ISIS Appreciaton Thread
Dec 29, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #31 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys think of the Isis and Aereogramme collaberation?

I was kind of bored with it to be honest... It seems to lack grit.

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #32 of 65
Jumping in here late... I'm a big Isis fan, Panopticon is my favorite by far. Was a bit disappointed by ITAOT, but still enjoy it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys think of the Isis and Aereogramme collaberation?

I like it; though the third track loses me a bit, the first two are very nice.

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #33 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didnt know turner was in converge!

Ya aaron played second guitar up until 'petitioning the empty sky' he actually did the artwork for the cd too.

empty.jpg

Converge-PetitioningCD.jpg

i can't remember if converge let him go or if he left to focus on isis, but when he left kurt ballou remained the only guitarest for the rest of their releases.

Dec 29, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #34 of 65
I have the big three:
Oceanic
Panopticon
Absense of Truth

If you are reading this thread and are Tool fan you need to try Isis, you will like very much if you keep an open mind

Dec 29, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #35 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you are reading this thread and are Tool fan you need to try Isis, you will like very much if you keep an open mind

I'm a Tool fan. I would probably enjoy Isis as much as Tool if there wouldn't be any growling ruining some of the tracks.
plainface.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #36 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a Tool fan. I would probably enjoy Isis as much as Tool if there wouldn't be any growling ruining some of the tracks.
plainface.gif

You're missing out on alot of great metal if you don't like growling vocals. Try to see it as an extension of the music. Try if you can to almost ignore it and focus on the riffs/music/melodies. I don't doubt that you've tried this before, but keep persevering because if you can get to handling the harsh vocals, you really open yourself up to more great music.

Dec 30, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #37 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Floodedstatue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're missing out on alot of great metal if you don't like growling vocals. Try to see it as an extension of the music. Try if you can to almost ignore it and focus on the riffs/music/melodies. I don't doubt that you've tried this before, but keep persevering because if you can get to handling the harsh vocals, you really open yourself up to more great music.

QFT.

Dark Angel, always an authority on this type of music is right. Justin Chancellor appears on Panopticon, while IAOT is heavily Tool influenced. Even so, IAOT is a far superior release to 10000 Days, which shamelessly repeated the Tool sound, Isis tried to refine their sound and they did to a certain extent but there are a couple of failing that make IAOT not quite as consistant as their previous release.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or growl

Second that. That's the main reason why I haven't bought an Isis CD.

Well he's not really growling, hes shouting. The hardcore bark is a different technique than the death metal growl. If I misunderstood you, I didn't mean to be condescending, I just respectfully disagree.

IMO, part of the appeal of Post Metal, especially Isis, compared to other sub-genres it is completely free of the "cheesiness" found in death, doom, black etc...especially if it comes from Scandinavia hehe. One of my favorite bands, Opeth comes to mind, the music is amazing and the technical skill of the musicians is simply stunning. But it's almost like a barrage against your senses, the music is eternally "Bleak" (
wink.gif
) and lacks dimension emotionally. Post metal and post rock tend to be technically unimpressive, slow, ambient, and simple while emotion trumps all other considerations.

Dec 30, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #38 of 65
Quote:

IMO, part of the appeal of Post Metal, especially Isis, compared to other sub-genres it is completely free of the "cheesiness" found in death, doom, black etc...especially if it comes from Scandinavia hehe. One of my favorite bands, Opeth comes to mind, the music is amazing and the technical skill of the musicians is simply stunning. But it's almost like a barrage against your senses, the music is eternally "Bleak" (
wink.gif
) and lacks dimension emotionally. Post metal and post rock tend to be technically impressive, slow, ambient, and simple while emotion trumps all other considerations.

Yes the stylized vocal treatments in Isis are moderate and good practice/transition for someone to aclimate before moving to more extreme vocal styles of other dark metal groups......also Opeth is good transition group if a little more extreme vocally vs Isis.

The term cheese or cheesiness really applies mostly to power metal groups that employ the high falsetto vocal style using clean vocals (happy happy music)......reminds one of a Power Rangers sound track
k1000smile.gif

Some Black Metal groups have a very shrill savage repetitve style that get boring quickly, but never sounds cheesey because of its dark cold nature......some say Burzum for instance is just some guy moaning while sweeping with a broom, he he.

Enverxis........would like Isis, he should get Oceanic now!
(we know what he likes)

Dec 31, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #39 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
plainface.gif

Patu-youre preaching to the choir right here.
I have tried to get into harsh vocals over the years and usually, they just dont sit well with me, regardless of how much I listen to them.
However, ISIS is different.
I will have to agree with FloodedStatue on this; in ISIS-the growling acts as another instrument-a perfect extension of the music. Give it some time-force listen if you have to, becuase when it clicks it will be an incredibly rewarding listening experience.

Also, Akathriel-excellent point regarding the "bleakness" of Opeth vs. the multi dimensional/emotional ISIS.
The point you make is exactly the reason why I cannot listen to Opeth. Their dark/gothic sound is relentless and IMO, very depressing.

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #40 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The term cheese or cheesiness really applies mostly to power metal groups that employ the high falsetto vocal style using clean vocals (happy happy music)......reminds one of a Power Rangers sound track
k1000smile.gif

I disagree. Its evident throughout almost all modern metal, and while the vocals do have A LOT to do with it, it has a lot to do with the musicianship and stylistic choices as well, especially the progressions typically used in "melodic" metal. This is why I feel math and hardcore are generally absent of this. But otherwise, the quality is evident throughout irregardless of what you're listening to:Therion, Opeth, Dream Theater, Katatonia, Kamelot, Dragonforce, Electric Wizards, etc...
And I truly believe it is what makes metal unnapproachable to the general public compared to hard rock (like Tool). This is where Isis made a fresh impression, while almost exclusively using simple minors and power chords, the Isis sound is free of this quality which haunts almost all "melodic" metal.

I didn't express it well, and sorry if the ideas are jumbled and convoluted but I'm done ranting.

Jan 1, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #41 of 65
Quote:

Well he's not really growling, hes shouting. The hardcore bark is a different technique than the death metal growl. If I misunderstood you, I didn't mean to be condescending, I just respectfully disagree.

Yes probably not the best person to quote for a correction on the matter. I know more than well the difference, and I very much dislike Hardcore in all it's forms, so any Hardcore vocals except perhaps the ones on Maudlin of the Well will be called terrible by me.

I agree with Dark Angel on the cheese related issue, I think you might have too much of a bias to -core music that makes this impression. Dream Theater, Therion, Kamelot and Dragonforce share the cheesy riffs and happy sound that is cheese. Katatonia have the pathetic quasi-emo lyrics, which is not cheese just poor lyricism. Opeth have a few minors flaws, you're probably referring to the dark romance in their lyrics though, which certainly isn't cheese and it's well executed/written IMO. Electric Wizard have the "sabbath-worship" guitar sound, which isn't cheese either IMO.

Dark Metal is not cheese, I think that you just might have a problem connecting with the emotions and atmospheres that this music achieves, probably clashes with your personality or mindset. I can't listen to too much happy music, amd I have a problem with listening to most of the mainstream stuff, because I don't like the sound and I can't connect to it at all.
The emotions and atmospheres present in music that I can connect/relate to such as despair, disdain, desolation, depression, anguish, pain, loss, grief, solitude, fear, regret, sorrow are all found in dark metal, dark ethereal and dark ambient music. Most of this music is a negative art, I find solace and comfort in sadness and despair, so therefore 'tis my home.

Jan 1, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #42 of 65
I'm with Enverxis here.

I don't listen to a lot of the same metal he does because it isn't sufficiently involving in a musical sense from my point of view... but it definitely isn't cheesy. If anything, it works to invoke certain emotions that help the listener relate to what's going on... whether the darkly poetic lyricism, the brooding atmospheres, or the anguished and sorrow-filled moods that bring forth a sort of somber tranquility. There's no room in the picture for cheese. That's how I look at it anyway, but I'm not any kind of expert on that facet of metal.

Unfortunately, none of that does anything for me. I enjoy metal that pushes things in an instrumental sense... whether its technical death like Theory in Practice, Anata, and Gorguts; technical avantmetal like Behold... the Arctopus and Meshuggah, Gorod, and Gojira; straight left-field avantgarde stuff like uneXpect and Atrox; and whatever else fits the bill. I personally don't see the cheese in any of it - everything that is there, is there for a reason.

The cheese is reserved for the overly melodic power stuff.

Jan 4, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #43 of 65
Really latest Isis album "in the abscense of truth" is not too different in style from the masterful Agalloch "Ashes Against the Grain"

So fans of Agalloch should get newest Isis and work back to Oceanic, and fans if Isis must get all Agalloch albums!

Enverxis
RTN
Add Isis to buy list.........

Jan 4, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #45 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by keanej6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but i think agalloch is on a totally different level.

Do they growl?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back