Is this safe to do
Aug 5, 2010 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Takomasan

New Head-Fier
I just got some 595's and to burn them in is it ok to play music at mp3 128 kps or does this affect the sound quailty (in the long run)

I ask this because most internet radio stations are 128 on winamp

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #2 of 18
There're already many threads on this. Just use the SEARCH.

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 18
"burning in headphones"

Aug 5, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 18
What you play through your headphones will have no affect on your headphones (with the exception of any sound way too loud). As for burn in, it is not a property of headphones, it is a property of your mind. As you listen to the headphones you will either instantly like and remain liking their sound signature, or you will grow to like it or not like it.

Aug 5, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #6 of 18
any bitrate of noise, music, etc... Your headphones won't care :D Just don't play it over the clipping limits of your amp/source and also make sure the headphones are also not overdriven and distorting.

As for the effects of burn in, some cans change more than others. Then the psychological factor of brain burn in is also true. Sometimes you just adjust to the sound of your cans more than your cans actually change through burn in.

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 18
Music is just fine, however, you must make sure its not too loud and you do not ever burn in for more than 8 hours at a time

pink noise is DANGEROUS.  I have NO CLUE why people would use this.  It is not as effective as normal music offering a variety of frequencies and lets the drivers move where as pink noise does not.  ( a while back i posted a pink noise track and did some investigations into it, i made a huge mistake and found it to be incredibly damaging to some headphones.)

pink noise usage must be stopped :frowning2:

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #8 of 18
What makes you say that pink noise is incredibly damaging to headphones? What is your basis for this statement? Also, why would pink noise not move a driver and why the 8 hour limit to burn-in? If you are burning in at a reasonable volume then there should be no issues. Most headphones are well ventilated, especially so when they're just sitting on a stand being burned in.

Aug 5, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #11 of 18
I know I've said this before, but listen to your headphones and enjoy them.  If burn-in exists, you will get to enjoy them as they change.

If not, you will enjoy them as your ears adjust.

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
I know I've said this before, but listen to your headphones and enjoy them.  If burn-in exists, you will get to enjoy them as they change.

If not, you will enjoy them as your ears adjust.

Exactly. I'm a strong proponent of the whole 'burn-in is psychological' camp. There's no point in playing them off of your head, IMO.

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #13 of 18
Exactly. How do you know if you are going to like the sound of your headphones in the long term if you don't listen to them?

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #14 of 18
There are exceptions. My hd555s for example were super thin with lots of reverb and super bright when I first bought it. They were total garbage not even as good as apple earbuds LOL Those cans really needed the burn in to be enjoyed in the first place. They are now smooth and dark. There is no amount of brain burn in that could have done that.

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #15 of 18
It affect the sound quality there and then, but I do not see how it will have any affect for later.
Just go on...

Consider going for higher bitrate later though, especially if you want to do some serious listening. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back