ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN H60!
Mar 10, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #737 of 5,095
Many thanks to all the reviewers in this thread. I purchased the H40 based on the positive reviews and impressions. The H40 is my first over $100 IEM and I couldn't be happier with these.

I've been wondering about upgrading the cables. I'm especially interested in getting either the ISN SC4 or AG8 to pair with these. I'm hoping someone can help with a quick direct comparison between these two cables.

The H40 will be my only IEM for the next few years, so I don't mind paying for good cable upgrade.

Mar 10, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #738 of 5,095
Took the H40 out last night for a quick listen
I still like them a lot.

There are some of us on Head-Fi that will seek to spend north of $2k on an IEM to get that extra few % of enjoyment. But for the rest, the H40 will satisfy day to day listening enjoyment.

I fall into both categories :)

Mar 10, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #739 of 5,095
I only see one post from you and you mention it's your first above $100 IEM.
I'm just going to throw this out there- The stock cable is a good one.

What are you driving it with?
If you don't have a good source it's best to upgrade that first, then go to a balanced cable.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #740 of 5,095
Many thanks to all the reviewers in this thread. I purchased the H40 based on the positive reviews and impressions. The H40 is my first over $100 IEM and I couldn't be happier with these.

I've been wondering about upgrading the cables. I'm especially interested in getting either the ISN SC4 or AG8 to pair with these. I'm hoping someone can help with a quick direct comparison between these two cables.

The H40 will be my only IEM for the next few years, so I don't mind paying for good cable upgrade.

I love both the cables you mentioned but because I like both of them I would go for the SC4 due to it being cheaper. AG8 gives the absolute best definition possible for the H40 but added layer of crystal copper on the SC4 adds a touch of warmth to the mids and lows which balances out the sonics on the H40.

To be honest the aboslute favorite cable for the H40 is the Penon LEO Plus cable I got on it now but that cable is like a luxury item at $300. I think the ISN SC4 out of the cables mentioned gives the best bang for buck and value out of the 3 cables. If you have a source that let you listen in balanced. Get a balanced ISN SC4 and I am certain you will be happy with that pairing.

If you hold on in a few days I am getting this new cable from ISN the CU4
1583865602160.png

I love how the Penon Fiery sounds on the H40 but this new item looks to one up that cable. 4 thick cores of crystal copper.

I will have a breakdown of the cables once I get this new ISN CU4 in and how they shape the sound of the H40 in more detail soon.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #744 of 5,095
I can give you a good idea of the Blessing 2 vs the H40. Blessing 2 I guarantee is an upgrade vs the Starfield. However it is not an upgrade over the H40. More like a side grade.

If you gave a person a set of H40 and a Blessing2. I am willing to bet you some might like the H40 better some might like the Blessing2 better. H40 has the more dynamic bass presentation. A touch more treble sparkle and presence. The Blessing2 is a very safe sounding iem. No obvious stand out parts to the sound. Good wide stage and has very good mids but otherwise SQ wise it is a toss up.

I got a message from a headfi member that told me the same thing. He thought the Blessing 2 was bit of a let down because it didn't do anything really better than the H40. I like em both but why not save the $115 or so and get a H40 instead. Plus I know for a fact the H40 scales better to cable upgrades. Blessing 2 is a bit more picky. Blessing 2 has the better isolation however but that is really about it.

Actually if your gonna compare price points. You can get a H40 and the ISN SC4 silver cable. Will give the edge to the H40 for the same cost of a Blessing2.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #746 of 5,095
Thanks for the feedback, balanced likey won't be a option though. My source will be direct from a phone (lg g8, 3.5mm).
I'll try the SC4. The H40 has already been a huge jump from my regular earphones.

rather than upgrade your cable first, I agree with @quick1 that you may want to upgrade your source first. I have LG v40 that I believe have very similar sound with G8, and I'm using DX160 as my main source currently, they give detail yet smooth presenation, more dynamic and wider soundstage over V40 with H40. SOund characteristic is similar, the meridian tuned LG is smoother than old LG (V20, V30 etc) but at first I listen on DX160, dynamic is the most audible here. I'm not selling DX160 so you can pick any other option too maybe hiby R5 or fiio M11 pro / M15 or anything else but few H40 users said that DX160 have great pairing with DX160.

I can give you a good idea of the Blessing 2 vs the H40. Blessing 2 I guarantee is an upgrade vs the Starfield. However it is not an upgrade over the H40. More like a side grade.

If you gave a person a set of H40 and a Blessing2. I am willing to bet you some might like the H40 better some might like the Blessing2 better. H40 has the more dynamic bass presentation. A touch more treble sparkle and presence. The Blessing2 is a very safe sounding iem. No obvious stand out parts to the sound. Good wide stage and has very good mids but otherwise SQ wise it is a toss up.

I got a message from a headfi member that told me the same thing. He thought the Blessing 2 was bit of a let down because it didn't do anything really better than the H40. I like em both but why not save the $115 or so and get a H40 instead. Plus I know for a fact the H40 scales better to cable upgrades. Blessing 2 is a bit more picky. Blessing 2 has the better isolation however but that is really about it.

Actually if your gonna compare price points. You can get a H40 and the ISN SC4 silver cable. Will give the edge to the H40 for the same cost of a Blessing2.

H40 vs Blessing 2 from your story is similar like H40 vs Tri i3, I like them both and the i3 may have similar presentation like blessing 2, more safe, treble safe, focused on mids. But if i have to pick 1, ill go for H40 after long session with both of them, i really cant get enough from H40. Its a tough and close call though.

Btw, where do I go from here if someday I want to jump to better IEM than H40? any thoughts for worthy IEM compared to H40 under $500?

Mar 11, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #747 of 5,095
I got the same question from several PMs. Where do I go next?

As crazy as it may seem I don't know if $500 is going to do it. I can see a different sounding IEM but an actual upgrade? My IT04 is $500. I wouldn't considering it an actual upgrade however. A bit more neutral sounding vs the H40 but not an upgrade.

For me I am waiting on the announcement of the inevitable H50. ISN H40 clearly is a statement piece by ISN and I am willing to bet once they come out with the ISN H50 at around $300 those will be the definitive upgrade on the H40 otherwise.

There are side grades like the TSMR-3pro, blessing 2, DUNU DK2001 and I am hoping Shozy 1.4 might be a good competitor at a cheaper price but an actual upgrade? That is a tough one.

I got the Penon Leo Plus on the H40 listening to it out of my newly aquired Fiio M15. AMAZING. Just stupendous. In fact so much so I am wondering if even my Solaris is an actual upgrade at this point.

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #748 of 5,095

Having tried the Blessing 2 too, the H40 is just superior to it imo.

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #749 of 5,095
I have the Blessing coming tomorrow and will give my take as well. Not blessing 2 though.

brought H40 to work with me today. Paired with the Sony Kimber Kable.

o4ePwzT.jpg

Mar 11, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #750 of 5,095
I have the Blessing coming tomorrow and will give my take as well. Not blessing 2 though.

brought H40 to work with me today. Paired with the Sony Kimber Kable.

o4ePwzT.jpg
How is the pairing with the Kimber?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back