ISIS Appreciaton Thread
Jan 4, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #46 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by keanej6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i love isis - a lot... but i think agalloch is on a totally different level.

Agalloch is more elegantly dark and sophisticated, and I also like them better overall vs Isis. Just making observation that if you like Agalloch you will very likely enjoy later Isis work also......

Patu
Both use clean vocal and some distorted vocals mixed in, but vocals take back seat to music which dominates thier styles.

Jan 4, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #47 of 65
patu - if you dislike the growling i recommend "The Mantle". Aside from having mostly cleaner vocals, i think it's their best effort. There are some rougher vocals, not so much growling but the higher raspy black-metal vocals but it's very appropriate and fitting to the music. Their debut album "Pale Folklore" and their latest release "Ashes Against the Grain" are fantastic as well though. Wish i could get my hands on their singles...

Jan 4, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #48 of 65
Thanks again for recommendations. I must check out Agalloch. This thread is turning out to be a great source for recommendations.

I'm sorry Akathriel if you feel that this is going offtopic.

Jan 5, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #49 of 65
ok back on topic, i'm seeing isis play in april with jesu.
icon10.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #50 of 65
I think lots of patience helps when you first listen to Isis as the music can be slow and repetitive; having no real vocal doesn't help either. It took me a while to appreciate Oceanic, although Panopticon was more a little more direct.

Jan 7, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #51 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the big three:
Oceanic
Panopticon
Absense of Truth

Isis peoples...........should I get Celestial CD?
Does it sound similar to big three?

Jan 7, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #52 of 65
Quote:

The term cheese or cheesiness really applies mostly to power metal groups that employ the high falsetto vocal style using clean vocals (happy happy music)......reminds one of a Power Rangers sound track
k1000smile.gif

I forgot besides the clean high falsetto vocals the other dominate sound of cheesey rock/metal is the prominate use of "happy" sounding keyboards, combine the two falsetto vocals + happy/sappy keyboards and you have your cheesey cheese wiz supreme.....

Jan 7, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #53 of 65
Quote:

Isis peoples...........should I get Celestial CD?
Does it sound similar to big three?

i like celestial a lot. you can tell it's not as mature as their later efforts but still very good. Celestial was the first isis cd i bought (years ago), and i didn't really like it so much at first. I had different tastes in music back then too though. The songs are kind of repetetive and drag and isn't as dynamic, but i still find myself playing celestial (the tower) and banging my head to it. You may find the ambient/noise tracks annoying, but you can always skip them. I kind of find them interesting to listen to.

Jan 7, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #54 of 65
btw does anyone here like Cult of Luna? I bought a cd from them and they are very very similar to isis. I was kind of pissed off that they sounded so similar to isis at first but they're actually really good.

Jan 7, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #55 of 65
Now I wonder if this is true? From Wikipedia:

It is rumoured that Isis are planning an adaptation of Charlotte's Web set in a universe that is "Somewhere between Terry Brooks and H.P. Lovecraft", touching mainly on themes of love, loss, transgender romance, isolation, mosquitoes, the tower, femininity, and man's search for a post-Neanderthal construct. This syncretic work is meant to interpolate the distance between man's meaningless wandering in the desert and the unkind supervision of the powerful omniscient. The lead character is said to be a hypothetical Neolithic deity who is presented with the task of fulfilling a list of labors, such as filling the ocean with mosquitoes, and building a Panoptic tower full of captive women.

eek.gif

I love IAOT and I can't wait for the next album. Would I be asking to much for a Isis/boris colab? *Think Isis oceanic/Celestial meets boris pink/drone evil final*
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #56 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by keanej6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw does anyone here like Cult of Luna? I bought a cd from them and they are very very similar to isis. I was kind of pissed off that they sounded so similar to isis at first but they're actually really good.

i loove cult of luna, possibly more than isis. each album is different though, i tend to prefer the earlier stuff, it doesnt sound so much like isis.

Jan 8, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #57 of 65
Sorry for going slightly offtopic again.

Now I've went through Agalloch - The Mantle and Jesu - Silver. Both of these albums are awesome. Jesu is totally different than Agalloch and Isis, but I probably like it the best. Agalloch - The Mantle I like slightly more than Isis - ItAoT.

I also went through The Gathering - Home. It's nice but not that special.

So thanks for the tips.

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #58 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Try Souvenirs and the EP Black Light District (my fav)

Jan 12, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #59 of 65
Quote:

Yeah I know Enverxis likes Home, but it's my least favourite release of theirs. I started with How To Measure A Planet... and Mandylion and they're probably the best two for me. So don't give up on The Gathering just yet because you've probably started in the wrong place imo.

Jan 12, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #60 of 65
Quote:

Sorry for going slightly offtopic again.

Now I've went through Agalloch - The Mantle and Jesu - Silver. Both of these albums are awesome. Jesu is totally different than Agalloch and Isis, but I probably like it the best. Agalloch - The Mantle I like slightly more than Isis - ItAoT.

So thanks for the tips.

Glad you like Jesu, I recommend checking out their self titled album as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back