ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN H60!
Jul 28, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #2,791 of 5,134
Took a quick listen to the EST50s after they've been burning in for ~30 hours. To my ear, they still sound like ***. In my experience, it is very rare (though not unprecedented), for something that sounds this bad to improve to the point of being a keeper simply through burn-in.

I am hoping to be proven wrong, but there may be a pair of those nice pretty orange/wood ones (4.4mm termination) up for sale soon.
Did you listen to the H40 before purchasing these?

Jul 28, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #2,792 of 5,134
Took a quick listen to the EST50s after they've been burning in for ~30 hours. To my ear, they still sound like ***. In my experience, it is very rare (though not unprecedented), for something that sounds this bad to improve to the point of being a keeper simply through burn-in.

I am hoping to be proven wrong, but there may be a pair of those nice pretty orange/wood ones (4.4mm termination) up for sale soon.

Ill take them out of your hands for half the price!

Let them burn a lil bit more before doing such! But yeah, if its not for you, maybe burn in wont change it!

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #2,793 of 5,134
30 hours is not much of a burn in. It takes a good week 150 - plus hours.

Maybe Bob is not a fan of colored sound. Don't know, no part of the EST50 is neutral and I hope when folks read my reviews they undestand how I am describing the sound.

It takes a minimum of 150 hours for the EST drivers alone. That silicone bass driver over time takes on the biggest transformation.

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #2,794 of 5,134
30 hours is not much of a burn in. It takes a good week 150 - plus hours.

Maybe Bob is not a fan of colored sound. Don't know, no part of the EST50 is neutral and I hope when folks read my reviews they undestand how I am describing the sound.

It takes a minimum of 150 hours for the EST drivers alone. That silicone bass driver over time takes on the biggest transformation.

I love the H40. Would you call that colored sound?

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #2,796 of 5,134
Maybe you got a broken set or it just needs to burn more. I'm not questioning what you're hearing but if you love the H40 this is a direct upgrade. What about it do you not enjoy?

Same as my original observation. The bass is monotone, overwhelming, and flabby. The kind of thing that sounds like it simply needs to be burned in more.

Which is what everyone is saying, and I'm hoping is true. I would love to be back here in a week and say, "Boy were you guys right". An upgrade to the H40 would be ideal.

I was just observing that in the past, when I disliked an IEM initially and people would say it needs to be burned in, I found it rarely changed all that much. Maybe I'm lowering my expectations so I can be pleasantly surprised.

I had a similar experience with the CA Dorado 2020. I ended up returning it within the return window.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #2,798 of 5,134
I am gonna tell you to have some faith. Just give it some time. I know your prior experience will tell you other wise but. The EST50 changes in tone that means drivers are changing with burn in. Give it some time.

In an ideal world all these new shiny IEMs would be optimal on open listen but that is not the case unfortunately.
EST50 took longer to burn in vs the H40 actually and yes the H40 is also a colored sound.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #2,800 of 5,134
I am gonna tell you to have some faith. Just give it some time. I know your prior experience will tell you other wise but. The EST50 changes in tone that means drivers are changing with burn in. Give it some time.

In an ideal world all these new shiny IEMs would be optimal on open listen but that is not the case unfortunately.
EST50 took longer to burn in vs the H40 actually and yes the H40 is also a colored sound.

Okay, brother, I'll be back in a week! (Unless I reach nirvana sooner)

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #2,801 of 5,134
Especially for folks that loved the H40. You honestly think I am gonna recommend a higher end EST50 that is gonna be one note with a flabby tone? All in due time my friend, all in due time.

Jul 28, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #2,802 of 5,134
Well, I never noticed any real change after the burn-in.
I can understand why it's hard to believe, if it's already a controversial topic. If the sound really did change that much, how come some people can't tell the difference ? (real question)

Jul 28, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #2,803 of 5,134
Well, I never noticed any real change after the burn-in.
I can understand why it's hard to believe, if it's already a controversial topic. If the sound really did change that much, how come some people can't tell the difference ? (real question)

With est50 or any iem?

Jul 28, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #2,804 of 5,134
With est50 or any iem?

Any iems. If the burn-in exists, then it can be negative ? And why we can't measure the effects of burn-in on the IEMs ? Psychology ? Only psycho-acoustics ?

Of course, I will try the before after burn-in as soon as I receive my EST50. I have no opinion, sometimes I wonder how it is possible to have so much change.

Jul 28, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #2,805 of 5,134
Well in my little experience, I've heard ESTs and beryllium DDs change with burn in (fd5/land). And land changes A LOT (from good, to bad, to horrible, to good, to perfect hopefuly). But yeah, I dont believe burn in changes something you completly hate to completly loving it. And Also theres brain burn in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back