Isabellina HPA - Owner's Thread and Impressions
Mar 1, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #376 of 532
Well I decided to pull the trigger on the Isabellina. I'm looking forward to listening with my LCDs, now if only the next 3-4 weeks will scoot on by...
popcorn.gif

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #377 of 532
AFAICS the tube (1) is for sound signature only. But it sure makes a difference. Get a good tube as soon as the Isabellina is burned in. Some people don't believe in burn-in, but this combo really needs it. It will get a lot better after > 100 hours. But then it rocks
atsmile.gif

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #379 of 532
Well, happy day here. Got the Isabellina on hand and beginning to "burn" it in, as well as a 7308 Amperex tube. Out of the box I'm already diggin it, definitely noticing more air, treble, whatever you want to call it, up top in the higher frequencies.

Thanks Vinnie for being punctual and producing a good unit... really liking it so far.

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #380 of 532

Quote:
Well, happy day here. Got the Isabellina on hand and beginning to "burn" it in, as well as a 7308 Amperex tube. 

Congrats! Be sure and let us know how your Amperex tube compared to the stock JJ once they've had a chance to burn in!

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #382 of 532
I just had my new Isabelina arrived yesterday March 19th. I'am attempting to connect this to my AVReciever so I can use it to listen to Directv movie audio as well as Blu-Ray ..
Can anyone help.

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #383 of 532
gigman, how have you connected your sources (DirectTv and BluRay) to your A/V Receiver? Also does your A/V Receiver have digital out? If you connected the sound component from  your sources using a digital cable (optical or coaxial) and if your A/V receiver has digital out (optical out is preferred to electrically de-couple the Isabellina from the electrical grid) then it should be an easy thing to do. I assume you are wanting to use the headphone out of your Isabellina to listen to these sources, correct?

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #384 of 532
I have my DirectV and Blu-ray connected to my receiver as well as my Squeeze Box Touch. The AV has a digital source out. Please help as I don't really want to return the amp to Vinnie.

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #385 of 532

Quote:
I have my DirectV and Blu-ray connected to my receiver as well as my Squeeze Box Touch. The AV has a digital source out. Please help as I don't really want to return the amp to Vinnie.

Just connect the Isabellina to the optical or coaxial output of the receiver like mrarroyo said and you'll be all set.

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #387 of 532
In my experience the Isabellina DAC can only accept a 2-channel signal. If your receiver is outputting a 5.1 channel signal to the Isabellina then the Isabellina's DAC wont work. See if you can set the receiver or set your sources to output a 2 channel signal.

Just to be sure, try plugging the Isabellina into a source you know for sure will be 2 channel, such as the USB jack on your computer or the coaxial/optical jack on a CD player. If the Isabellina works with those sources but not with your receiver, then it's clear that your receiver is the problem. If the Isabellina still doesn't work even when plugged into your computer or CD player then your unit might be broken.

I hope that helps. Best of luck.

Mar 20, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #388 of 532
I got it to work with my squeeze Box Touch using the digital audio. The problem is the DirectV and Blu-Ray that are connected to my receiver via HMI.
There is no info in Vinnies paper work that is included with the amp that addresses any of this so any input will be greatly appreciated .

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #389 of 532

Quote:
AFAICS the tube (1) is for sound signature only. But it sure makes a difference. Get a good tube as soon as the Isabellina is burned in. Some people don't believe in burn-in, but this combo really needs it. It will get a lot better after > 100 hours. But then it rocks
atsmile.gif

Hi pachku,

See: http://www.redwineaudio.com/products/lfpv-edition#tubestage

and:

http://www.redwineaudio.com/products/lfpv-tubeinfo

The LFP-V Edition Tube Stage is not just for sound signature.  It is a buffer, so it has a very high input impedance and low output impedance... giving more current drive to the signal following the Isabellina dac board.  Yes - it benefits a lot from burn-in and 90% of it happens in the first 100 hours or so (there is no magic number, but this is the ballpark).

Hi Paganini Alfredo,

Quote:
Thanks Vinnie for being punctual and producing a good unit... really liking it so far.

Thank YOU - and I'm glad you are enjoying it and already getting into rolling
cool.gif

As you know, more tube rolling is discussed in this fairly recent thread on the RWA forum:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=v8p62nis6o0e22l1flq3bsg9ls33aqje&topic=91642.0

All,

Thank you for helping out gjgman - I appreciate it while I missed these recent posts.

Hi gjgman,

TMoney is correct - if you are not feeding a 2-channel PCM digital signal (SPDIF) from your receiver, then you need to change the setting in your receiver's menu to do
this.  Then you'll be all set.

The Squeezebox has box coax and optical digital outputs (2-channel SPDIF) and you can confirm they work, so your Isabellina dac section is fine (and you can test USB with your computer).  I believe the problem is how you are connecting to your AV receiver. 

I emailed you - if you can send me a link to the user's manual and let me know how you have it set up, then I can try to guide you on what to do.  The User's Manual for the
Isabellina HPA assumes you are running it with a 2-channel system (not home theater), as it was only design for 2-channel stereo.  So there is no section regarding 5.1 receivers, etc.

We'll get it all figured out - keep the faith!
smile.gif

All the best,

Vinnie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back