ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN H60!
Feb 16, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #601 of 5,154
I have most of them and I will say the H40 is similar with BLON in signature, they have deep bass, punchy mid bass, clear mids, safe 3khz peak, sparkles on 8khz and airy wide soundstage but H40 is better almost in every aspects. Cleaner bass, clearer mids, better separation, much better soundstage, layering etc

Thank you @DynamicEars. Is it easy to drive H40? Note that I am using Galaxy S8 and FIIO M5.

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #602 of 5,154
Thank you @DynamicEars. Is it easy to drive H40? Note that I am using Galaxy S8 and FIIO M5.

Very easy to drive. I have note 8 and they can drive the H40 without problem, though they sounded better with better sources of course.

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #603 of 5,154
Very easy to drive. I have note 8 and they can drive the H40 without problem, though they sounded better with better sources of course.

It's fast to get your answer. Thank you very much.

Feb 16, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #604 of 5,154
Another meetup, another hit for the H40, each time I have people auditioned them they are so impressed and so many order right after :tongue:

Each time I pick them up, I am reminded what I love about them and this kind of signature that is much less common than it used to be! Such a powerful, grounded sound and a massive soundstage :D

Feb 16, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #606 of 5,154
ISN H40 is a very good IEM but IMHO, they are oplar opposite of your search of cold and analytical IEM. They are warm with very great note weight. They sounded big and wont go cold and analytical.
From your list, if you're after a bit cold and analytical, maybe you can dig for OH10 and T4 more.

Sorry that I confused you. I was under a false impression of UE TF 10 going towards cold/analytical (well... my friends said so). Checked ClieOS' reviews again and now I'm clear that TF10 is a balanced one. My current daily drive is RE400 and I like its signature as well - but I'd love to have bigger soundstage and a bit more sparkly treble.

Taking that in mind, is H40 an option for me?

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #607 of 5,154
Another meetup, another hit for the H40, each time I have people auditioned them they are so impressed and so many order right after :tongue:

Each time I pick them up, I am reminded what I love about them and this kind of signature that is much less common than it used to be! Such a powerful, grounded sound and a massive soundstage :D
I concur. Mine is 120 hours+ now and they are sounded BIG, not just loud but its like magical inside a musical chamber, that sense of space is there with every notes are on perfect weight, that weight is really special to me that I never heard this kind of proper weight from budget-midfi level. And everything seems effortless, very dynamic, attack properly when called, and gone snappy. Soundstage is really special indeed, for this aspect definitely very special. wider than i3, even M7.

From my IEMs, I think H40 sounds closest to Sony N3. N3 has a bit better bass, same quantity and a bit smoother overall sound, H40 sounds a bit larger and a tad more engaging.

I agree, they have similarity in sound with Sony N3 and Z5

Sorry that I confused you. I was under a false impression of UE TF 10 going towards cold/analytical (well... my friends said so). Checked ClieOS' reviews again and now I'm clear that TF10 is a balanced one. My current daily drive is RE400 and I like its signature as well - but I'd love to have bigger soundstage and a bit more sparkly treble.

Taking that in mind, is H40 an option for me?

I never heard the hifiman RE400 but I checked the graph, from the graph looks like Sub bass and mid bass punch is much more in H40. If you like boosted bass, you will like them. But if you prefer the neutrality of the low end, I can't guarantee you will love the H40, H40 will be sounded more fun and engaging. But soundstage wise, H40 is 1 of the widest you can get, especially in this price range. And RE400 have peak on 6khz to perceive clarity, but I wont worry with H40 real clarity here. on 8 khz H40 have more sparkles too. So the H40 indeed will be more fun IEM with huge soundstage. Again, this H40 isn't cold or analytical, they more like DD timbre instead which many people like. I also prefer warm with decent clarity signature rather than cold/analytical (unless you are after a special genre that need that). Or can you tell us what you preference genre is?

Feb 16, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #608 of 5,154
I have most of them and I will say the H40 is similar with BLON in signature, they have deep bass, punchy mid bass, clear mids, safe 3khz peak, sparkles on 8khz and airy wide soundstage but H40 is better almost in every aspects. Cleaner bass, clearer mids, better separation, much better soundstage, layering etc.
This is very interesting to hear, thank you.

This is my first trip into the realm of more hifi related IEM's. With all of the hype behind the BL03's I went ahead and got those (and the C-8 cable) first so I could have something to compare my OEM Apple earbuds and super cheap Sony's to. I'm still waiting for them to arrive. I was actually a little conflicted about the BL03 and the T4's or maybe waiting on the BL05 but it will likely be more money. When I went to order the combination of the T4 going up in price and reading that the T4 is a bit more analytical kinda solved my problem. I just hope the extra bass doesn't step on the bass players and mids much. There's a lot happening in the mids of the music I listen to. I'm not centering on it but I do want to hear it. I love my screaming guitars and cymbal strikes when there're not sonically making me wince.

Now I'll hopefully have a decent set to do comparisons on when I jump to the under $200. range. That lower midfi area is very likely where I'll stay put.

I am waiting on my 1.4 will let you all know how they are. They seem to be a good deal but the H40 here is my bench mark for the price.
Anxious to hear what you report. I'd love to hear of a comparison between the H40, Shozy 1.4, and the Voyager 3.

Music I listen to: Airy rhythmic, stadium sound, on to heavy hitting rock/ Metal.

60's Classic Rock- and on into today's Rock/ Hard Rock / Metal
Not in preference- Rush, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, DIO, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Chevelle, Tool, Hoobastank, Seether, Green Day, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, Stones, Beach Boys, Alice In Chains, Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Stone Temple Pilots, 38 Special, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cream, Peter Frampton, Boston, ELO, The Eagles, Donnie Iris, Fleetwood Mack, I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture.
No EDM, Rap, or seriously low frequency stuff

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #609 of 5,154
I can tell you your gonna enjoy the H40 for your music that is pretty much everything I listen to. H40 is versatile for all types of genres. Plus I listen to EDM and Hip hop. Lol.
Don't know about the Shozy but I can tell you the Voyager 3 isn't going to have the bass impact or rumble of the H40. It can't as it uses a BA. Especially ones that cost $160. Lets just say BAs have their limitations when it comes to bass. Stevie Ray is something special on the H40. Is all you need to know. Rock and metal is awesome on the H40. You want airy rhythmic, stadium sound . It is like your describing the H40s.

Feb 16, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #610 of 5,154
My H40 has been sitting at customs since beginning of the week. No movement. Probably quarantine of packages from HK.

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #611 of 5,154
This is very interesting to hear, thank you.

This is my first trip into the realm of more hifi related IEM's. With all of the hype behind the BL03's I went ahead and got those (and the C-8 cable) first so I could have something to compare my OEM Apple earbuds and super cheap Sony's to. I'm still waiting for them to arrive. I was actually a little conflicted about the BL03 and the T4's or maybe waiting on the BL05 but it will likely be more money. When I went to order the combination of the T4 going up in price and reading that the T4 is a bit more analytical kinda solved my problem. I just hope the extra bass doesn't step on the bass players and mids much. There's a lot happening in the mids of the music I listen to. I'm not centering on it but I do want to hear it. I love my screaming guitars and cymbal strikes when there're not sonically making me wince.

Now I'll hopefully have a decent set to do comparisons on when I jump to the under $200. range. That lower midfi area is very likely where I'll stay put.

Anxious to hear what you report. I'd love to hear of a comparison between the H40, Shozy 1.4, and the Voyager 3.

Music I listen to: Airy rythmic, stadium sound, on to heavy hiting rock.

60's- and on into todays Rock/ Classic Rock/ Hard Rock / Metal
Not in preference- Van Halen, Iron Maiden, DIO, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Chevelle, Tool, Hoobastank, Seether, Green Day, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Thin Lizzy, Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, Stones, Beach Boys, Alice In Chains, Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Stone Temple Pilots, 38 Special, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cream, Peter Frampton, Boston, ELO, The Eagles, Donnie Iris, Fleetwood Mack, I could go on and on, but I think you get the picture.
No EDM, Rap, or seriously low frequency stuff
you will feel the energy from H40, They are pretty good allrounder, and the best is, for complex tracks they won't lost or sounds congested. And the high mids / trebles just nice on nice extension with sparkles, but wont go crazy or peaky that drill your ears with cymbals, crash and high pitch instruments.

My H40 has been sitting at customs since beginning of the week. No movement. Probably quarantine of packages from HK.

whoops so close yet so far. Hopefully you got yours soon and enjoy the party.

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #612 of 5,154
Don't know about the Shozy but I can tell you the Voyager 3 isn't going to have the bass impact or rumble of the H40. It can't as it uses a BA. Especially ones that cost $160. Lets just say BAs have their limitations when it comes to bass.

Interesting. The only reason I was wondering about the Voyager 3 is because in one of the BGGAR's youtube vids he still picks the Voyager over the Shozy 1.4. He does say it's not by much. I think it's in his top 5 or best of $100-$200 vids that came out not very long ago. He keeps repeating that he likes bass and from some of his music choices and the car audio thing I believe him. However in his straight 1.4 review he states that he likes the 1.4 over the Voyager 3. It's a bit confusing so I'm looking for others opinions about the pairing.

In one of his vids replied to someone that a review of the H40 is coming.

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #613 of 5,154
I dont have the voyager 3. I bet it sounds great and should be sufficient for rock. I recently did a review of the TSMR-3 pros. Which is another 3BA set and the bass on those was very good fast and nimble but my suggestion to Tansio Mirai was that they need to try a hybrid with the same tuning they got going on with their TSMR line of in ears. That would make for a really good hybrid.

I have a lot of BA sets including 12BAs,10BAs, 7BA,6BAs,several 3BA,2BA, single and 14BAs in the Zeus. None of them do bass like a dynamic. So that is where I was saying I doubt the Voyager 3 is going to be like a dynamic. It should be a good phone for what your looking for. Should do rock and metal just fine. Rock and metal need more mid bass than sub bass so that is where a speedy bass can sound really good for the genres. I suppose if you want to save a bit going for a voyager on drop for $150 is not a bad deal.

Feb 17, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #614 of 5,154
I never heard the hifiman RE400 but I checked the graph, from the graph looks like Sub bass and mid bass punch is much more in H40. If you like boosted bass, you will like them. But if you prefer the neutrality of the low end, I can't guarantee you will love the H40, H40 will be sounded more fun and engaging. But soundstage wise, H40 is 1 of the widest you can get, especially in this price range. And RE400 have peak on 6khz to perceive clarity, but I wont worry with H40 real clarity here. on 8 khz H40 have more sparkles too. So the H40 indeed will be more fun IEM with huge soundstage. Again, this H40 isn't cold or analytical, they more like DD timbre instead which many people like. I also prefer warm with decent clarity signature rather than cold/analytical (unless you are after a special genre that need that). Or can you tell us what you preference genre is?
Mostly mainstream ones: Pop, Ballad, Orchestral, Chinese vocals, some Rap & EDM occasionally,... pretty much everything except Heavy & Metal Rock xD

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #615 of 5,154
Mostly mainstream ones: Pop, Ballad, Orchestral, Chinese vocals, some Rap & EDM occasionally,... pretty much everything except Heavy & Metal Rock xD

H40 suits well with those genres IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back