Is your Headphone setup more expensive than your Speaker?
Sep 17, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #31 of 149
Home theater surround system and 2 channel stereo represents a significantly larger investment than the HP rig. But I've only been getting into better quality headphone gear for about 18 months.
atsmile.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #32 of 149
No, but I think it's pretty close.

My main speaker set up (MBL 1001E) is in the low 6 figure range (speakers, amps, preamp, digital and analog sources, cables, racks, power conditioning). My headphone set up (all of my headphones, amps, sources, cables, racks, and power conditioning) is in the high 5 figures range.

It's a bit nuts, to say the least.
L3000.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #34 of 149
I will only be using a set of speakers built this weekend for the comming 3 seasons. Space limitations. The cost of building that setup is far less than my headphones ($130 for the T -amp and the building of speakers). Although my money wrapped up in all speakers (5.1 setup going to storage) is still less than my head-fi damage meter...which is not bad compared to many people here.

Sep 18, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #37 of 149
i think it is really a one way choice. This is a headphone forum and most of us don't have enough of money to devote for a good speaker setup(around 10k in my opinion) which can produce sound as good as headphones at a lot of lower price tag.

Sep 18, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #38 of 149
I dont even HAVE a speaker set up. The closest i have to a speaker setup are the internal speakers of my macbook. does that count?

Of course, im just holding out till i get my own place and I have a room devoted to it. OR maybe ill just stick to my dark-bright 650-880 combo. Yeah, maybe ill stick to that.

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #39 of 149
The Dynaudio Confidence C1 speakers I'm using cost a bit more than my Qualia 010 headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #40 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Dynaudio Confidence C1 speakers I'm using cost a bit more than my Qualia 010 headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice choice! I'm a big fan of the Confidence range and having purchase the C2s my speaker rig is about 30 times more expensive than my headphone rig. Headphones are just for on the go and work time listening. When I'm at home it's speakers all the way. If someone else is using the lounge room I'll even listen to my ****ty $100 creative computer speakers over my much better headphone setup. Usually because I'm tired of listening to headphones at that point (I use them for about 6 hours a day at work).

Sep 18, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #41 of 149
Indeed!
5+ times as much, if not more...

Sep 18, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #42 of 149
I dunno if this is fair...isn't it the case that to achieve the same SQ speakers cost more? That's been the case in my experience, but I might be shopping for the wrong things in the wrong places...

It seems though, that most of us spend a heckuva lot more time using headphones than speakers.

Sep 19, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #44 of 149
I just got Logitech 2.1 setup, i was actually gonna buy the BOSE Companion 3 (or any other speakers for my computer i am not really interested in Hi-Fi systems) but decided to get an earphone instead roughly the same price. And i can use it at work, travelling as well.

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #45 of 149
My speaker set-up is more expensive. As mentioned, to get the same level of sound quality, you have to spend more on a speaker set-up than a headphone system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back