Is this normal?
Nov 4, 2008 at 1:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ljcii

100+ Head-Fier
I often listen to my earphones.

However, nowadays, when i'm not doing anything, like just watching television or something, i hear some ultra-high frequency at my ears for awhile.
Sometimes, this occurs even when i'm listening to music.
It just goes beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep at the ears.(like 20khz)
I doubt it's the surroundings since sometimes it occurs when the music is even playing.

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 22
Probably not normal. You should see a physician or professional.

The problem with asking Head-Fi is, no one here is qualified to give you a diagnosis, and if they are, they can't examine you.

There will be many people on this board who've had issue with their hearing. They will post their stories, which is fine; however, your genome, environment, listening habits, state of health, etc. will differ from theirs. Reading their stories may lull you into a false sense of well being or scare you into believing you'll be deaf by the end of the day. Neither will do you any good.

Please see a professional and maybe lay off the headphones until you do. Get well!

Nov 4, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 22
I get this randomly too, but not all the time. If it's constant, it could be mild tinnitus. Is it annoying you? Are you playing music very loud?

Nov 4, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 22
Tinnitus (if its that) is not normal. But its certainly not all that rare either.
If it continues, then you probably better get it checked.

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 22
You know, it's that kind of sound when you're in a damn silent room then there's this ringing high-frequency sound in your ear.

And , they occur quite randomly. Perhaps like 1ce in 3 days or a week.
But i notice it when it happens.

I'm probably listening too loudly

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it was called tittinuts? No wonder why my physician was laughing at me!

haha!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #9 of 22
Oh so i had tinnitus.
Anyway, i checked on internet yesterday and found out more about it too.
Anyway, i had this even when i was a kid.
Whenever my dad leaves me in the car alone, the bee comes.
You mean you guys don't have this even at a young age?
Luckily i haven't got it at all since posting.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check with your doctor or an audiologist and follow their advice.

It never hurts to turn the volume knob counterclockwise, either.

Done so already
smily_headphones1.gif

But i'm not going doctor though, dad will probably kill me.
And oldblueyez was that meant to be a joke?

Thanks everybody.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #15 of 22
It could be tinnitus, but if you've experienced it for most of your life (i.e. before starting to listen to loud music) then it could simply be your ears themselves generating the sounds as your cochlea resonates naturally. This resonance will stimulate the hair nerve cells in your inner ear that send electrical impulses to your brain, fooling it into thinking that you are hearing something that isn't actually there.
You should still get it checked out by a doctor/audiologist though, as they are the experts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back