ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN H60!
Jun 10, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #4,366 of 5,157
3rd one in the pic, do you mean? Aür Audio Aure. @s2kphile did elaborate a bit on the Penon thread when I asked to compare its bass (although I wouldn’t mind if he gave it the full comparo treatment as well, since the Aure is surely no less capable…)
That Aure is the baby Aure. A prototype. It has 4+1 verus the 6+1 production.

The treble on the Aure is tune down to be smoother and to better balance with the bass and to make sure the mids shine.

Where the Neo5 is tune up on the treble to better balance out the rumble and slam. Its not V or U by any means since the mids are forward. Thats why I say L sound signature with boost in all the frequencies.

If you want to enjoyment out of your music this is another winner. Heck I may choose this over the 10th AE because of the forwardness of the mids which I prefer.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #4,367 of 5,157
The Neo 5 is all about that big bold sound. Fowardness vs a slightly laid-back wider sound profile of the 10th. In comparison the 10th actually has less coloration. Sounds a bit more referency vs the NEO 5. Both have a forward bass presence but the NEO 5 sounds a touch more mid bassy vs the 10th which leans its bass more toward the sub bass.

If you guys own the H40, these sound like a direct upgrade on that sound signature to my ears. 10th is unique as it is one of two IEMs in Penon stable that is a V signature.
NEO 5 is one of those IEMs that will appeal to folks that love speaker type sound. Thats what they remind me of in presentation. No question the 10th is a higher end IEM but that will depend on if you like your music with some extra boost and forwardness or not.
The closest to the NEO 5 by sound signature is H40? Is it has any similarity in sound signature with Penon Impact or Serial?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #4,369 of 5,157
Tony has his review out on Neo 5, while I am unlucky and its either lost in transit or has taken a pit stop in Asia for a week 🤣

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #4,370 of 5,157
Neo 5 vs Globe? 🙌🤔
Both IEMs based on a musical fullness. The difference here is the Neo 5 is using a dual BA for its mids presentation and it looks like its own sound channel. The Globe has 2 sound channels/ bores one for bass and one that shares its sound tubing that does the mids and trebles. This works but I noticed the reason why higher end IEMs have more separate sound bores is to give a higher level of technicalities especially dealing with imaging and sound separation.

The perceptions of sound separation when done properly adds to a more holographic imaging of the sound, better clarity, better precision. I mentioned the NEO 5 reminds me of the ISN H40 in sound presentation but where the new NEO 5 is an upgrade is in its inner details. I can clearly hear the upgraded Knowles BAs being used on this set. It is the technical stuff that is an upgrade but one that leans more towards immersion and musicality vs being neutral or analytical.

Vs the Globes. Globes sound like it is using two speakers for its sound vs the NEO 5 which is using something like 5 speakers for its sound. Mids don't sound as precise as the Neo 5. Sounds a bit more smoother in tonal qualities for the Globe but one that is also smoothed over a bit and not as dimensional as the NEO 5. There is a difference in how you image sound there. Especially related to sound separation in space

Bass end Rumbles with more authority on the NEO 5 vs the Globes sub bass. I would say the quality of the bass ends on both sets are compatable but there seems to be more of it on the NE0 5.

The treble, the NEO 5 has the edge in extension. A Dual BA vs a single BA. Trebles are tuned with a slight extra lift for the Neo 5 especially its lower trebles. But actual extension and air I would give that to the NEO 5. Globes stage is just a hair wider vs the NEO 5 and its presentation is just a bit more organic/ richer in nature. Sonion vs Knowles. But otherwise if your looking for just a bit more in the form of technialities, imaging, sound separation, precision with better extension on both ends of the sound.

That is what the NEO 5 bings to the table.

Jun 12, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #4,371 of 5,157
Ok, ok......I'm a little slow to comprehend what the joke is about. Yep, Penon in their wisdom played a joke on all of us, well at least the members of us that weren't already in the know. Yep, the Penon Bass Cable is for Bass IEMs, it doesn't exactly enhance (totally) the bass, what it does is sculpture it, and realign it into the stage to make bass heavy IEMs have better pace! Also more cohesiveness and balance; they are continuing the course for going onto the direction of fidelity through clarity and transparency! I love it! I really do! They are kinda going the direction of the Vocal Cable in that the ISN EST50 is cleaner and faster, like what the Vocal Cable does for the EST50. But the vocals are not (of course) as forward as the Vocal Cable.

DSC_0034.jpegwe.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #4,374 of 5,157
Neo 5 is up. Judging from the graph, looks L shaped, very similar, if not inspired from the older brother EST50

Jun 12, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #4,375 of 5,157
Measurment does look similar, bass on Neo5 seems to flat more out. As I understood the drivers are very refined and good, making both mids and treble super nice on Neo 5.

ISN Neo 5
Screenshot_20230612-113106.png

ISN EST50
1686562049199.png

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #4,376 of 5,157
Neo 5 vs EST50?
Mine is in the mail, so I can do a side by side, except the EST50 is vary much a chameleon and I will need to do comparisons with the included cable (S8) and others to really get a hold of what we have!

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #4,377 of 5,157
Hello,

Do you think the Neo 5 is tolerant of bad recordings?

I have:
  • Penon Serial: I really like its warmth and musicality.
  • Penon H50: I love its mids, although its treble is SLIGHTLY higher than I would like.
  • Penon H40= I like them a lot too but I find their treble a bit metallic and their mids a bit delayed.

With this I don't know if anyone could help me to choose.

Thank you very much!!!!!

Jun 12, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #4,378 of 5,157
I am totally having a love affair with my H40's currently... but, the NEO5/EST50's are still super enticing... and also the Serials have been on my radar for a while too... The NEO5's are so beautiful and I hear are a step up from H40's and EST50s are the ultimate ISN, Uggggh, why are decisions so hard? LOL

Jun 12, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #4,379 of 5,157
I am totally having a love affair with my H40's currently... but, the NEO5/EST50's are still super enticing... and also the Serials have been on my radar for a while too... The NEO5's are so beautiful and I hear are a step up from H40's and EST50s are the ultimate ISN, Uggggh, why are decisions so hard? LOL
I recommend Serial. They have a really musical and analog sound. It reminds me of a JVC stereo I had in the 90s....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back