Isabellina HPA - Owner's Thread and Impressions
Sep 18, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #346 of 532

To the questions below, yes you can listen and send an analog output signal. When you order an HPA, you get the choice of fixed or variable outputs. When fixed it acts like a standard DAC. With variable, it acts like a digital line stage where the volume control varies both headphones and the output signal. Hope that makes sense.

Quote:
Question...
Can the Unit output through its line outs and drive headphones at the same time?

Say I wanted to use the line outs and feed the signal to my Meier Opera... could I do this?
This way a friend and I could listen to the same music but through two amps.

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #347 of 532
[size=small]LFP batteries have much lower internal resistance. Bass improvement is pretty obvious. Not sure about the comment on the charger. Here's how old and new charger compare:[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]Old: Plastic case, standard wall cord, metal barrel connector (don't know the name)[/size]
[size=small]New: Extruded aluminum case, same wall cord and connector[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]Both power-in and power-out cords can be detached for either new or old charger[/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]New charger varies in that it is much faster charge, and you can choose to both listen and charge, which was not an option with old charger / smart board. [/size]

Quote:
How is the bass on the lfpv compared to the old one?
Lack of impact, is that overall or does it lack impact compared to the old one?

I must say that I'm very disappointed over the new chargers looks. And I think that all cables should be detachable.

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #348 of 532
Yes kboe, and even if it is variable you can use the volume knob in the Isabella concurrent with the one in the other amp. It is not optimal but it would work. In my case since the Isabella has dual outs I should have asked for one fixed and one variable.

The bass has more impact than the previous version, I am trying to meet with HiFlight to compare the 30.2's side by side and prove or not what I hear.

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #349 of 532
Forgot to post my last experiment! I recently bought an used iRiver H120 and replaced the 20 Gb HD with an 80 Gb HD plus a 2,300 mAh battery. Proceeded to obtain a 3 foot long mini to toslink cable from Sys. Concept Inc. and today after loading a combination of ALAC and FLAC files unto the H120 I am enjoying a "totally off the grid" experience. Granted the two RWA units are still burning in with the stock tubes but I am very happy with the sound. Here is the latest picture.

Sep 18, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #350 of 532

Quote:
[size=small]LFP batteries have much lower internal resistance. Bass improvement is pretty obvious. Not sure about the comment on the charger. Here's how old and new charger compare:[/size]

[size=small] [/size]

[size=small]Old: Plastic case, standard wall cord, metal barrel connector (don't know the name)[/size]

[size=small]New: Extruded aluminum case, same wall cord and connector[/size]

[size=small] [/size]

[size=small]Both power-in and power-out cords can be detached for either new or old charger[/size]

[size=small] [/size]

[size=small]New charger varies in that it is much faster charge, and you can choose to both listen and charge, which was not an option with old charger / smart board. [/size]

The cable from the charger to the unit is still undetachable. It would be a nice feature if it was. Another nice feature was if the charger had the same look as the isabellina. Like a mini-isabellina. The Green/Red led in the front and power in/out in the back.

Think how nice it would be to have a nice small box next to your isabellina, with a nice powerchord and a short nice cable from the charger to the Isabellina.
1e8f9v.png

"Proportion-correct" drawing of my idea of how I want the charger to look like.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #352 of 532
Today I did my first tube roll on the Isabella LFP-V Edition. I took out the JJ E88CC and in went a pair of matched Tesla E88CC w/ gold plated pins (see pic below). I have been listening for about 3 hours and the sound seems to have a bit deeper/thicker sound, it is not syrupy, I also seem to hear a bit of an smoother presentation very subtle but still there. Next a pair of Russian 6H23n.

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #353 of 532
I really like the Tesla 6DJ8 on the Isabella, the treble has a tad more extension the detail has improved an so has the clarity and depth of the soundstage. Be advised the improvements are minor but noticeable, the one area the improvement is more than just minor is in the musicality of the presentation.

The Russian tubes are mellow but I find the overall presentation a bit veiled and muddy. Again the difference is not huge but somewhat disappointing since these tubes sound very good out of the older Musical Fidelity X-Can amps.

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #354 of 532

I just got my Isabella LFP-V Edition back from Vinnie and holy %^#$ its so sweet. I have been using some siemens cca tubes but will be trying some GE smoked glass tubes I recently got a bunch of them, also will try some Amprex matched pairs I have as well and report back.

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Sep 29, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #355 of 532

Sorry not a HPA but thought I should report back on the Isabella :wink:

Ok I finally got a chance to sit down and seriously listen to my new fitted LFP-V Ed Isabella and swap a few tubes. First the Isabella with the Li-Ion Phosphate power exceeded all of my expectations and was amazed by how much better it was, or what I remember over SLA. I am not sure what else Vinnie did to my Isabella but what ever he did with the upgrade it was a shocker. Ok yeah I am a RWA fan boy and all but seriously to put it simple and cut to the chase this headphone amp / DAC is honestly for real the best headphone amp DAC I have ever heard, and does things that no other amp can do IMO. The background was so black one would think that nothing was powered up dead quite and with articulation and separation, and yikes deep. My set up is a Macbook loaded with loss less and or HD tracks, LCD2 with a ALO 8 wire cable. Vinnie your amp is flat out sick, congratulations. I was really blown away by how much a difference it was when I switched from AC to the batteries, and again I do not recall as much distance between the AC and SLA's as there is now with AC and the Li-ion Po4's, your on to something good here. Listening to this set up made me want to listen to all my old music all over again and I wanted to listen all night. I think also a lot of my enjoyment and kudos might also be the pairing of the Audeze LCD2 and the new RWA Isabella, what ever it was and is a real treat. The power, depth, amazing texture, dimensionality and that signature sooo smooth silky no harsh or grainy sound that the RWA amp makes is what I admire most. There are amps (big AC powered tube rigs) that can have more force and boom pop than the Isabella set up but everything I have auditioned fails in the ability to put hair and fur on, put that 3d-ness along with the silky hard to get mid range that the Isabella can do and bring the lady to life all lit up, very nice.

Listening to

buena vista social club

lila downs una sangre

I had at my disposal a pair of Cca (ultra premium 6DJ8/6922) Siemens, made in Germany, 1970s vintage, gold pins matched pairs, matched pairs Amprex Orange Globe round getter and a MP of GE smoked glass 6922. At $350 a MP the Siemens duo had the most to give with superior detail, and body. It did have a slight amount of upper freq edginess and a lot of gain, still low notes and decay was so extended and warm, just beautiful.

The Amprex tubes seems to fall short or just about every mark compared to the Cca's, will not dwell here, the only thing that was notable was they has slightly less brassiness yet was truncated on many measures.

The shocker was the GE smoked glass tubes I had which were on par with the super fancy gold pin Siemens's tubes I had only the GE's had a very lush and warm note, VERY enjoyable and seemed to pair extremely well with will the Isabella, so much so I left them in the rig :) they has just as much detail as the Cca's but possessed a rich warm texture that I really liked. Given that these tubes are not crazy expensive, in fact cheap! I have to for sure recommend.

Again well done Red Wine Audio!

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 15, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #356 of 532

Hard to follow such a great review from Ken!

Well, my tube orders started to trickle into the house a couple of weeks ago and I began my first tube rolling listening tests last week....first in the idea that this is my first tube set up. I work overseas and was initially worried about the longevity/ sturdiness of the tubes being shipped, etc, etc. I used some of the recommended vendors from this forum and everything has arrived perfectly...I did miss out on on some of the Amprex Orange Globes....Ken bought all of them...haha. I was going to do as a couple people had mentioned here and spend a couple weeks with one, change back and reassess the subtle changes...but I have not quite gotten that far yet. I spent the first couple weeks with the stock tube and now a couple weeks with a German CCa.

My set up is similar to Ken's in many ways though I do have the Isabellina HPA LFP-V versus the Isabella with the modification. Most of my listening these days is with the Audeze LCD-2s (recabled with an ALO aftermarket cable, specifically the  LUX-FEP Chain Mail 8 Wire). I used the DAC setting on the Isabellina HPA through a Macbook Pro 17 inch with AIFF music files. I do have the Wadia iTransport 170 as well but it has been a bit glitchy as of late so I have been using the DAC almost one hundred percent of the time. I have the variable audio version of the Isabellina HPA and the LFP-V upgrades were done on an older Isabellina HPA. I am not as versed in audiophile speak as many of the great reviewers here but I will write what I hear.

First off I want to say that I was very happy with the original Isabellina HPA. I used it as my main amp for quite some time...so much in fact that I wore the battery out. I really did enjoy many of it subtleties and the way it presented the music...the non fatiguing, inviting sound of RWA. The LFP-V upgrades initially appealed to me primarily for the fact that I could change the battery myself as I am not very capable with soldering. I have lived overseas for many years and I enjoyed the Isabellina HPA to a point where I did not want to give it up for a month to send it back...the capacity to run on AC while waiting for a new battery is a plus for me as well. I found the tube phase desirable as I do like a warmer, more intimate sound and I have always wanted to try tube rolling...so it was more "the icing on the cake" for me to take the plunge. So I packaged up the Isabellina HPA, sent it the 8000 miles back to Vinnie, and then waited for my turn in line to receive the upgrade. My amp has traveled almost 40,000 miles over the course of its life...which looking at the way my mail usually arrives it really is a testament to the work that Vinnie puts into his amps and his attention to detail. The LFP-V upgrades really put the Isabellina HPA into another league in all honesty, it is a surprisingly better amp....and again I was thoroughly impressed with it before the upgrades. 

I work with alot of non-audiophiles (don't we all) but this is the first time that everyone that has listened to my set up has told me not to touch anything...they say it is perfect now...haha. They all get that look in their eyes...the distant far off look of one lost in the music, the same look we all get when we find that new song that speaks to our souls...audio nirvana. Vinnie took an amp that was beautiful on it own accord and then returned with a product that is simply amazing. The upgrade to me was worth every cent....for any of you on the fence out there I would say go for it!

Ok, so I spent the first couple weeks with the stock tubes the system comes with and the micro detail continually amazed me. Once again, the music collection was new...the little bits here and there that had been "missing" on older set ups appeared. The music was new and the night's listening sessions rolled into those should be sleeping hours. Luckily for me I work on a set schedule and due to my location there is plenty of time at night for lengthy listenings. I noticed that cymbals seemed to be very pronounced, has anyone else noticed that as well...the midrange is very open. The percussion in many of the recordings was much more detailed than anything I had listened to previously. I really liked this particular tube with female vocals in particular and for me the tube had a nice edgy sound that works well with more aggressive music...it added an extra grit to "dense music" that is very alluring...more on this later. I have a varied palette when it comes to music and can go from progressive metal to classic pieces in one session or even from song to song. This tube really works well with rock music and made it very lively and fun...

So, as the tubes began to trickle in the first tube on deck that arrived was:

The fist tube on deck was a German Sieman CCa (I am not sure on the year)....I must admit that this tube is quite magical to my ears for classic rock, indie rock, and blues. I spend many hours listening to classic and indie rock and I guess I never really took particular note of it before but many times in the audio recordings or the way the songs are reproduced in my set ups the lead vocals are very forward in the soundstage. This is especially noticeable in some of the lower quality indie rock recordings where you have the singer up front and the band is "somewhere in the distance" far back in the soundstage...likely purposeful in some recordings as it is a characteristic of the sound of this type of music. The really cool thing on this tube for me was that it seemed to slightly push the singer back about 10 feet and at the same time widen the sound stage, really almost a sense of a 360 degree sound stage in some recordings. I found it to be almost 3D at times as it really does seem the sound is coming from everywhere as it should sound versus from the  L and R or the front imaging you get with headphones. It is a little hard to explain but you get a natural echo at times from the music....as if you where sitting and watching the band play in a smaller venue and the bass was echoing off a wall behind you. I checked my door a couple time thinking someone was talking outside only to re-listen to a passage and realize that is was a band member shuffling or a back up singer was taking in a breath prior to coming in on a chorus line...or even a drummer picking up his sticks in one song. The mids are slightly less prominent than the stock tubes and from what I have read this is somewhat common for CCas but I would not say they are "dark". The micro detail is definitely there, the tube has a great bloom....the music seems to flow at times as if it was almost liquid, like the ebb and flow of a wave building in the ocean. It really just gives an amazing "live" sound to the music that is very addicting. In fact, if I was given one word to describe the sound I would use the word "live" as you get a sense that you are sitting in the sound room with the band in many of the recordings...you hear a small noise off the side of the room and you can hear the lead singer looking a little to his side to see what the noise was while he is singing. 

To give another example of the impact of this tube in the set up...I have a buddy who is a huge Led Zeppelin fan...he has spent years hunting down every bootleg, live recording...every possible version of their songs that he can find but he would never listen to them on headphones as he said it never did their sound justice or just didn't sound like Led Zeppelin to him. We have a common passion for music so every time I get a new set of cans, cable or amp I will set him down and have him give me an impression of what he hears...the subtle changes to the sound or the presentation as he hears it, his impressions, etc. So, I sat him down with the Isabellina HPA LFP-V and ran him through a couple of tracks off of The Black Crowes, Croweology album which is quite good...I am not a huge Black Crowes fan but this album really is something special. After a couple of songs from the Crowes I moved into a couple other genres to give him a feel for the changes.....but he asked me to put on some Zeppelin and you could almost see the tears in his eyes...perfect. There is a special little slice of heaven when all the pieces of your set up come together...some times it is for a certian song or a certain type of music...where it just reaches out and grabs you....it has been a couple of weeks now since the Sieman CCa, the LCD-2s and the Isabellina HPA LFP-V came together for my ears...it works so well for me that I have not gotten around to switching out tubes yet...sorry guys. 

A small side not is that on what I call "dense music"...more in the melodic or doom metal sphere (think Hypocrisy for those who like this genre of music or older Amorphis for example) this tube has such great separation and detail that the "wall of sound" effect that many of these bands use is broken down into smaller separate pieces and I think it takes a little of the edge away from this types of sound...I assume this is due to a flatter mid range than the stock tube. It still does well with some progressive metal bands such as Opeth that move from extremely complex "clean" passages into large crescendoing passages and back. For many of the wall of sound, darker melodic bands I do prefer the stock tube for its mid range presentation giving what I would refer to as an extra grit...punch or graininess.

I have really enjoyed both the stock and the CCa tubes in the Isabellina HPA LFP-V....each seemed to excel in their own special ways across the spectrum of music that I listen to. I do think that the CCa has some magical qualities on certain recordings while not as "edgy" on other recordings that the stock tube excelled with...but with right genre of music like Zeppelin, southern rock, classic and indie...I have never heard them all sound quite so good!

Thanks Vinnie for all your hard work...wish I was better able to put what I hear down on the review in a way that would convey the subtleties of the sound.

-CA

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #357 of 532

...I noticed that cymbals seemed to be very pronounced, has anyone else noticed that as well... 

On my LFP-V upgraded Isabella, I notice a difference in the cymbals compared to before the upgrade. However, I'd say they're not more pronounced, but they have more clarity to them. On some songs, I now hear sizzlers on the cymbals, which I hadn't noticed before.

And Combat, whatever it is you're doing over there in Kabul, THANKS, on behalf of those of us back here in the states.

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #358 of 532
All,

I apologize for being away from this thread for a while - I'm crazy backlogged on LFP-V Edition units and upgrades, and been busy with the Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo, a phonostage soon to be released, RMAF, and more... (yeah I know, excuses, excuses
biggrin.gif
)

Quote:
How is the bass on the lfpv compared to the old one?
Lack of impact, is that overall or does it lack impact compared to the old one?

I must say that I'm very disappointed over the new chargers looks. And I think that all cables should be detachable.

Hi Backwardsman,

LFP-V Edition has more bass impact than the previous version - but still very tight and controlled. 

Regarding the charger, it was never supposed to be a "show piece" - you just leave it on the floor (like a laptop charger).  The power cable to the charger is detachable, and the charger cable to the Isabellina HPA is detachable. 

Quote:
Question...
Can the Unit output through its line outs and drive headphones at the same time?

Say I wanted to use the line outs and feed the signal to my Meier Opera... could I do this?
This way a friend and I could listen to the same music but through two amps.

Hi Kboe,

yes - absolutely!  "Sharing means caring" 
wink.gif
(sorry - my 3.5 year old daughter is getting into Barney).

Quote:
Forgot to post my last experiment! I recently bought an used iRiver H120 and replaced the 20 Gb HD with an 80 Gb HD plus a 2,300 mAh battery. Proceeded to obtain a 3 foot long mini to toslink cable from Sys. Concept Inc. and today after loading a combination of ALAC and FLAC files unto the H120 I am enjoying a "totally off the grid" experience. Granted the two RWA units are still burning in with the stock tubes but I am very happy with the sound. Here is the latest picture.

Hey Miguel,

Nice!  And thanks for posting your impressions (and your tube rolling experiences) and pics!

Quote:
ok yeah I am a RWA fan boy and all but seriously to put it simple and cut to the chase this headphone amp / DAC is honestly for real the best headphone amp DAC I have ever heard, and does things that no other amp can do IMO.

Hey Ken,

Stop being a fan boy and get back to work!  Seriously - thanks for posting your impressions of your LFP-V Edition (and pics, and tube rolling experiences) as well!

Quote:
The LFP-V upgrades really put the Isabellina HPA into another league in all honesty, it is a surprisingly better amp....and again I was thoroughly impressed with it before the upgrades.

Combat Audio! 

Great to hear from you, too! 

Quote:
Thanks Vinnie for all your hard work...wish I was better able to put what I hear down on the review in a way that would convey the subtleties of the sound.

Are you kidding?  Your post was damn good - and I greatly appreciate it and am glad your Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition is bringing you so much enjoyment in such a stressful environment. 

I echo what Bostonears said  - thank YOU!  Stay safe and we all wish you well, and appreciate your service.  When are you coming home?

Hi Bostonears,

Thanks for your post!

You all have been great and I have enjoyed working with every one of you - and as always, feel free to contact me if you have any questions or if I can be of service. 

Also (shameless request), if any of you can copy and paste your review posts to this section of headfi - I would greatly appreciate it:

For the Isabellina HPA (and please mention if you have the LFP-V Edition)

http://www.head-fi.org/products/red-wine-audio-isabellina-hpa

There is also a spot for the Isabella dac/preamp/headphone amp:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/red-wine-audio-isabella-preamp-headphone-amp

A lot of people who come to headfi never make it to the ALO forum (why?!!!!!) and never get to see this great thread.  So thanks again!

Happy listening, Always!

Vinnie

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #359 of 532
Bostonears I agree with your assessment, the clarity on the cymbals is apparent versus them being more pronounced...that is a better way of putting it.

Vinnie, glad to see that you let yourself take a short breather and had some time to post a little on the forum...I can only imagine how busy you are keeping with the LFP-V upgrades.

Thanks to both of you for your kind words! In reality, I am glad to be doing what I can over here...but I do appreciate it. As you can imagine, there is plenty to be done and it never really seems to ease up or smooth out too much here.

On a separate note, I did get around to switching to a 1957 "pinchwaist" Miniwatt Amperex last night. The initial listenings were very promising but it was late and I will give it more time before I post any impressions...

If it is ok with everyone, we can continue to post impressions with different tubes here on this thread or we can set up another one for "tube rolling" specifics...if that is what we want to do. I feel it was more of a natural progression for this thread but I don't want to lead the conversation in a different direction....any thoughts?

-CA

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #360 of 532

If it is ok with everyone, we can continue to post impressions with different tubes here on this thread or we can set up another one for "tube rolling" specifics...if that is what we want to do. I feel it was more of a natural progression for this thread but I don't want to lead the conversation in a different direction....any thoughts?

-CA

There's already an interesting tube rolling thread for the Isabella in Vinnie's forum on AudioCircle, where you might take a look for starters. I guess a separate Isabellina HPA tube rolling thread here on Head-Fi would make sense though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back