ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN H60!
Jan 8, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #4,772 of 5,134
1704741684371.png

So I posted some impressions of the new NEO3 on the discovery thread. Please do take a read. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-17904753

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #4,773 of 5,134
Jan 16, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #4,774 of 5,134
ISN Neo 3

Here are some early impressions of the Neo 3. I’ve only listened for about 2 hours, and much of that was cable & tip rolling, so please don’t take this as a full review.

IMG_3432.jpeg

Disclaimer: I am just a normal guy who bought these and all my IEMs myself. The only reason I got the Neo 3 before release is because I emailed Penon to ask about the release date and they offered an early purchase. My tuning preference is very much on the warm side, and my musical taste varies but EDM and rock feature a lot.

The package is very much what you would expect from ISN: The typical little fake leather case, a passable cable (dark copper), some tips. And two intensely orange little IEMs. Build quality seems fine, and the finish is transparent enough to see the internals clearly.

I believe the configuration of the Neo 3 is a 6mm DD for bass, another 6mm DD for mids, and a small planar for treble. As with any Penon or ISN IEM the tone is warm and thick, so if you want bright or reference tuning these are probably not for you. The tuning is not as bass heavy as I expected, less than the Neo 5 but still above neutral. Mids are forward, giving a richness to the sound and elevating vocals. Treble is not bright, but the planar driver gives crisp details that are very much unlike the Serial and Quattro.

Layering is good, with 3 drivers free to focus on their section of the frequency range. Typically for Penon / ISN, the Neo 3 responds to changes of source, tip and cable.

IMG_3434.jpeg

Comparing the Neo 3 to the Neo 1 and Neo 5, it sits comfortably between them in richness and technicalities while having a character of its own.

So far I like the Neo 3, but it’s not on the level of the Quattro, Serial or Neo 5… but those are significantly more expensive.

Overall the Neo 3 seems to be a good, warm IEM that avoids the poor technicalities that typically afflict warm tunings. Consider it if you want forward mids and restrained treble, backed up with a good timbre and clarity.

Edit: A night of burning in and these are noticeably smoother, with better coherency between drivers. Yesterday I thought they were good, today they are great.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #4,775 of 5,134
ISN Neo 3

Here are some early impressions of the Neo 3. I’ve only listened for about 2 hours, and much of that was cable & tip rolling, so please don’t take this as a full review.

IMG_3432.jpeg

Disclaimer: I am just a normal guy who bought these and all my IEMs myself. The only reason I got the Neo 3 before release is because I emailed Penon to ask about the release date and they offered an early purchase. My tuning preference is very much on the warm side, and my musical taste varies but EDM and rock feature a lot.

The package is very much what you would expect from ISN: The typical little fake leather case, a passable cable (dark copper), some tips. And two intensely orange little IEMs. Build quality seems fine, and the finish is transparent enough to see the internals clearly.

I believe the configuration of the Neo 3 is a 6mm DD for bass, another 6mm DD for mids, and a small planar for treble. As with any Penon or ISN IEM the tone is warm and thick, so if you want bright or reference tuning these are probably not for you. The tuning is not as bass heavy as I expected, less than the Neo 5 but still above neutral. Mids are forward, giving a richness to the sound and elevating vocals. Treble is not bright, but the planar driver gives crisp details that are very much unlike the Serial and Quattro.

Layering is good, with 3 drivers free to focus on their section of the frequency range. Typically for Penon / ISN, the Neo 3 responds to changes of source, tip and cable.

IMG_3434.jpeg

Comparing the Neo 3 to the Neo 1 and Neo 5, it sits comfortably between them in richness and technicalities while having a character of its own.

So far I like the Neo 3, but it’s not on the level of the Quattro, Serial or Neo 5… but those are significantly more expensive.

Overall the Neo 3 seems to be a good, warm IEM that avoids the poor technicalities that typically afflict warm tunings. Consider it if you want forward mids and restrained treble, backed up with a good timbre and clarity.
Thanks for your impressions.

Thought about jumping in, but I'm having too much fun with the Quattro, and will put the money into a "higher" comparable or superior iem.

But this is at this moment, who knows if I change my mind...

Jan 17, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #4,776 of 5,134
ISN Neo 3

IMG_3432.jpeg

IMG_3434.jpeg

Thank you for your impressions. This satisfied my needs on what I needed to know.

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #4,777 of 5,134
PENON OS133 4 Shares TYPE-C to 3.5mm audio/4.4mm balanced
DAC 384KHz/32bit; ADC 96KHz/24bit AMP
CX31993+ MAX97220 Type-C 384 KHz/32bit digital audio USB Amplifier
It's a Type-C digital audio headphone USB adapter PCBA solution.
The built-in CX31993 digital audio codec chip and MAX97220 power amplifier chip support up to 384KHz/32bit sampling rate.
Excellent mobile compatibility for iOS and Android .
The product size is small and the appearance is beautiful.
Interface: type-C
Earphone impedance: 32ohm
Decoding rate: up to support DAC 384KHz/32bit; ADC 96KHz/24bit
SNR @1kHz: 100dB
THD+ N@1 KHz: -93dB
Crosstalk suppression @1 KHz: -55dB

Price yet to be disclosed.

420533508_2016993402014250_2631314472142259372_n.jpg

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #4,778 of 5,134
ISN Neo 3

IMG_3432.jpeg

After burning in overnight, the Neo 3 sound is notably smoother and the drivers are more coherent. Yesterday I was satisfied but not quite seeing the hype. Today they are significantly better. This isn’t brain burn in as I have been listening to an entirely different set (the Moondrop May, which I have been listening to for a few days).

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #4,779 of 5,134
After burning in overnight, the Neo 3 sound is notably smoother and the drivers are more coherent. Yesterday I was satisfied but not quite seeing the hype. Today they are significantly better. This isn’t brain burn in as I have been listening to an entirely different set (the Moondrop May, which I have been listening to for a few days).
Ordered mine last night.
Looks neat and will compare with my other set that is otw [Pula PA02].
Let's start off 2024 with some budget bangers!

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #4,780 of 5,134
interested to see how they turn out.

Jan 17, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #4,781 of 5,134
Ya I would continue to burn them in for the remainder of the week. These multi dynamic sets really need that driver workout.

They become quite addictive.

Jan 22, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #4,782 of 5,134
Just got an email from Penon to say the NEO 3's have been released :) - https://penonaudio.com/ISN-Audio-NEO-3

Really looking forward to hearing more opinions on these - haven't dipped my toe into Penon or ISN yet, but I'm looking at their range for a lush, warm, mids-forward pair to complement my Canon ii's. Early signs for the NEO 3's are promising!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #4,783 of 5,134
Really looking forward to hearing more opinions on these - haven't dipped my toe into Penon or ISN yet, but I'm looking at their range for a lush, warm, mids-forward pair to complement my Canon ii's. Early signs for the NEO 3's are promising
you ll certainly hear my opinion on these man...............:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
cause i am officialy an ISN FAN BOY and HAVE NO REGRETS WHATSOEVER ABOUT IT ............:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: btw....my order on these just shipped there...

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 5:54 AM Post #4,784 of 5,134
Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #4,785 of 5,134

Users who are viewing this thread

Back