm listening on a ESP950.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #17 of 963
Oya? - The cabinet simulations are really there for you to check how your mix would sound on various audio setups, and unless you are a musician/composer/audio engineer that needs to check how your mix would sound on various setups, there's no reason to use any of the presets. Just leave it on flat/neutral, otherwise you'd be coloring your sound unnecessarily.

I all my headphones with it. It doesn't matter what headphone you use as there's no "synergy" ******** involved. The better the headphone, the better things will sound--totally logical and uncomplicated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone got it to work in winamp?

Yeah, it's easy. Just install the VST Host plug-in for Winamp, and then run Isone Pro from the VST Host. You can run any VST plugin with it, but only one at a time (whereas with J River Media Center 14, you can run as many as you want, in any order you want).

Mar 20, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #19 of 963
Quote:

Oya? - The cabinet simulations are really there for you to check how your mix would sound on various audio setups, and unless you are a musician/composer/audio engineer that needs to check how your mix would sound on various setups, there's no reason to use any of the presets. Just leave it on flat/neutral, otherwise you'd be coloring your sound unnecessarily.

I all my headphones with it. It doesn't matter what headphone you use as there's no "synergy" ******** involved. The better the headphone, the better things will sound--totally logical and uncomplicated.

Alright, sweet.
smily_headphones1.gif

I went ahead and bought it, I'm also playing around with the surround VST for games and movies, I think the surround sounds quite good too. I use VLC and the built-in (Dolby?) surround headphone setting isn't very good.

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #20 of 963
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Works with the VST_Winamp_Bridge

yeah that's exactly what I used, I then loaded the plugin with it and it seems to load but isone doesn't open.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #21 of 963
sweet, this is the first crossfeed type thing that actually has any real effect on me. Though tuning it seems like it's going to take a while, a lot of adjustments are available.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #22 of 963
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, sweet.
smily_headphones1.gif

I went ahead and bought it, I'm also playing around with the surround VST for games and movies, I think the surround sounds quite good too. I use VLC and the built-in (Dolby?) surround headphone setting isn't very good.

I didn't know VLC has built-in surround headphone? I've been using VLC for years and I have never seen that option? I've tried the surround headphone on PowerDVD and WinDVD, and I thought they just OK. I haven't actually tried Isone Pro's surround with movies yet, since I usually use JVC SU-DH1 for that (and gaming).

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah that's exactly what I used, I then loaded the plugin with it and it seems to load but isone doesn't open.

Try using VST Host plugin for Winamp instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sweet, this is the first crossfeed type thing that actually has any real effect on me. Though tuning it seems like it's going to take a while, a lot of adjustments are available.

I wonder how many people just leave it on its default setting and is perfectly happy with it? The only reason I had made one tiny change (distance to 2 meters) is because my studio monitors are 2 meters away from me, and I wanted to match that. Otherwise, I wouldn't make any changes. If find the default setting to be a very good common ground that would probably work very well for majority of people. I have tried tweaking all the settings, and I really didn't come upon any combination that sounded better than the default setting.

Mar 20, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #23 of 963
Quote:

It's kind of addictive, isn't it? Once you have tired it, you don't ever want to listen on headphones without it ever again.

While the headphone crossfeed feature that comes with J River Media Center is pretty good (especially on pronounced setting)--actually quite similar to the results you get from Redline Monitor, which costs much more than Isone Pro, neither can actually create the convincing sound of speakers actually in front of you.

I'm really happy with this combo (MC14 + Isone Pro)
What sold me is when I played John Coltrane (the very best of) the recordings are L (sax & piano) R (drum & double bass) with very little stereo mix in the middle, without Isone Pro you basically hear the sax hard pan left & the drum hard pan right with a giant void in the middle very hard to listen to, me couldn't stand it...
Turn Isone pro on and everything comes together...give it a try.
JB recommends studio monitor headphone for best result (less coloration) I'm Shure glad I got the SHR840's
Enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #24 of 963
Tried ISONE Pro demo with Wimap, Foobar2000 and J River Media Center. I'm really impress with the sound quality it generate. J River Media Center seem to sound the best with it. With J River Media Center, I can't save the setting for ISONE Pro. Every time I close and reopen J River Media Center, the ISONE PRO setting got reset back to default. Anyone have this problem or have solution to it?

Mar 20, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #25 of 963
Quote:

Originally Posted by duckymcse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
T Every time I close and reopen J River Media Center, the ISONE PRO setting got reset back to default. Anyone have this problem or have solution to it?

Use the preset saving on the Media Center DSP Studio GUI, not the one on Isone Pro (or was it the other way around?). Anyway, it worked for me (whichever one it was).
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #26 of 963
Quote:

I didn't know VLC has built-in surround headphone? I've been using VLC for years and I have never seen that option? I've tried the surround headphone on PowerDVD and WinDVD, and I thought they just OK. I haven't actually tried Isone Pro's surround with movies yet, since I usually use JVC SU-DH1 for that (and gaming).

On the version I'm using (1.0.5) it's a tick box under Effects in the Audio settings. But besides on/off there's no other options to play around with.

Quote:

I wonder how many people just leave it on its default setting and is perfectly happy with it? The only reason I had made one tiny change (distance to 2 meters) is because my studio monitors are 2 meters away from me, and I wanted to match that. Otherwise, I wouldn't make any changes. If find the default setting to be a very good common ground that would probably work very well for majority of people. I have tried tweaking all the settings, and I really didn't come upon any combination that sounded better than the default setting.

I gave a shot at going through the settings like suggested in the pdf manual and I got this:

isone.jpg

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #28 of 963
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I gave a shot at going through the settings like suggested in the pdf manual and I got this:[/IMG]

I tried your setting, and it sounds a bit closer in distance, and the sound a slightly more full-bodied. I might try tweaking again and see what I come up with.

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #29 of 963
I just tried out the demo in Ableton, using a dry vocal track as suggested in the manual to configure it, and it seems like it just doesn't work on me.
triportsad.gif

I tried other headphones, figuring S-Logic might be messing it up. I tried other test material. I tried many combinations of settings. No matter what I do, it still sounds like the sound is in my head, not where my speakers are.

Thoughts?

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #30 of 963
Quote:

Originally Posted by froasier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just tried out the demo in Ableton, using a dry vocal track as suggested in the manual to configure it, and it seems like it just doesn't work on me.
triportsad.gif

I tried other headphones, figuring S-Logic might be messing it up. I tried other test material. I tried many combinations of settings. No matter what I do, it still sounds like the sound is in my head, not where my speakers are.

Thoughts?

Can you render a before and after mp3 so we can hear what you're hearing?

For most people, even the default setting should sound very good--far better than any software crossfeed out there. It should sound drastically different from the typical exaggerated stereo separation of headphones, and much more like the sound is in front of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back