ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN H60!
Sep 5, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #1,805 of 5,157
Okay, I think I’ve tried everything. My right D02 IEM is defective. It has ridiculous driver flex, the worst I’ve experienced yet, even with foam tips, which never happens on other problematic IEMs. My left ear is usually the side that causes driver flex, likely due to anatomy, but with my D02 pair, the driver flex is all on the right. I can barely get any driver flex on the left, even when trying to. More importantly, there is a channel imbalance, where everything images towards the left. I’ve gone thru my test music library and things are not correct. I tried swapping various cables w/o change. I switched the R and L cables, and the sound flipped appropriately, but was still imaging towards the left. Changing various ear tips didn’t help the channel imbalance. I don’t see any blocked vent. Covering the left vent skewed sound more rather than balancing it. Listening to mono sine sweeps, it is balanced towards the left, but it also swings side to side with frequency changes more than with any of my other IEMs. This is the main thing I dislike about ordering direct from China.

Edit: I‘ve found an unexpected fix. I find the stock tuning to have too prominent upper mids, that are shouty on certain tracks, particularly with certain female vocals and electric guitars. I decided to try placing micropore tape over the nozzles, and while I tried to place them symmetrically, somehow I ended up balancing out the sound. Now the stereo imaging sounds proper. I’m glad things worked out unexpectedly. The right IEM still gets driver flex easily, but when using CP145 tips, due to their shape, I am able to pull my ear up and back, then insert the IEM carefully, and not get driver flex. One thing to note about the D02, while it has large vents, due to being a tubed design, they don’t vent from your ear canal well, and pressure tends to build up. Usually there is a vacuum when pulling out the IEMs.

They look nice though.
379AA97C-B60B-4960-915A-6F54A62B855E.jpeg
AA02E294-2F98-4D1A-9C16-7E017A251648.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #1,806 of 5,157
Man that is not good. I would message Penon of the issues. I am certain they will right the wrong there. That is unreal. Seems recent D02 might be having some production issues. Penon is not gonna rip you off so I would most definitely tell them the issues your having. They read this tread so I am sure they are aware of some issues people are having.

No wonder you was having some mixed feelings about them. Don't know if these were in a rush to production but that is 2 headfiers so far.

If any of you guys are having issues with the D02. Let them know about it.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #1,807 of 5,157
Okay, I think I’ve tried everything. My right D02 IEM is defective. It has ridiculous driver flex, the worst I’ve experienced yet, even with foam tips, which never happens on other problematic IEMs. My left ear is usually the side that causes driver flex, likely due to anatomy, but with my D02 pair, the driver flex is all on the right. I can barely get any driver flex on the left, even when trying to. More importantly, there is a channel imbalance, where everything images towards the left. I’ve gone thru my test music library and things are not correct. I tried swapping various cables w/o change. I switched the R and L cables, and the sound flipped appropriately, but was still imaging towards the left. Changing various ear tips didn’t help the channel imbalance. I don’t see any blocked vent. Covering the left vent skewed sound more rather than balancing it. Listening to mono sine sweeps, it is balanced towards the left, but it also swings side to side with frequency changes more than with any of my other IEMs. This is the main thing I dislike about ordering direct from China.

They look nice though.
379AA97C-B60B-4960-915A-6F54A62B855E.jpegAA02E294-2F98-4D1A-9C16-7E017A251648.jpeg

Have you tried blowing/sucking air on the problematic side? Just try if it got vacuumed while in transit.

Sep 5, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #1,808 of 5,157
Ouch! Truly sucks to hear that @IEMusic
Hope you get your replacement soon.

Maybe because tubed design of the D02, I am finding insertion depth and careful ear-tips selection is crucial to get the best sound out of the D02.

@Dsnuts have you tried the spinfit tips?
I just tried CP145 and it sounds like a different set of earphones now. Slight honkiness that bothered me is gone and bass is also stronger now.
I was using stock blue, azla sedna short and spiral dots and they just sound wrong compare to the spinfits. Never experienced this drastic sound changes before with any other iems.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #1,809 of 5,157
Ouch! Truly suck to hear that @IEMusic

Maybe because tubed design of the D02, I am finding insertion depth and careful ear-tips selection is crucial part to get the best sound out of the D02.

I just tried CP145 and it sounds like a different set of earphones now. Slight honkiness that bothered me is gone and bass is also stronger now.
I was using stock blue, azla sedna short and spiral dots and they just sound wrong compare to the spinfits. Never experienced this drastic sound changes before with any other iems.

Damn so coincidence, i grabbed my spinfit collections cp100 cp145 and cp360 (for tws) yesterday for tip rolling session with my mofasest Trio, so far the best pairing with Trio. The cp360 is great pairing with Trio. Im using azla sedna short light before, tried xelastec (worst) too smoothen out with unnatural decay (gone too fast) the material absorb resonance faster than other tips, xelastec work great for "glaring" IEMs or a bit harsh edgy IEMs but not for already smooth IEM, tried spiral dot++ and normal too.

Not saying spinfit is the best just happen to have great pairing with certain IEMs

Sep 5, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #1,811 of 5,157
Generally I have never been a fan of spinfits, but what a find. Spinfits worked well with the Penon ORB but I am kinda speechless after this pairing with the D02.

Same here. Im not fan of spinfit, more towards spiral dot and azla brand generally.

Sep 5, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #1,812 of 5,157
Ouch! Truly sucks to hear that @IEMusic

Maybe because tubed design of the D02, I am finding insertion depth and careful ear-tips selection is crucial to get the best sound out of the D02.

You are right. This is very important. The difference between the D02 being on 'the edge' or over 'the edge', is a small one. The supplied tips actually take the D02 into a slightly unpleasant area in the upper midrange. I found a narrow tipped tip I had in my box of tips helped reduce this. This is a very edgy IEM that can grate a little in some vocals and some guitars, particularly with the stock cable. In the end I had to change the cable as well to my TRi i3 cable. This ISN D02 needs taming.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #1,813 of 5,157
You are right. This is very important. The difference between the D02 being on 'the edge' or over 'the edge', is a small one. The supplied tips actually take the D02 into a slightly unpleasant area in the upper midrange. I found a narrow tipped tip I had in my box of tips helped reduce this. This is a very edgy IEM that can grate a little in some vocals and some guitars, particularly with the stock cable. In the end I had to change the cable as well to my TRi i3 cable. This ISN D02 needs taming.
The stock cable is SPC I think. Do you mean OFC or single crystal copper helps to tame that edge?

Sep 5, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #1,814 of 5,157
The stock cable is SPC I think. Do you mean OFC or single crystal copper helps to tame that edge?
I just put the nearest MMCX copper cable to hand on which was the TRi i3 cable. I put my Spiral Dot L back on and it sounds more relaxed. Not sure what the copper composition is, but its the stock TRi i3 cable. When I get a chance I will try other cables. I didn't notice it at first...the over edginess. Could just be my mood...but I think there is something in the upper mids that needs taming. But the stock SPC cable may be a mismatch. Like I say may just be me...my mood. ?????.

Sep 5, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #1,815 of 5,157

They look nice though.
Consistent right side driver flex. Not good, but maybe a sliver lining is that they should be able to figure our what they are doing wrong in production to cause it.

My Left was fully dead so I had the opposite 'imbalance' :stuck_out_tongue:. If it had functioned, I wonder if I would have seen your imbalance instead. The extreme flex can't be normal.

I guess I'll keep low expectations for my replacement D02. They haven't left China yet, so its still awhile yet before they arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back