Isn't this kind of thing illegal or regulated?
Jul 16, 2007 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

AuroraProject

Headphoneus Supremus
I received a credit card statement on Thursday the 12th, with a payment due date of Sunday the 15th. Even if I put the check in the mail the next day there is no way they would receive it and credit the account before the due date. This will now result in a late fee and a possible bad mark on my otherwise fine credit report. Short of demanding the late fee be removed, is there anything else I can do about this?

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 22
Yeah I noticed that same thing happening to me. Luckily I have my Credit Card and checking account through the same bank, so I jut transferred the cash. But still, I'd like to know the answer too.

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 22
Creditors (here in Canada, anyway) usually have a grace period before the payment becomes "officially" late. I would simply call them up, ask for their advice and then follow through once the payment has been accepted.

Jul 16, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #6 of 22
I would think that it's up to the individual credit card company to whether they have a grace period or not. Somewhere in the fine print of your last contract it should say in there (if you get out the magnifying glass
wink.gif
)

I view and pay my credit card bill on the net....though they have a set processing time period (like 3 days). Though if you pay a bit extra, it gets instant payment.

Jul 16, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 22
Even if there is a grace period, they will mark on your record anyway. Late is late. They earn big potion of their revenue from those fees. They sometimes state it rather confusing way, so you should read those tiny letters in your credit card agreement.

I think you should call them. Ask them if there's any other payment option.
Amax has cash transfer option. You can avoid late fee by sending your money from your bank or other credit card to the company. If your credit company offers this option, you can make payment right away by the phone. It tooks about 2 hours to process. I once did that with Amax, 3 hours before the deadline, and it worked.

The other option is to call or visit your bank, and sellect auto bill pay option. You will never be late as long as you have enough balance in your bank account.

Jul 16, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 22
Call the credit card company and explain the situation. my guess is they'll put a note in your file and won't tag it as late or charge a late fee since you're a good customer. Probable the USPS is at fault or if it's the CC company that screwed up, you won't be the only person to ring their bell!

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #9 of 22
Pay it online?

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 22
Your credit card isn't through MBNA, is it? They seem to do that sort of thing to me, too - although I don't really pay attention much, because I always make my payments online.

It does strike me as a pretty slimy thing to do, though.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 22
This thread isn't about how I should pay my bills, I pay every bill I have online.

I seem to recall years ago being party to a class action lawsuit against Providian for the same exact issue, they would send the bills out so close to the due date that some people would receive the bill after the due date! I had a Providian card for 3 months before realizing what kind of operation they were, I quickly closed the account and moved on.

The bank is Chase.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your credit card isn't through MBNA, is it? They seem to do that sort of thing to me, too - although I don't really pay attention much, because I always make my payments online.

It does strike me as a pretty slimy thing to do, though.

Mine is through MBNA, but since Bank of America merged/bought them, my payments go through almost instantly.

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #14 of 22
Chase sucks, as do they all.

Call them and explain - they'll grant you a couple of days. As long as you call *before* it's late, they're cool with it.

GAD

Jul 19, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #15 of 22
I've never had a problem with a financial institution taking care of problems like this if you simply call. I've had overdraft fees removed, late fees removed, and given an extra 6 months to start paying student loans just from calling and explaining the situation.

As long as you don't make it a habit or have a horrible credit rating chances are they'll be understanding. They don't want to lose you as a customer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back