ISIS Appreciaton Thread
Dec 27, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #16 of 65
Isis's lyrics are hardcore shouting, rather than the "cookie monster" technique used in death metal. But if you can focus on the instrumental interludes (most of Isis's work) since lyrics are just used for accent, you will eventually appreciate the extra dimension they add to the music.
Favorite tracks off of IAOT are 3-5 and Garden of Light
Oceanic....is consistantly amazing. If I had to pick my 3 favorite tracks, they would be the Beginning and the End, Carry, and Weight. Beginning and the End is the intro to the story, while Carry is the hieght of the affair, and Weight is after the young man has discovered the betrayal.

@J-pak No I didn't care for Altar actually. In some ways I drew the opposite conclusion that it didn't exploit the best of each artist, the first half of the album is excellent, but the second half is class a...filler. I'd be much more impressed if it were an ep. And yes 65daysofstatic is definately post rock. As I said before Isis IS post metal. Aarron Turner never describes the band that way because they basically pioneered the genre (well Neurosis laid the groundwork.) Other post metal bands off the top of my head that are semi decent are Cult of Luna and Pelican, but it is so easy to hear how the Isis sound has permeated and shaped the works of these artists.

Dec 27, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #17 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isis's lyrics are hardcore shouting, rather than the "cookie monster" technique used in death metal. But if you can focus on the instrumental interludes (most of Isis's work) since lyrics are just used for accent, you will eventually appreciate the extra dimension they add to the music.
Favorite tracks off of IAOT are 3-5 and Garden of Light
Oceanic....is consistantly amazing. If I had to pick my 3 favorite tracks, they would be the Beginning and the End, Carry, and Weight. Beginning and the End is the intro to the story, while Carry is the hieght of the affair, and Weight is after the young man has discovered the betrayal.

@J-pak No I didn't care for Altar actually. In some ways I drew the opposite conclusion that it didn't exploit the best of each artist, the first half of the album is excellent, but the second half is class a...filler. I'd be much more impressed if it were an ep. And yes 65daysofstatic is definately post rock. As I said before Isis IS post metal. Aarron Turner never describes the band that way because they basically pioneered the genre (well Neurosis laid the groundwork.) Other post metal bands off the top of my head that are semi decent are Cult of Luna and Pelican, but it is so easy to hear how the Isis sound has permeated and shaped the works of these artists.

Off of Altar, the only tracks I didn't care for were NLT and Fried Eagle Mind. But I suppose other than Etna the entire album is very heavily Sunn influenced. But I also managed to order when it was first announced with the bonus disc SatanOscillateMyMetallicSonatas which compliments the first disc nicely.

Patu: Jesu self titled is another album that is worth checking out.

edit: enough talk about other bands from me. I should let others comment about Isis
k1000smile.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #18 of 65
Isis is a very good band, but I think that In the Absence of Truth has some really irritating flaws.

For one, Aaron Turner cannot sing. No offense to the guy, but he sounds like 311's Nick Hexum with down syndrome. If he had stuck with his sparsely used roaring, it would have been a much more pleasant experience. As it is, every track that features his clean singing ends up grating on my nerves and disrupting the otherwise excellent atmosphere provided by the music.

Two, the album is very predictable from track to track. It isn't long before the dynamics feel less like dynamics and more like formulas - start with signature layers of clean guitars underneath Aaron's monotonous singing, build, build, and end with Aaron growling over the same double bass closing run. There are deviations, of course, but most of the tracks really do blend into each other a little bit too comfortably.

I prefer Oceanic and Panopticon.

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #19 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For one, Aaron Turner cannot sing.

or growl

Second that. That's the main reason why I haven't bought an Isis CD.

Dec 28, 2006 at 11:15 AM Post #20 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patu: Jesu self titled is another album that is worth checking out.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For one, Aaron Turner cannot sing.

True. I just said to my friend yesterday that maybe he has to growl because his singing sucks.
wink.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #21 of 65
Fortunately voices rarely impede my musical enjoyment. Blood Brothers, ISIS, Converge... all good.
As far as ISIS goes they friggin rock. The new album is a bit calculated with less emotion than Panapticon or Oceanic imo (havnt heard their older stuff yet). But still great.
Cant wait to see them live.
The previously mentioned Jesu and Pelican are also very good.
I think ISIS and Converge are tops in their respective genres.

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #22 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaghouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fortunately voices rarely impede my musical enjoyment. Blood Brothers, ISIS, Converge... all good.
As far as ISIS goes they friggin rock. The new album is a bit calculated with less emotion than Panapticon or Oceanic imo (havnt heard their older stuff yet). But still great.
Cant wait to see them live.
The previously mentioned Jesu and Pelican are also very good.
I think ISIS and Converge are tops in their respective genres.

I dont think ive heard anything by Converge.
Can you describe their music?

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #24 of 65
converge owns. you'll either love them or hate them. jane doe and the poacher diaries split with anb are their best releases imo though pretty much everything they've done is quality. actually petitioning is a pretty good cd too. "color me blood red"...sick. they change with every record but still retain all that is awesome.

though aaron turner used to be in converge their music is very different..converge play raw 'hardcore' music. some might say all their songs sound the same but they're quite a diverse band.

Dec 29, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #25 of 65
I am already a hardcore fan of GODFLESH and the reincarnation of GODFLESH which is jesu. I came across ISIS here at this very thread and upon checking Justin K Broadrick (jesu frontman) blogsite that they will be touring US with ISIS, that curiosity srtuck me hard - really hard.

So after work today I will be heading to my regular CD shop and I'll hunt for ISIS albums. God I need some intense stuffs right now......

Dec 29, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #26 of 65
glad to see im not the only one. I didnt know turner was in converge! Personally the singing in panopticon was perfect, with just the right coursness, instead of trying for a purity he doesnt have. broadick and isis have a long relationship so it was a logical decision. on sgnl05, broadick has a remix of celestial.

sorry if the post sucks its from a cellphone, but i didnt want the thread to die.

Dec 29, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #27 of 65
For fans of ISIS, I _seriously_ recommend Cult of Luna and Callisto. They are quite similar and inspired by ISIS, but also have their own sound. Especially the new album from Callisto called Noir, is actually very jazzy.

Patu, have you tried The Gathering? No growls to be found there, only great female vocals. Mandylion is their best album imo.

Dec 29, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #28 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patu, have you tried The Gathering? No growls to be found there, only great female vocals. Mandylion is their best album imo.

No I haven't but thanks for the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back