Is your Headphone setup more expensive than your Speaker?
Sep 17, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #16 of 149
My headphone rigs are not even close to the cost of my speaker systems.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 17, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #17 of 149
By far. My speaker setup is a Chestnut Hill George ipod speaker ... well i'm much more a headphone lover. Maybe in the future i'll have a decent speaker setup as well to enjoy music with some pleasant female company ...
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #20 of 149
My wife has brought some average 500€ consumer speakers into the marriage. Utilizing them has become totally pointless since becoming a HP nerd. They mostly display kiddies stuff & girl music thus.

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #21 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2!

It does not take a genius to foresee what kind of result this poll will net at the end of the day. A majority of members here will undoubtedly dedicate their funds to building a headphone rig, whose cost will likely exceed whatever speaker system they may own.

That said, I actually belong to the group whose speaker rig costs more than its headphone counterpart (well, the individual component cost anyway).
smily_headphones1.gif

Equivalent performance speaker setups cost far more than headphones would. Lots of people love headphones but still spend cash on speakers.

I'd say I'm very happy with my headphone setup now, and that it outperforms my speaker setup. But the speakers still cost more.

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #22 of 149
Yes. I only paid $50 for my Ohm Walsh 3's.

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #23 of 149
My headphone setup is about six times as expensive as my speakers. Some of my friends have speaker systems in the same price range, however, and none of them come close to HD650 in fidelity.

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #24 of 149
My speaker setup is way way way more expensive than my headphone setup.

That said, I use headphones much more often.

My speakers are in a room that I share with furniture and family members - it is compromised whereas my headphones give bigger "bang for the buck" for my listening pleasure.

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #25 of 149
My 5.1 was ~$800, and my hp rigs run $1100-$5000. Understand my wife refuses to have sound reproduction in the family room (25'x25') with her 52" LCD, but all the rest is in my office, 12'x14', so, by definition, there simply is no room to 'invest' in speakers (with desk, chairs, etc)... yet.

Given my space constraints, speakers will never be the players that headphones are.

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #26 of 149
All in all, my home theater setup (7.1) is more expensive than my HP setup, but only as far as components go. I've sunk more time into the HP rig, and have been more critical of things like ICs and other cables. My HP system ran me about $2500 or so, but my HT was closer to $10,000 (just shy...that includes LCD TV, etc. - see profile for "stuff"). Still, my HP rig is more detailed and resolving, and when I listen to music, its with that.

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #27 of 149
No.
Not even close... yet.

My main system is an Onkyo A-8190 behind two bridged Adcom GFA-555 amps, driving a pair of Infinity SM-155s and RS-5000s. (I switch between the two depending on the music).

Since getting into MP3 players, my home audio system listening has dropped off a lot.

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #28 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_d_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My headphone set-up is more expensive than my speaker set-up. Reason for this, is because I do more serious listening with headphones while the speakers are for watching movies or playing the turntable.

X2

I only use my Denon AV amp to drive PMC TB2 when watching movies, yes an AV amp drive only 2 channels.
atsmile.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #29 of 149
while they are close, if we put together all the components of my budget-fi audio system (aiwa receiver $135, kenwood tower speakers $110, insignia bass reflex speakers $60, total $305 without cables etc.) is about the same as my headphone total (sf5p $180, denon d1001 $80, fiio amp $8, total $268 without comply foams, cables, batteries etc.).

I am a broke college student with two roommates and we throw parties in our room, watch movies, and play xbox, so my speakers get a lot of use.

My headphones and I have a more personal relationship.

However, if we count my new ipod touch, sansa clip, etc. I have spent much more on my portable set up than speakers.

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #30 of 149
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'speakers': $30, headphones and amp: $500 or so.

Edit: why an award for the speakerless?

because he is the perfect Head-fi member.. who can live without speakers.

Also because its hard to imagine a person without speakers...i mean speakers also sell for like $10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back