Is ultrasone hfi-780 a worthy upgrade to shure srh440?
Apr 15, 2011 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

devilmaycry-jason

New Head-Fier
Title says all. Hfi-780 runs about 300 brand new here in Canada. Just noticed B&H sell it around 160 and ships to Canada. Very temping indeed.  I used to have the hfi-700, really like the punchy pass. My question is: I m using a shure srh440 right now as an ipod headphone.  Mainly using it for ipod and laptop. 320 kbps not lossless and straight out. No amp and not planning having one.  I was just wondering  what is the differences between these two in terms of sound quality? Is the hfi-780 a major upgrade over the srh440? thanks

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm not sure it's a huge upgrade, but I definitely like the sound more than the Shures.  They are really musical and engaging, but some people find them way too bright and metallic.

They do have the punchiest bass I've heard.

I can vouch for B&H's shipping to Canada with import fees prepaid.  They arrived very fast and without hassle.

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
I'm not sure it's a huge upgrade, but I definitely like the sound more than the Shures.  They are really musical and engaging, but some people find them way too bright and metallic.

They do have the punchiest bass I've heard.

I can vouch for B&H's shipping to Canada with import fees prepaid.  They arrived very fast and without hassle.

thanks. I often find the shure s not puchy enough. With the HFI700 I can literally feel the bass. And I know that 780 is even better than the 700. Sometimes.  I even think the UE SF5 pro has better bass than the shure despite it's much much smaller.

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 7
I find it sad that so many people only talk about bass in terms of quantity.  I've had some that have plenty of bass, but it's fuzzy-blanket bass, not punch-in-the-gut bass, which the 780 delivers in spades.

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I would not pay full retail for them- get them used. They are a fun headphone and great with movies.

with shipping and taxes, duties included. comes close to 200. still damn good price since it sells 299.99 at amazon.ca. btw,what do you guys think about the 2400? it retails about 250 here in Toronto which actually a  quite decent price.

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 7
I personally like neutral sound not really a bass head. After the sf5 broke. I was kinda on budget. And I choose the UM1 over the S4 just since the S4 s just too bassy and muddy sounding without any middle or high to speak of. The SRH440 has the similar characteristic like the UM1 IMO. But sometimes I just missed the low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back